Announcements
Due to scheduled maintenance, the Autodesk Community will be inaccessible from 10:00PM PDT on Oct 16th for approximately 1 hour. We appreciate your patience during this time.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Parent/Child Terminals

Parent/Child Terminals

The ability to show the same terminal on more than one dwg within a project would be a large benifit.

For example, I design a large control board made up of many different panels. Each panel has it's own terminals and components. Not a problem with the terminals and wiring within the panel.

However, when doing a panel to panel connection diagram (or bus wiring diagram as us electricians call it) the panel terminals must be shown again within the project.

If only there was a way to do a parent/child connection between terminals shown in different dwgs for situations like this.

It would be able to change both terminals number or type in the one go when changes are made.

Cross referencing could be done so that wiring could be followed from panel 'A' through the bus wiring to panel 'B' to confirm wiring is going to the correct locations.

I'm sure that there are many other benifits as well.

Regards Brad

5 Comments
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

The ability to show the same terminal on more than one dwg within a project would be a large benifit.

For example, I design a large control board made up of many different panels. Each panel has it's own terminals and components. Not a problem with the terminals and wiring within the panel.

However, when doing a panel to panel connection diagram (or bus wiring diagram as us electricians call it) the panel terminals must be shown again within the project.

Can you post an example of this?  I've seen it mentioned by you and some others before and I'm not sure I understand.  Although I do have a similar situation.  (I think.)

On our old style switchboard panels we had bus terminal blocks that were mounted on the risers between two panels.  When we were drawing these by hand (or non ACADE CAD) they were shown on two panel wiring diagrams.  For example, terminal block X, would show up on the right on panel 1 and on the left on panel 2.  But in reality, it was one terminal block with wires running between all the "bus terminals" and others peeling off for one panel or another.  (Will post example tomorrow when I am at work.)

I have no idea how to do this in ACADE.  It is on my list to work out soon.

Icemanau
Mentor

Here are two screen shots showing how I deal with bus wiring....

Trip Outputs.JPG

The top row is panel 9 (Main HV Bus Section CB panel) while the bottom row is panel 9A (Bus Section Riser Panel).

Bus Wiring.JPG

The tops section of the bus wiring is the control power distribution which is not shown in the first screen shot.

the two triangular sections are the trip wiring from the bus section (panel 9 and 9A) and are shown in the first screen shot.

This bus wiring has to do with frame earth fault, Sensitive earth fault and bus bar protection which are all controlled through the bus section panel.

Regards Brad

t_chaws
Alumni
Status changed to: Future Consideration

Hi, 

Thank you for your idea!

We have added your suggestion to our research bucket; we will be looking into it for our future releases! Thank you again!

Keep posting new ideas!

Best Regards, 
AutoCAD Electrical Team 

Anonymous
Not applicable

So currently it is not possible to make a Parent Terminal and a Child Terminal?

I have a 3 Level terminal with 3 wire connections per side and per terminal. Call it TB-1 Term 1

On Drawing A I need to wire on TB-1 Term 1 one wire per level on side side. 

On Drawing B I need to wire on TB-1 Term 1 two wires per level on each side.

When building my panel I want one Terminal to be inserted on TB-1. Currently it will ad 2 terminals with same number.

imagine having similar situation with 200 terminals. 

Not having this options negates my ability to use the Terminal Footprint Editor.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi everyone, is there still no solution for this?

Thanks in advance.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report