AutoCAD for Mac Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD for Mac Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD for Mac topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Auto CAD LT 2012 MAC very slow files, lots of xrerf's

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
push-pull
565 Views, 4 Replies

Auto CAD LT 2012 MAC very slow files, lots of xrerf's

I have a multi family project that I am doing architectural services on.  We were given the GC's cad files for editing along with an appology for the complexity and slow drawings.

A typical set has the following drawing tree:

Single family unit A: Comprised of large blocks that include info for all floors on associated layers. These large blocks include the main drawing as well as options for being adjacent to unit B, unit D and unit C. the blocks are very so complex they have to be edited in place.  Many blocks contain over 20 nested blocks with in them.  I purged REGAPPS and it saves at an ok speed. the different units A,B,C,D are all built the same way.

Building file: Has all four units referenced.  All units have at least 8 cliped instances with in the building file.  This allows us to see all the available options for that building. So four building options with four xrefed units equals min 40 clipped xrefs of the units.  This file takes quite a while to reload xrefs or as a save function.  I have added layouts to this .dwg.  Every time I change layout space or model space being viewed it takes even longer to load.

Sheet file:  Has the building file xrefed.  Has sheets set up for the variety of options.  when I reload xrefs or save this file I can take a bathroom break, heat water for tea in 2 minutes come back to my desk and I still have to wait for it to finish.  I have decided that this sheet is superflous as it is only for layout.  I have started doing the layout in the building file. Changing layout or model space also takes forever.

When these files sit there chomping away my activity monitor show one core maxed out.

I have purged regapps, empty text objects and zero length vectors.  I am worried about purging other things as i don't know what some of it is and need to keep scales, annotative objects, and blocks in place until we have finished the project.

If this is just the nature of so many xref's and nothing can be done I would like to be able to open multiple instances of AC LT so when one is stuck reloading I can work in another file in a different launch of AC LT.

I would gladly upload the files if you'd like.  I will need to do it in multiple posts as it would be 6 files.  I could use a third party site.  I would apprecieate a recomendation on a free temporary host.

The biggest problem is interuptions in work.

Thanks for you're time on this,

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
push-pull
in reply to: push-pull

Here are the unit elevation files.  These are not nearly as intense as the plans.  However at this stage I am primarily working on elevations.  I have loaded the origional files I recieved so you can see what i started with.

Message 3 of 5
push-pull

Here are the building file and sheet file. I have loaded the origional files I recieved so you can see what i started with.  So I have since ditched the sheet file and put those layouts in the building file.  However the performance issues are the same.  These are just cleaner drawing as it is from before being thrown into the frey with a quick deadline and a complex system.

Message 4 of 5
push-pull

And incase it comes up I had to run audits on all of these.   

Message 5 of 5
maxim_k

Hi David,

I checked your drawings and have to say that I can see the issues you are experienced.

Further more, I tested your set of drawings in AC for Windows an got the same results. So the main case, I think is in Xref mechanism itself.

I noticed, that if I remove all instances of external references to the same external file, except one in "building file"  - everything works quicker (in-place editing, updating references, etc.)

To say true, I'm rarely using external references in my daily work, but in this case I can advice you to "split" your "building file" into parts so, that you will have only one instance of the same Xref in this file.

You can also try to create duplicates of Xreferenced file (if you need to have 6 references to the same file in your "building file", than create 6 duplicates of external reference, than insert each of the duplicates to your "building file".

Or you can "split" Xreferenced file into 6 parts, in such a way, that each file will contain the area you want to insert into one place in "building file", than insert each of the 6 splitter files to master drawing.

You can also try to post your question in AutoCAD for Windows Forums and ask about tricks to optimize Xref performance, because as I mention before, this is a problem of AutoCAD in general, not only in AC for Mac. If you will be advised to use Sheet Set manager, than keep in mind, that you can not use Sheet Set Manager in AC 2012 for Mac and SSM in AC 2013 (2014) for Mac has limited functionality.

Maxim

Do you find the posts helpful? "LIKE" these posts!
Have your question been answered successfully? Click 'ACCEPT SOLUTION' button.

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Etiquette and Ground Rules of Autodesk Community

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost