AutoCAD Express Tools

AutoCAD Express Tools

Contributor
Dropkickbob
Message 1 of 2 (713 Views)
Accepted Solution

can you make a field to show only part of the filename?

713 Views, 1 Replies
07-15-2013 01:32 PM

Basically we set up our file names with a # and the title of the drawing. I want to create a field that only shows the number thats in the file name.

Example: 

if the filename is "10101template.dwg", i  only want the 10101 to show up in my field.

is there a diesel expression or something along those lines that would chose only the first 5 characters in the file name? (our job numbers are 5 #'s long and are the beginning portion of the filename).

if not, is there an expression that would show all numbers in the file name?

I realize there are a few simliar posts, but I haven't found exactly what i am trying to do, but if i do find a solution elsewhere, i will post it here. 

Thank you,

doubt anyone will read this, since i solved my own problem very shortly, but if you're curious, the solution is the diesel expression:

$(substr,$(getvar,dwgname),1, 5)

The 1 means the first character of the field.

Then 5 obviously means the 5th character. :smileyhappy:

Contributor
Dropkickbob
Message 2 of 2 (711 Views)

Re: can you make a field to show only part of the filename?

07-15-2013 01:40 PM in reply to: Dropkickbob

doubt anyone will read this, since i solved my own problem very shortly, but if you're curious, the solution is the diesel expression:

$(substr,$(getvar,dwgname),1, 5)

The 1 means the first character of the field.

Then 5 obviously means the 5th character. :smileyhappy:

Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Announcements
Are You Going To Be @ AU 2014? Feel free to drop by our AU topic post and share your plans, plug a class that you're teaching, or simply check out who else from the community might be in attendance. Ohh and don't forgot to stop by the Autodesk Help | Learn | Collaborate booths in the Exhibit Hall and meet our community team if you get a chance!