AutoCAD for Mac Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD for Mac Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD for Mac topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding a CTB File in Autocad for Mac?

43 REPLIES 43
SOLVED
Message 1 of 44
Anonymous
96943 Views, 43 Replies

Adding a CTB File in Autocad for Mac?

Any advice on how to add a ctb file for plotting? I was able to navigate to a finder window to try to add an old ctb file, but it seems that the mac version is calling them stb files, and isn't recognizing old ctbs. I was wondering how to setup a new stb file so that it will appear as an option when I setup a new page layout for plotting.

Thank you!

43 REPLIES 43
Message 2 of 44
maxim_k
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi,

In order to use CTB file for page setup and plotting your drawing should be configured as CTB-based drawing.

The same is true for STB-based DWG files. That's - in STB-based file you can not see .CTB plot style files in page setup dialog (and vice versa).

So in AutoCAD for MAC, when you create new drawing (File -> New) and want it to be CTB-based, you have to select as a template any of .DWT files, that doesn't contains words "Named Plot Styles" in it's name.

If you want to use STB file for plotting - choose one of the template files, that contains in its name the words "Named Plot Styles", for example - "ACAD -Named Plot Styles.dwt"

In AutoCAD for MAC there is no commands  CONVERTPSTYLES and  CONVERTCTB to convert named plot styles to color plot styles (or vice versa) "on the fly", like in Windows version.

But there is workaround - if you want to convert STB-based DWG to CTB-based:

1. Create new drawing using CTB-based template

2. Copy all objects from your STB-based file and paste it into this new file.

Maxim

Do you find the posts helpful? "LIKE" these posts!
Have your question been answered successfully? Click 'ACCEPT SOLUTION' button.

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Etiquette and Ground Rules of Autodesk Community
Message 3 of 44
Anonymous
in reply to: maxim_k

Ok, thank for the explanation of the differences between stb and ctb that i really didn't know.

But about the original question, how can i create / add a new ctb and/or stb to the ones included in autocad? If i have an old one from the windows version, can i use it? How?

Thank for the answers

Message 4 of 44
maxim_k

Hi,

Yes, you can use this file from AutoCAD for Win. Just put it to "~/Library/Application Support/Autodesk/roaming/AutoCAD 2011/R18.1/enu/Plotters/Plot Styles" (Library folder in your Home folder), after that it should appear in "Advanced" dialog box of "Page Setup" dialog (or "Print" dialog).

1390i0819686F41526827

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 5 of 44
Anonymous

Ok, and what about if i want to create a new one? I'm used to the color tab in the win version. Is it possible to do anything similar in the mac version?

Let say i wan't to create a new ctb with all the lines blak except a line red... is it possible? How?

Message 6 of 44
Anonymous

that was informative, so now i know that cad for mac does not allow modification through the plotstyles but how do i create my own so i can specify lineweights and colors to certain colors?

Message 7 of 44
Anonymous

It's very simple...............

..... YOU CAN'T!!!

Autocad for Mac just hasn't any plot style creator/editor.

You only have three chances: ask a friend of you with the win version to create/edit one for you, use your own win version to do it (so, since you are there, why don't use it for the whole job?) or use this free cad software for mac that allows you to edit ctb and stb.

http://macacad.com/2010/11/03/ctb-stb-creating-and-editing-on-mac/

I really hope that autodesk will add this feature in a patch (even if i've never seen a patch for autocad, just the annual version release). By now this would be the most unsold version of autocad of the history.

Message 8 of 44
Anonymous

I'm no AutoCad expert, just use it out of necessity, but I was able to add an existing CTB file with the styles I needed:

page setup/

(to the right of the +/- signs, a drop down menu) edit/

advanced/

name:reveal in finder/

while in the finder, find the ctb or stb you want, copy and paste into the "plot styles" folder that opened up from "name:reveal in finder" step;

cancel out of page setup, re-open page setup/edit/advanced/ in the name: drop down menu you should be able to select the ctb you just added.

Message 9 of 44
Anonymous

Thanks for this!

Message 10 of 44
Anonymous

Wow... Thank you so much, bjamin!   I have been searching (PLot table) ! 

Another question...which I will post in the appropriate subject thread-

I imported a scanned drawing, which was a TIFF file, but then saved as a jpg.  I tried to import the image in AutoCAD ARchitecture 2011 MAC, and when I did the program closed.  When I tried again, I did see the image, but was unable to resize, or even click on it.  Any help?  Then I tried to delete it from the working CAD file, and it would not delete?

Any help?   My computer is repeatedly having to be restarted ever since I started with AUTO cad for MAC.  Very disappointed but love the interface/system so much on the MAC... Hope the glitches can work out.

Message 11 of 44
maxim_k

@Anonymous wrote:

I imported a scanned drawing, which was a TIFF file, but then saved as a jpg.  I tried to import the image in AutoCAD ARchitecture 2011 MAC, and when I did the program closed.  When I tried again, I did see the image, but was unable to resize, or even click on it.  Any help?  Then I tried to delete it from the working CAD file, and it would not delete?

You have to play with FRAME and IMGFRAME system variables:

IMAGEFRAME

Type:Integer
Saved in:Drawing
Initial value:1

Controls whether image frames are displayed and plotted.

The FRAME system variable overrides the IMAGEFRAME setting. Use the IMAGEFRAME system variable after the FRAME system variable to reset the IMAGE frame settings.

NoteNormally, when image frames are not displayed, you cannot select images. However, the IMAGECLIP command temporarily turns image frames on.

The image frames are not visible and they are not plotted.

The image frames are displayed and plotted

2The image frames are displayed but not plotted

FRAME

Type:Integer
Saved in:Drawing
Initial value:3

Turns the display of frames on and off for all external references and raster images.

The FRAME setting overrides the individual XCLIPFRAME and IMAGEFRAME settings.

The frame is not visible and it is not plotted.

Displays the frame and allows it to be plotted

Displays the frame but keeps it from being plotted

The individual setting varies for all underlays in the current drawing (external references and raster images all have different frame settings).

Note This value is used internally by AutoCAD for Mac.

If you set it default values - you will be able to manipulate images on screen.

If you want to manage inserted images - use Reference Manager Palette (Command+7)

HTH

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 12 of 44
Anonymous

Hello,

Sorry for English, but I'll try to explain..

First, I think impossible to Autodesk had forgotten comands Plot style edit, at Autocad Mac..

But, we can resolve our problem by another form to change color, linetype, lineweigth. 

In the model, you use the normal colors. When you add a layer, you already eddit it (editting linetype, and lineweigth). 

In the Layout or Paperview mode, at the layers box, have a bar as the name is VP color, so this VP color, is the true color of your plot. If you change just the color of VP color, you will change just the color of plotting, but the model keep in the same colors you put first. So in the layout model, we see the true plotting. But you should use in the plot style table the option Acad.ctb..

I hope help,

Rebeca

Message 13 of 44
Anonymous

Sorry, this goes back to the original question about using CTB files on the Mac. I am using a trial version of AutoCAD for Mac 2012 and cross-platforming with Fusion Ware to AutoCAD LT 2008 for Windows. I am finding it frustrating to use the Properties Manager to set lineweights because it doesn't matter what I set them to they always print out to the color not the line thickness I need, even on a BW printer.

Anyway, I was following this thread and went looking for the CTB files from the LT in Windows. I could not find the files when I looked in the Application folder, so I did a search In the Windows file manager. The files show up in th search but it says they are in a folder that doesn't show up in the parent folder. 

So I right clicked on the CTB file in the search results and opened the properties box. It says the file should be here:

C:/Program Files/AutoCAD LR 2008/User Data Cache/DWF Virtual Pens. But User Data Cache doesn't show up in the AutoCAD LT folder list.

There is a Plot Styles folder but the only thing in it is a shortcut link called "Where are my Plot Style?" Indeed!

So my question is this, where are my plot styles and can I copy them into the Mac 2012 trial version? Also, we have set up company standard plot styles but these don't show up in the search list so where are these files?

Message 14 of 44
Anonymous

OK, just answered some of my questions. I opened the Windows File Manager went to Tools>Folder Options. In the dialog box click on the View tab, scroll throug the list to Hidden Files and Folders and click on the radio button for "Show Hidden files, folders, or drives."

But I still don't see the company CTB file. And if I do find it, can it be copied to the MAC side?

Message 15 of 44
Anonymous

Still working on this. I managed to copy my desired windows CTB file into the Mac version. But I still can't figure out how to access the CTB files at all! Is there a way to set the layer colors to print black instead of the colors? I set up a drawing using a template that did not contain "named plot styles" in the name. As I understand it if you do use a template with those words in the name it will be a STB file.

We use the first 7 basic colors - red, blue, yellow, green, cyan, white, etc. - set to different line weights and all to print to black. Then, if we want a colored line we choose it from "other colors." I have tried to set the layers in Mac to the same settings but each time I print it all the lines print to the layer colors, not in black!

Also, my Print dialog box does not offer an Advanced option, is this a trial version omission?

i am attaching images of the page set up manager and the Print dialog box, neither has an Advanced button.

Message 16 of 44
HawkAIA

I had the same problem in 2011 when using very large jpegs.  Opened the jpeg in photoshop and resized it smaller and it worked fine.  Have not tried jpeg underlays in 2012.

Regarding the post about the worst selling autocad version in history, I'm pretty sure that it was the Mac version of the old, old release 12.  I had to beg my dealer to sell it to me.  They came out with two patches, r12c1, and r12c2, fixing some bugs, and then it was history.

Message 17 of 44
HawkAIA

click on that tiny little bitty grey triangle in the tiny little bitty grey circle in the lower right hand corner of the dialog box.  🙂

Message 18 of 44
Anonymous
in reply to: HawkAIA

Finally found it. Why is such a vital printing function so hidden?Smiley Happy so anyway, I can finally use my preset plot settings. Whew!

Message 19 of 44
HawkAIA
in reply to: HawkAIA

correction.  release 12c3 was the end.  1994.  So, we have waited 17 years for Autocad to come back to the Mac !!!!  Now if we could just have Revit . . . .  (but I'm not complaining)  🙂

Message 20 of 44
Anonymous
in reply to: maxim_k

I have copied our pen settings .ctb file from my pc, autocad 2000, and placed it in the correct folder in my mac.  I was able to print twice, now everytime after that, Autocad crashes when I try to use the .ctb pen file from the old pc.

Any ideas on how I can fix this? Is there still no pen settings manager or a place to edit the pen settings on the mac version of autocad 2011?

Jerome

Fuse Architects

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report