AutoCAD for Mac Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD for Mac Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD for Mac topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyway to get the ribbon to show up in the 2015 Mac version?

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
JPCAD000
7000 Views, 4 Replies

Anyway to get the ribbon to show up in the 2015 Mac version?

Question 1:

I'm curious why Autodesk doesn't make the user interface for the MAC version the same as the PC version? The user interface on the PC version of 2015 is beautifully done. However the user interface for the 2015 MAC version leaves a lot to be desired. I use many other programs like Photoshop and others on my MAC where the interface and functionality is virtualy identical to the PC version.  Is it really that complicated to just repeat what you've done with the PC version with the MAC version? 

Question 2:

Does anyone know if it is possible or if there is a work around or some routine to get the ribbon to appear in the 2015 MAC version? These little floating bars all over the place are awful.

This whole AutoCAD with MAC experience is very strange - why does Autodesk keep giving us this dumbed down version of AutoCAD for MAC???? Either their developers know how to make it good and aren't doing it for some strange reason - OR - they just can't figure out how to make it as good as the PC version - either way the MAC version is not good for anyone, especially Autodesk. 

Oh and PS: Thank you Autodesk for finally adding "layer states manager" to the 2015 MAC version of AutoCAD - that was seriously needed. But...you might want to take another look at the genius development team that forgot to add that element in the first place. Hellooooo....

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
dgorsman
in reply to: JPCAD000

Mac is not PC.  That means the building blocks for each operating system are not the same either.  Large programs aren't built from the ground up but built from existing libraries and tools, many of them provided by the OS developer to ensure a consistent appearance for the applications running on their system.

Don't make the classic mistake of confusing AutoCAD for Mac and AutoCAD for Windows.  The former isn't a copy of the latter (at least, in the UI department), but a new program built from the ground up.  Sometimes there aren't direct eqivalents in Mac for what was done in Windows (e.g. different functions, conflicts with OS operational paradigm) so they have to be redeveloped for the Mac.  There is no toggle to click or switch to flip to just make it work, no copy-paste on a couple of lines of text.  Its not a matter of not caring, or lack of technical ability, but one of resources: adding new features in an organized fashion takes time.  Sometimes they have to be bumped so that resources can be put towards making the program compatible with a new OS release or fixing a major issue (like Heartbleed).

For more perspective, I'd recommend jumping over to SourceForge and sign up to assist on some of the open source development projects.  That can be a real eye-opener to what goes on in developing software, most of which is hidden from the public.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Tags (1)
Message 3 of 5
JPCAD000
in reply to: dgorsman

Great explanation, thank you. 

Message 4 of 5
rgwhatley
in reply to: JPCAD000

That's the first time i've heard someone describe the ribbon interface as 'beautifully done.' Most people use the classic interface.

Message 5 of 5
JPCAD000
in reply to: rgwhatley

I have to say seeing AutoCAD on Yosemite now it seems a little smoother. Be interesting to see if the ribbon option is something that will be implemented farther on.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

”Boost