AutoCAD for Mac Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD for Mac Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD for Mac topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2015 AutoCAD LT for Mac & useable graphic cards

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
mastect
880 Views, 6 Replies

2015 AutoCAD LT for Mac & useable graphic cards

Close to as written for the AutoCAD LT General Discussion forum.

Currently, I own a Mac Pro 4,1 with a GeForce GT 120 graphic card and 3GB of memory.  I am in the market for a new version of AutoCAD LT.  From Autodesk system requirements, this computer comes a little short of being on the recommended list for 2015 LT as well as most of the graphic cards for the older Mac Pro's on the Autodesk-Certified Hardware web page.  There is an issue with the OpenGL Legecy Profile.

My questions are as follows:

Does anyone use this computer configuration with 2015 LT and what is your experience?

What would be your recommended upgrade(s) for the graphic card or amount of memory (if any) to improve the performance of the computer?

How stable and useable is the software on a Mac compared to the Windows based LT run on a Mac with Boot Camp or Parallels or a Windows based PC?

Thank you for your assistance.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
maxim_k
in reply to: mastect

Welcome to the Autodesk Forums!

Hi,

With your current hardware configuration I don't reccomend you to use AutoCAD for Mac because:

- your graphics card is low-end

- amoun of RAM is not enough for using 64-bit software (and AutoCAD for Mac is 64-bit software) on Mac.

You need at least 4 Gb of RAM (8 Gb for optimal performance) to use AutoCAD for Mac, you also need to upgrade your graphics card (if it is still possible) to the most recient graphics cars which your Mac Pro can "accept":

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1524168

As about the performance in compare to the PC version of AutoCAD LT - in some areas with some specific files PC version of AutoCAD LT can be faster than Mac version, but in general the two versions are comparable.

You also need to take in account some limitations of AutoCAD LT for Mac vs AutoCAD LT for PC:

http://www.autodesk.com/products/autocad-lt/compare/compare-platforms

Maxim

Do you find the posts helpful? "LIKE" these posts!
Have your question been answered successfully? Click 'ACCEPT SOLUTION' button.

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Etiquette and Ground Rules of Autodesk Community
Message 3 of 7
mastect
in reply to: maxim_k

Hello Maxim,

Thank you for your answer.  From Autodesk system requirements, I knew my computer was underpowered but hoped I could use upgraded parts to enable me to install AutoCAD LT onto this machine.

I had planned to increase my memory to a minimum of 8GB and purchase another graphic card.  The graphic cards which I was exploring included: Radeon 5870, Quadro 4000 as well as several others.  The graphic cards have not been fully research.  From the available cards, I want to determine the best one which won't break the bank.  According to everymac, their recommendations are the NVidia Quadro FX 4800, NVidia Quadro 4000, EVGA GeForce GTX 680 and NVidia Quadro K5000; these cards should be compatible with this computer.  Whether the cards are compatible with AutoCAD LT is another story.  The information about NVidia PC graphic cards for use in the Mac Pro with OS 10.7 and higher; I was not aware of and will be doing more research in the matter.

Again, thank you for your assistance.

Mark

Message 4 of 7
maxim_k

Hi Mark,

8 Gb of RAM could be a good solution in your case if you will be able to find Mac Pro 4,1 compatible memory modules.
About graphics card - Radeon 5870 will work just fine for you, I mean it is enough for AutoCAD LT for Mac, but seems it is really difficult to find it on the market.
You can also continue to search for more modern compatible graphics card for your Mac Pro.

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 5 of 7
mastect

Hello Maxim,

There are several Mac stores with memory for the earlier Mac Pro, including my 2009 model.  For 8GB of memory, they offer as a single 8GB or (2)4GB chips.  I want to obtain the memory as a single 8GB module and in the future add another 8GB.

Also, I have found graphic cards available on a few online locations.  Some of the graphic cards which I mentioned in my prior reply as well as the Sapphire Radeon 7950.  From some research, the newer cards appear to have an antialiasing function which may reduce the card having an issue in OpenGL portion of Autodesk test.  Therefore, the big question will be; which of the graphic card is most compatible with the computer and minimizes conflicts with AutoCAD LT?  Apple shows their support only for the Radeon 5870; the other by their respective manufacturers.  In regards to a current, compatible graphic card, some cost almost 2,000 dollars for a little more money; you could buy a new Mac Pro and that is not in the budget.

Thank you for passing on your thoughts about how to updating my computer.  If you have any additional recommendations, please let me know.

Thanks

Mark

Message 6 of 7
maxim_k

Hi Mark,

Are you sure you will be able to use single 8 Gb module in your Mac Pro? Please double check this before you buy it.
And about graphics card - I thing everything "above" GeForce GT 120 will work just fine with AutoCAD LT for Mac.

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 7 of 7
mastect

The advise which I received, for best performance in a MacPro, memory should be installed in sets of 2s or 3s.  I have purchased a set of 3s.

I have been exploring the AutoCAD graphics card system requirements,web page and discovered on the Windows side a long list of certified/recommended cards in Quadro line of cards.  Has anyone used or currently using this line of cards in your Macs?  What has been your experience working AutoCAD or LT with these cards?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost