AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wire numbering - from/to

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
vacu82
302 Views, 4 Replies

Wire numbering - from/to

Hello,

I have a problem with wire numbering format. Usually I use a format like this: %L.%N (location.number). The problem is that I was asked for somthing like from/to wire numbering format, I'll give an example: I have a wire going from terminal 1 in the device -QF1 to terminal 5 in the device -TR. In this case wire should have a number: "-QF1:1/-TR:5". The question is - is it possible to do it using autonumbering? If so - which variables I should use and what settings (note that every wire would need to have a separate number...)? I've tried to find something in the web but didn't succeed, I did something like this in the past manually and it took me much time to do it, this time project is much bigger so it would be great if this is possible to be done automatically.

Regards,

Slawek

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
sonny3g
in reply to: vacu82

Look in help for "Use replaceable parameters" for a list of all replaceable parameters.  Not all of these are available for use in wire numbering, but you might find something useful anyway.

Scott G. Sawdy
scott.sawdy@bluecoyotecad.com
Message 3 of 5
vacu82
in reply to: sonny3g

Thanks! It looks like there's no way to do it (no parameter like this).

But is it at least possible to assign a separate number to each wire?
Message 4 of 5
dougmcalexander
in reply to: vacu82

Wire numbering is just that; a numerical value assigned to a wire to distinguish it from others. It is especially helpful for troubleshooting. Wire numbering is independent of connection routing. That is the purpose of the wire from/to list. Normally the wire number is the same for an entire node (a.k.a. network), so if you are troubleshooting you expect the same potential on all wires in the node.

AutoCAD Electrical also includes a check box for each project, under Project Properties, that allows you to set wire numbering to per-wire-basis. This mode assigns each and every wire it's own unique number. This is true wire numbering, not just node numbering. But node numbering is the most popular method of wire numbering, due to its advantages related to troubleshooting.

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Phone and Web-based Support Plans Available

Phone: (770) 841-8009

www.linkedin.com/in/doug-mcalexander-1a77623

Please Accept as Solution if I helped you. Likes are also much appreciated.
Message 5 of 5
vacu82
in reply to: dougmcalexander

Thanks Doug!

I also used node numbering before, just when you have - let say - 100 of the units with the same diagram you would prefer to use machine to cut all wires, put the numbers on and use the during assembling. But in this case you need to have different number for each wire just to be sure which wire you should use. This is the case I have now and this is the reason why I want to change the way of numbering wires (this is also customer's requirement sometimes). According to what you wrote - it's possible, I'll do some tests, thank you very much!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost