cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Update ACADE to work with dynamic blocks

Update ACADE to work with dynamic blocks

I suppose the problem is that ACADE hasn't kept up with the developments of the base product very well. When most of it was written dynamic blocks didn't exist.

However, they could be very handy if actually using them didn't break ACADE due to the block's "name" changing to an arbitrary value.  The Stretch PLC command works for some things, but I have a use for visibility states in several symbols.

14 Comments
ccad2509
Advisor

I’m now of the opinion that Autodesk work on a 10 year plan for innovation basically any new innovation has already existed somewhere else for at least 10 years

Which brings me to dynamic blocks which I think were first released in the Autocad 2006 so going on my theory then dynamic blocks might come in next year

WoHo
Alumni

Dynamic blocks should work - as far as I remember since AutoCAD Electrical 2012. Use them by myself. WH

drathak
Collaborator

Ok, I admit I hadn't tried it in a while.  Before the block name changed whenever you activated any of the controls (stretch for example) such that it broke some ACADE functionality.  I need to explore that again.

Could you shoot me a symbol to test it with?

WoHo
Alumni

A simple symbol with some dynamic block authoring elements: https://autodesk.box.com/s/jqbhvi6lhhb9v8nsawoz and one more https://autodesk.box.com/s/yny0yd0yrgr60vay6xth

drathak
Collaborator

Nice!  I need to rethink some things.

Now a bigger question.  Have you figured out a way to copy authoring elements from one block to another?

WoHo
Alumni

I don't believe that you can copy authoring elements from one block to another; but I am not the dynamic block expert. Can I point you to the 'dynamic blocks' forum?

drathak
Collaborator

Thanks.  I'll check that out.  All I've found says you can't do it.  Which kinda sucks if you need a complex visibility setup that could be used for several symbols.

dgorsman
Consultant

In that case, I'd suggest starting with a "base block definition" which contains the common elements, including the dynamic ones.  From there you can copy the DWG and add any unique qualities.  Kind of like inheritance in OOP.

drathak
Collaborator

That will work, yes.  But it's about twice the amount of work that being able to copy the authoring elements would be for existing blocks.

Steps:

1. Rename old blocks or copy to another location.  We'll need to access these later.

2. Copy block with desired authoring elemets to the name of an existing block. (Overwriting or replacing the old block.)

3. Remove graphics and attributes from this new version of the old block.

4. Open old version of the block and copy graphics and attributes.

5. Paste into new version and make sure everything is where it needs to be.  (Need 0,0,0 matchup)

6. Save

If you could copy the elements:

1. Open new block once and copy elements.

2. Open existing block.

3. Paste elements where needed.

4. Save.

Ok, not quite twice as long.

dgorsman
Consultant

I think I'm missing something in those extra steps.

1. Copy base DWG file to new location, and rename appropriately

2. Open new DWG with Block Editor

3. Add new entities and parameters specific to this block; remove any that are unnecessary

4. Save and close

drathak
Collaborator

Your step 3 is my steps 3, 4 & 5.  Same thing, I just went into detail of where to get those "new entities" from the existing blocks.

t_chaws
Alumni
Status changed to: Under Review

Thanks for your valuable feedback. We shall add this item to our research bucket and see what can be done quickly.
Keep posting new ideas.

Thanks and Regards,
AutoCAD Electrical Product Team.

Please add this support. Even if it's as simple as looking at the effective block name instead of the anonymous block name for the block swap. Prior to the block swap just record in a temp variable the vis state (in my case it would be vis states) then reapply that vis state once the block was swapped. I know there's tons more variables and options for dynamic blocks, but this would be a great starting point for dynamic block swaps. I think the simple fact that it's swapping based on the anonymous name is driving most people insane with dynamic block swaps.

Status changed to: Future Consideration

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost