cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Simple Setup and Configuration

Simple Setup and Configuration

SQL network based parts database including parametric PLC settings, terminal settings, DIN rail settings etc. A local database (for offline use) which is synced when connected to the network. Network database takes priority, local database for offline.

Single project specific settings file. Or better still, put the project files in the SQL database with local offline copy so that when a project is opened, there is one place, and one place only, to look for project specific settings and not multiple folders residing on the server nested within folder after folder looking at files with the same name in different locations differentiated by the priority in the Support Path Search Path tree etc....
The current method of 'hunt the file' really makes setup difficult and time consuming ensuring all users have the same priority on files, they are looking at the same folders and the server files are priority over local hard disk copies etc....

An central admin console to push out settings / configuration to all users so that everyone is working from the same settings.

5 Comments
ccad2509
Advisor

Totally agree go down the SQL route

My personal belief is they would have gone down this route years ago if they could

I’m of the firm option that they can’t do this for technical reasons

rhesusminus
Mentor

Keep in mind that Autodesk also have other software. Like Vault.

AcadE's strength is that it is "only" software for creating schematics. It's not a PDM or PLM system, neither should it try to be.

But of course, I guess almost everything in today's access databases "easily" could be moved over to SQL.

dbrblg
Collaborator

I agree that ACADE should not be used as a PDM/PLM system and I would never see the need to try and try to make it so.  We are in the process of implementing Vault Pro and I am well aware of its capabilities.

What I would like to see from ACADE is an improvement on its overly complicated setup which relies on settings stored in files in numerous locations (both local and networked in some cases) nested in folders and priorities and can be a different setup for different people.  It can actually be a nightmare to set everyone up the same without a way to pushout settings to users (or perhaps preventing users from changing defaults)

Basically there are too many complicated settings which can be changed too easily and the system broken, let alone setting it up in the first place.

ccad2509
Advisor

dbrblg

one of the many problems is the various options scattered around the system its very inconsistent

Smiley Winkyes trond you know its coming in other ecad systems generally they have a settings menu with all your options group in logical sub menus

and here's the pretty pictures to prove it

now wouldn't that be nice to have in acade !!!!!!

SETTINGS.png

SETTINGS2.png

t_chaws
Alumni
Status changed to: Future Consideration

Thank you for your suggestion. 

We will look into your idea for our future releases.

Best Regards, 

AutoCAD Electrical team

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost