AutoCAD for Mac Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD for Mac Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD for Mac topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2014 for MAC, what features do you wish for?

34 REPLIES 34
Message 1 of 35
pendean
1513 Views, 34 Replies

2014 for MAC, what features do you wish for?

I'm totally guessing here, but I'm assuming the big annual Apple show early next month might also announce the 2014 MAC versions of AutoCAD, so I thought I would get things started by asking a simple question.

WHAT DO YOU WISH THE NEW VERSION TO HAVE THAT YOU NEED TO DO YOUR WORK?

34 REPLIES 34
Message 2 of 35
maxim_k
in reply to: pendean

Hi Dean,

Thanks for opening this poll.
It is really interesting to know wishes of users.

Maxim

Do you find the posts helpful? "LIKE" these posts!
Have your question been answered successfully? Click 'ACCEPT SOLUTION' button.

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Etiquette and Ground Rules of Autodesk Community
Message 3 of 35
michaeltierney

I would like to see camera / animation features.  Material import ability.

Message 4 of 35
rgwhatley

Usability in 3d, fix the bugs (ie screen tearing, pdf exports) bring it on par with windows. Then start releasing the verticals.

Message 5 of 35
AlexeyBaldin

Thx for that good and important question.
I've got a problem with export layouts in pdf format. On windows platform the function seems pretty easy: different sizes sheets exporting in one pdf file. On mac all sheets can be combined in one pdf file but with the only one sheet size (A4, for example). So i think you understand me;)
Also it could be great to see selection filters, multiline styles and ole objects. It's most important things for me.
Thank you
Message 6 of 35
peter

IGES import

ContentExplorer (Simpson Strong-Tie menu doesn't work without it).

I also need the various pallets (Tool Sets, Command Line, etc) to stick on my second monitor.  Every time I quit and reopen AutoCAD, they have all reverted to the first monitor (also when I close the last drawing and open a new one... to keep the pallets when I put them, I have to leave at least 1 drawing open at all times).

Message 7 of 35
maxim_k

Hi Peter,

Could you describe your dual monitor configuration ( resolution on primary and secondary monitor). Do you use MacBook + external monitor?

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 8 of 35
hugolv8

Be abble to Scale materials from the Material Browser for rendering, just as the Windows Autocad

Message 9 of 35
David_Stacey

DGN import
Express Tools
Smaller PDF output
Retain window/palette positions after closing
Message 10 of 35
AlexeyBaldin

All windows version functions with mac interface
Message 11 of 35
David_Stacey

And ability to annotate line objects with Cartesian bearings and distances straight out-of-the-box instead of having to use custom lisp to achieve the same
Message 12 of 35
JohnRennie

How about:

An ability to set up the interface to match the windows version

The ability to redefine all function keys and assign them to osnap shortcuts

Paste as block

xlist

Layer filters

Express tools

A reference manager

DWF abilities

Message 13 of 35
peter
in reply to: maxim_k

"Hi Peter,

Could you describe your dual monitor configuration ( resolution on primary and secondary monitor). Do you use MacBook + external monitor?

Maxim Architect
MARSS"

Sure:

I have a 27" iMac with a 27" Thunderbolt display plugged into it, so (2) 2560x1440.

Message 14 of 35
maxim_k
in reply to: peter

Hi Peter,

Could you post screenshots of typical display "configuration" (I mean display layout with all palettes arranged on two displays)?

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 15 of 35
peter
in reply to: maxim_k

Maximum image size is 333KB, so I had to link them here:

Main Screen

Second Screen

Message 16 of 35
maxim_k

Hi Peter,

I can suggest you to try the trick which seems work for me in order to force AutoCAD to remember position of palettes on dual monitor system.

From your screen-shots I see that you are running also Windows in Virtual Box virtual machine (it is on the second monitor - external as I suspect). Isn't it?

If yes, I advise you to try the trick without Windows running on background, then if you get success - you can try to run Windows as well.

So about the trick.

- Start AutoCAD and arrange palettes on second monitor as you wish, but when you put Palettes (Layer, Properties, Ref manager, etc.) to the second monitor (external in your case) you have to leave small gaps between Palettes itself and between palettes and screen area edges on the external monitor.

- In AutoCAD call OPTIONS command (Preferences from AutoCAD leftmost menu), go to Application tab and click on OK to quit dialog. This will save palettes and windows position to Profile.aws file, where this information stored.

- Quit AutoCAD, start it again - palettes should remain in-place.

There is another one condition - but it you need it only if you have two displays with different resolution - you need to align displays in Arrange tab of Display pane of System preferences with bottom edges.

If things will work out you can even try to lock Profile.aws file (it is in "~/Library/Application Support/Autodesk/roaming/AutoCAD 2013/R19.0/enu/Support" folder) in order to "lock" good display configuration so if you accidentally move some palettes during your work, next start AutoCAD will restore it according to the stored preferences.

I already had a discussion on Dual monitor problem here (although OP doesn't responded to my last post there):

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-for-Mac/Tool-Bars-and-Palette-Locations/td-p/4318714

You can read all, but the my solution first appeared in post #22

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 17 of 35
peter
in reply to: David_Stacey

Most of the pallets stayed where they were supposed to, so you are definitely on to something there.

Still, the points remain:

1. Many people using AutoCAD use more than 1 monitor

2. We like our pallets to stay where we put them.

3. We shouldn't have to go through all this just to get our pallets to stay where we put them.

Its something I would like to see fixed in AutoCAD Mac 2014.

Message 18 of 35
maxim_k

@Anonymous wrote:

2. We like our pallets to stay where we put them.

3. We shouldn't have to go through all this just to get our pallets to stay where we put them.

Its something I would like to see fixed in AutoCAD Mac 2014.

Agree.

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 19 of 35
kevin.dong

While I realize that some of these could be done by loading lsp routines, I would still like them to be apart of 2014

• ExpressTools (eg.txt2mtxt)
  • Quick Select
  • Burst
  • DataLinks
  • eTransmit
  • Ability to export and import plot style tables (easier transfer to another computer)
  • Ability to apply printer / plot style tables / papersize to multiple layouts during layout selection in the quickview window
  • Ability to export and import content library sets (easier transfer to another computer, without having to recreate the library set name)
  • selection cycling window

That's all I got for now.  I'll add more later, if I come up with anything else.

Message 20 of 35
Schrocks

Dynamic Block editing would make so my workplace could actually consider using this product.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost