cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Beginner Mode for New Users

Beginner Mode for New Users

Consider adding a "Novice" or "Beginner" Mode that allows only commands that are completely compatible with AutoCAD Electrical.  I would suggest no access to the Home menu tab, paperspace, plain AutoCAD Move, etc., so new users are forced to use only "safe" commands and a safe drawing environment.  You would need to add a "Move Footprint" command to the Panel menu of course.  I currently add the AutoCAD Move command and the Draw Order commands to my Panel menu using CUI, but AutoCAD Move should not be allowed on a schematic drawing.  

I would even recommend forcing Snap to be engaged, and disabling O-snaps while on a schematic drawing.  As a beginner, if you stick with the commands available on the Project, Schematic, Panel, Reports, and Import/Export (From and To Spreadsheet only) tabs, you will be safe.  If a beginner encounters problems using these commands, it may be a workflow issue, or sometimes a bug.  But at least they will know that they didn't "break" their drawing by using vanilla AutoCAD commands when they shouldn't have done so.  After the user has gained some experience and insight into how the software works, they will then know when and how to use some of the vanilla AutoCAD commands to their advantage.  Make available a global "toggle" to turn off Beginner Mode, when the user feels comfortable to do so.

5 Comments

Perhaps add an "AcadE Novice" workspace, as an option.  During installation, offer the option to select Novice Mode, and if the answer is Yes, automatically set the Workspace to AcadE Novice.  Later, when the customer feels comfortable to do so, they switch to the standard AcadE and 2D Drafting and Annotation workspace.

ccad2509
Advisor

This is where we fundamentally disagree on how ACADE should work

this should be the method on how ACADE should work with the core fundamental autocad effectively locked out

even better stripping out the commands that will never be used in ACADE

What it breeds is lazy thinking by Autodesk "with a you can do it in plain Autocad with a bit of frigging why bother adding this as a function)

my view is if you have to fall back to the plain Autocad functionality to do something in ACADE then Autodesk has failed as a software vendor !

if my memory serves me correctly then ACADE should work like the old Promis E 5.2 Standalone which had an Stripped down Autocad as the drawing engine which was difficult to access the core Autocad commands

t_chaws
Alumni
Status changed to: Future Consideration

Thanks for your valuable feedback. We shall add this item to our research bucket and see what can be done quickly.
Keep posting new ideas.

Thanks and Regards,
AutoCAD Electrical Product Team.

Customers switching from vanilla AutoCAD want to be able to go back and edit legacy drawings with vanilla commands, as the occasional need arises, so they like having the fully functional AutoCAD engine available when needed. Sure, they could have a separate icon that opens AutoCAD Electrical without the Electrical menus, but once they are past the novice stage allow them to reenable the vanilla command environment, so they can do all from one interface.  Novice mode would only be used for a limited time, while customers become familiar with the proper use of the Electrical commands and utilities.  

electricBT
Advocate
This is a must for places converting from regular autocad to autocad electrical. People get themselves into all kinds of trouble doing things the old way and not using the tools properly. Even though the help system is pretty fantastic. It would ensure a higher consistency of work that adheres to autocad electrical drawings and reduce rework on the drawings.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost