AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

XREF Purge after moving Child contacts or Coil location?

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
MTSII
759 Views, 8 Replies

XREF Purge after moving Child contacts or Coil location?

When inserting child contacts at the required line reference ie. say 5-62 and 5-63. If these contact s are then moved to 5-78 and 5-79 and a cross update is performed on the coil, the new xref's show as 5-78, 5-79 but also shows ??-62, ??-63. Is it not possible to move the contacts to a new location or should they be deleted and re-applied? Am I missing something in the way xref updates? or just using the child contacts wrong? Is there a way to purge the old infomation?

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
dougmcalexander
in reply to: MTSII

Did you run the crossreference update project-wide?

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Phone and Web-based Support Plans Available

Phone: (770) 841-8009

www.linkedin.com/in/doug-mcalexander-1a77623

Please Accept as Solution if I helped you. Likes are also much appreciated.
Message 3 of 9
MTSII
in reply to: dougmcalexander

Wow, that made things worse. Many Xref have duplicate non-existent references. See screenshots.

Screenshot 9 after Project wide xref.

Screenshot 10 & 11 after Component Cross reference - Active Drawing (pick)

Message 4 of 9
dougmcalexander

Have you tried AEREBUILDDB?  As a last resort delete the project scratch database in the Support/User folder. 

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Message 5 of 9
MTSII

This is really getting messed up now. Ran AEREBUILDDB, populated many previously good xref's with phantom ??- locations. Renamed "project".mdb to .old, re-opened project, ran AEREBUILDDB, no different. Many of the xref's that were correct are now showing additional bogus ??- tags. This is getting worse. Even the Parent/Child relationship cannot find each other when running individual xref update at both the coil and the contact.

When you rename the .mdb file how do you get the program to create a new one from scratch? Running AEREBUILDDB after rename did not work. Is this the correct command?

Message 6 of 9
dougmcalexander

You don't need to rebuild the database.. Just delete it. AutoCAD Electrical rebuilds it when you activate the project. You need to close the program in order to delete the database. If you post your affected drawings I will have a look as soon as I can. Im teaching thus week but can look later in the hotel. You must have something else wrong if rebuilding the database doesn't correct it.

Doug McAlexander

Message 7 of 9
MTSII

Thanks Doug. I think I got it now. Deleted .mdb, activated another project, re-activated by original. It created new .mdb and I ran xref update "project". All now appear to fall in line and no more ??-

Question. Is it safe to just move Parent/Child symbols when altering a drawing or should I delete and re-enter in new location? What is the correct method?

btw. kudos for the feedback.

Message 8 of 9
dougmcalexander

You can move them, but use AutoCAD Electrical commands, not plain AutoCAD.

Doug McAlexander

Message 9 of 9
dougmcalexander

AutoCAD Electrical will automatically create/update the project scratch database for the project that was active when you closed it down, so there is no need to activate a different project and reactivate the one in question.  There is a file in the Support/User folder named lastproj.fil.  It records the active project at the time you shut down AutoCAD Electrical.  You do not need to edit this file.  I am just making you aware of how the software retains such information.

Doug McAlexander

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost