AutoCAD Electrical General Discussion

AutoCAD Electrical General Discussion

*Expert Elite*
rhesusminus
Message 11 of 17 (578 Views)

Re: Wiring Diagrams

03-12-2012 05:43 AM in reply to: jasongander

You can make all components appear multiple times in an AutoCAD Electrical project. You'll just have to make sure you specify different "types" of component.

Just like when you have a one-line symbol, a schematic symbol, a pneumatic symbol and a panel symbol, they can all share the same tag, and also update the others if one of them is edited.

You can specify you own "types" of symbol for use in one of your drawing type, by adding the WDTYPE-attribute to your custom symbols.

It'll be a lot of work, but i will work.

The other problem you have, is to sync the "interconnections" in all these different drawings, where the connections are shown graphically, with a wire. There is no automatic way to do this in AcadE. So.. when moving a wire from one terminal to another, you'll have to update the other drawings manually.

Or.... do some serious programming, that does it for you :smileyhappy:

THL

Trond Hasse Lie
ECAD Consultant
CtrlAltEl

Please select "Accept As Solution" if this post answers your question. Kudos don't hurt either. ;-)
*Expert Elite*
dougmcalexander
Message 12 of 17 (569 Views)

03-12-2012 09:38 AM in reply to: jasongander

Rhesusminus has advised you well.  Newer versions of AcadE support the WDTYPE attribute. It was added in support of single-line diagrams and the pneumatic/hydraulic/P&ID functionality.  This allows us to see the same component in multiple engineering disciplines.

With proper training and implementation support you should be able to produce complete reports with full automation.  I have configured the Automatic Reports utility so all I do is make a trip to refill my coffee, and when I return, my BOM, wire list, wire labels, etc. are ready.  Graphical terminal strips or tabular terminal tables can be created, including jumpers and directional information for internal or external wire connections.  This is covered in my 5-day workflow-based course.  A special type of wiring diagram style footprint can be created that shows the wiring information for each connection on a component.  This can include wire number, wire type, and even the component on the other end of the wire.  I have a customer who wires from their panel layout/wiring diagram because it is set up to show wire number-wiretype-other component. 

Most users overlook the option to alternate between plain footprints and wiring diagram style footprints because it is not usually covered in training,.  I cover it in my advanced training course.  You have to create these special footprints yourself and then add tables to the Footprint Lookup database.  The added tables must be named as VendorName_WD (i.e. AB_WD, SQD_WD, SIEMENS_WD, etc.)  Create entries in these tables for the part number and the path to the alternate wiring diagram style footprint blocks.  When you are inserting from the schematic list, click the arrow at the bottom and choose to Use Wiring Diagram Tables.  This instructs AcadE to use the footprint listed in the tables that end in _WD.

Doug McAlexander
Independent Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical, ecscad, and promis-e implementation

Web site: www.ECADConsultant.com
Phone: (770) 841-8009

Please Accept as Solution if I helped you. Kudos are also much appreciated.
jasongander
Message 13 of 17 (565 Views)

03-12-2012 09:43 AM in reply to: dougmcalexander

Thank you Doug & Rhesusminus

So to sumerize, just so I understand correctly, I would add the WDTYPE attribute to the block I make for my wiring diagrams which would then update based on the schematics?  I would still have to update the point to point wiring manually though? And lastly this would work for the PLC blocks as well?

Thank you,

Jason

*Expert Elite*
rhesusminus
Message 14 of 17 (550 Views)

03-13-2012 03:01 AM in reply to: jasongander

Hi Jason.

I took the time to create a small project that has a sheet with 3 versions of the same information (See attachment). I've also used the report generator to insert three Cable from/to tables next to the circuit.

If you edit the motor in one place, AcadE asks if you want to update the motor in the other locations. Just explode/edit the blocks to see what I did with the WDTYPE attribute.

When you add your own types they appear in the report generator as well. Look for TEDI (Termination Diagram) in the cathegory drop down list.

Feel free to ask more questions.

Trond Hasse Lie
ECAD Consultant
CtrlAltEl

Please select "Accept As Solution" if this post answers your question. Kudos don't hurt either. ;-)
*Expert Elite*
dougmcalexander
Message 15 of 17 (538 Views)

03-13-2012 08:47 AM in reply to: rhesusminus

Nicely done Mr. Rhesusminus!

Doug McAlexander
Independent Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical, ecscad, and promis-e implementation

Web site: www.ECADConsultant.com
Phone: (770) 841-8009

Please Accept as Solution if I helped you. Kudos are also much appreciated.
christianmegoroman
Message 16 of 17 (475 Views)

04-03-2012 12:00 PM in reply to: jasongander

Hello everybody, I am an electronic enginer and I use to check, review draws with PLC and different kind of controller. I have a team of technical drawing who draw all the layout, schematic, etc I download yours plans and I am very insterested of sharing information with you. I know my team draw the plans using just simple Autocad (no Autocad Electrical) but I would like to learn a little bit in order to teach them or at least give them some tips.

Hope we can interchange ".dwg" files. I have many about PLC (specially Allen Bradley) but they are drawed in simple autocad. Important note: when I go to AB website they mentioned two way to draw plans (using Autocad Electrical and using ePlant).

I will be wainting for your replys.

Best regards.

PD: my email is christianmegoroman@gmail.com

christianmegoroman
Message 17 of 17 (474 Views)

04-03-2012 12:11 PM in reply to: jasongander

Hello everybody, I am an electronic enginer and I use to check, review draws with PLC and different kind of controller. I have a team of technical drawing who draw all the layout, schematic, etc I download yours plans and I am very insterested of sharing information with you. I know my team draw the plans using just simple Autocad (no Autocad Electrical) but I would like to learn a little bit in order to teach them or at least give them some tips.

Hope we can interchange ".dwg" files. I have many about PLC (specially Allen Bradley) but they are drawed in simple autocad. Important note: when I go to AB website they mentioned two way to draw plans (using Autocad Electrical and using ePlant).

I will be wainting for your replys.

Best regards.

PD: my email is christianmegoroman@gmail.com

Announcements
Manufacturing Community
The Manufacturing Community provides additional access to tips, tutorials, blogs and networking with peers.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

New AutoCAD Electrical Category!

The AutoCAD Electrical forum has moved into it's very own category page, and can no longer be found within the Additional Product Forums.