AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wire numbers

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
david_lota
1334 Views, 8 Replies

Wire numbers

two wires are connected to a same pin on a compoment. It gets the same wire number.

is there some way to give them two difrent wire numbers? 

Tags (1)
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Go to Project Properties>Wire Numbers and check "On Per Wire Basis".  (see attached image)

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Phone and Web-based Support Plans Available

Phone: (770) 841-8009

www.linkedin.com/in/doug-mcalexander-1a77623

Please Accept as Solution if I helped you. Likes are also much appreciated.
Message 3 of 9

Hey doug,

In response to your below reply, how can use this "per wire basis" on just one device and not the entire project? I think this tool works for the entire project.

Thanks 

Message 4 of 9

The wire numbering on per-wire-basis option is set for the entire project, so each wire is identified with a number, rather than identifying each node or wire network with the same number.  This option actually produces "real" wire numbers.  Not selecting this option allows multiple wires that are part of the same node to share the same wire number, thus your wire from/to list will probably contain duplicates of the same wire number.  With wire numbering on a per-wire-basis each wire is assigned a unique number so the wire from/to list will not contain duplicates.

Again, this is a project level setting since it would be confusing to mix both types of wire numbering throughout the pages of the same project.

I attached a sample screen capture from one of my projects that shows wire numbering on a per-wire-basis.  There is no option to do this to only one symbol.

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Message 5 of 9

I have some questions about wire numbers..

-Please refer to the attachment and let me know why the wire is coming like this is it coming like that?

-Also, wire number options under wire number tab, I don't check nay box; do you think I will come across a problem?

-Lastly, if I create a layer call NOWIRE and select some wires on it. When I dump some wire numbers will it or not put wires number on the wire?

I am stuck and will aprreciate some guidance.

Thanks for yourtime.

Message 6 of 9

The arrow is a destination but you have it inserted in the orientation of a source.  That is why 3111 appears above the arrow.  This could happen if you copied this arrow rather than inserting with the proper workflow using the Electrical menu.

If you create a wire type called NOWIRE, it will be treated as a current carrying conductor. You can however set it for no wire numbering.  

Note: If a wire is set for no wire numbering but it is connected to a component that passes the wire number across, such as terminal blocks and connectors,the wire will still be assigned a number.   This is not a bug.  Select a terminal block or connector that forces a wire number change in this case.

Doug McAlexander

Message 7 of 9
Icemanau
in reply to: Justin2012

For just one wire in a project, draw the two wires but don't connect the one with a seperate number.

Number the wires as normal and then use plain autocad commands to connect the wire. In other words, change to the correct wire layer and draw a line connect the second wire to the pin or exted the existing line using the grips.

I find that this is a common feature when using VT's with the neutral of the secondary earthed so I'm doing this a lot.

Regards Brad

Icemanau (NNTP handle: Brad Coleman
AutoCAD Electrical User and IT Hardware Support

Message 8 of 9
Justin2012
in reply to: Icemanau

Thanks for the response but I asked if I will face any problem if I do not select any wire option?

Brad, I when use your method and run retag/update the wire number stays the same. Please let me know.

Thanks.

Message 9 of 9
Icemanau
in reply to: Justin2012

I don't think you would have any problems with not selecting any options. I'm still stuck on the 2008 release due to the company I work for, so I can't help to much with the hard problems in relation to the latest releases.

As for my original reply, it was in regards to your initial query. When I insert a wire number manually, it usually gets inserted as fixed. This means it won't be changed when numbers are automatically updated. As I assign both numbers before attaching the second wire to the same terminal as the first, this means they are both fixed. See the attached screenshot for further clarification.

To force a change of the fixed wire numbers involves selecting a check box to do this when running the automatic number/retag. By default this is left unchecked in ACADE 2008.

Doing things this way will result in an error being shown when doing an electrical audit but as far as I'm aware, this is about the only way to have two wires with different number on one terminal when the rest of the dwg settings have all the wire numbers matching when they are in one network.

Regards Brad

Icemanau (NNTP handle: Brad Coleman
AutoCAD Electrical User and IT Hardware Support

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost