AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wire number placement options?

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
Tim_L
445 Views, 10 Replies

Wire number placement options?

Hi there,

Ran a search for this topic but did not see any matches. Is there a setting to have wire numbers automatically positioned at both ends of the wire?

With the settings I have, a single number is placed in the middle of the wire. For some circuits I would like to have the wire numbers display differently, say at the start and again at the end of the wire. I do this manually now by moving the default wire number then adding extra wire numbers, an auto function would be much nicer.

And what is the “Offset” doing? I read the description but it does not seem to act like it is described. While trying to find an answer to the question above I changed the setting to .5 and then to 5 and in both cases a single number gets inserted in the middle of the wire???

Any help or advice will be appreciated,

Thank you
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
Fdna49
in reply to: Tim_L

Because the wire number is a block, I think you have to purge the drawing to get it to change. I don't have timer to check it now but I will try later.

Chad
Message 3 of 11
poushag

I am having the same problem using AutoCAD Electrical 2008 SP1: Any number entered under "offset" does nothing. In fact, the wire number ends up at the left end of the wire instead of the center even when I pick 'center'. Perhaps you could recreate this bug the way I did it:
I used the spreadsheet-to-PLC-I/O utility to insert some rungs with pushbuttons in them. On the wire before the pushbutton, the wire number is centered, but on the wire after the pushbutton, the wire number seems bound to the left end of the wire. The pushbutton is in the 5th device slot in the spreadsheet if that makes any difference.

Autodesk, I also have some feedback to share about the user interface for wire number placement: I simply want to be able to have the wire number placed at the right hand end of the wire. Being required to specify an offset seems like a less than optimal situation. Can't you guys just give a set of choices like "left, center, or right"? or "top, middle, bottom" (for when vertical rungs are being used)?
Message 4 of 11
Peter_KSBE

If you read the help file you can read this

"Offset: Specifies to insert the wire number tags the specified offset distance.
Offset Distance: Specifies a fixed, user-defined offset distance from the LEFT or TOP of the first wire segment found on the wire network."

Look at the attached picture:
On wire A the offset was 10, on B it was 30 and on C it was 70.
So all values above the center (here 40) will be automatically centered.

Do also not forget that if you have existing drawings and you adjust the PROJECT properties the values on the DRAWING properties remain the same.
You need to change the DRAWING properties to see the offset working. The attached picture is the proof it works.

Working on AE2008 SP1

Peter
Message 5 of 11
poushag

Peter,
Your reply is of no use here because you do not appear to be taking the steps necessary to recreate the problem. I see no PLC card in your drawing therefore you are not helping.

Your suggestion about drawing properties vs project properties is not the issue here. It might have had some merit if the drawing number was not showing up in the wrong place no matter what setting is chosen.

And your implication that I should merely read the help files is ridiculous and insulting. Peter, no further responses from you will be necessary.

Autodesk, I have described something here that is obviously a bug. I stated the exact circumstances when it occurs. Please step in here and see if this can be addressed.

Thanks.
Message 6 of 11
Tim_L

Hi there,

I see there has been some activity on this question so I thought I would pass along what I found. With my setup, I found (by trial and error, mostly error) that if the units for offset are to large the wire number reverts to the default position, in my case that is center.

The examples I had seen use offset numbers >10. There was a lot of wasted time trying to follow those examples. The numbers that work for my setup are <5. Only found that by accident. See attached bmp

I hope this will help someone, perhaps one of the Autodesk folk can pass along a little more definitive explanation as to what is going on here.

Cheers
Message 7 of 11
sgsawdy

Peter is only trying to be helpful, not insulting. I on the other hand don't care for the tone of your response and must say that it is the kind of response that is going to inhibit others from wanting to help you too. I certainly will hesitate to respond to your calls for help.

Scott
Message 8 of 11
Peter_KSBE

aaaauuuuchh,

poushag,

First of all i did not responded on your post but that of Tim L.

[Quote]And what is the “Offset” doing? I read the description but it does not seem to act like it is described. While trying to find an answer to the question above I changed the setting to .5 and then to 5 and in both cases a single number gets inserted in the middle of the wire???[Unquote]

You should read the Ground Rules (point 2 is fun).
If Autodesk follows these you should be banned from this discussion group.

Peter
Message 9 of 11
Peter_KSBE

Tim,

[Unquote]The examples I had seen use offset numbers >10[Unquote]
My example was done in Metric measurements (mm).
So the length of the example line was 80mm (= 8cm = 3.1496....inch)
The 8 steps of 10mm (= 1cm = 0.3937....inch) where logical for us.
In your example however i think the line length is about 8 inch, so every value above 4 will then center the wirenumber, and every value below 4 will work.

Peter
Message 10 of 11
poushag

Peter, I apologize. AutoCAD can be very frustrating to use and I should have realized that your response was not directed to me. I would have redacted the errant post, but the edit bubble is not showing.

I would like to see respondents trying to reproduce the issues experienced by those who post with problems. I am glad Tim got his situation worked out. As for mine, I think that Autodesk has a bug to fix and that I now understand the nature of it: I inserted a terminal on the wire that does NOT change the wire number. The resulting wire number should then be positionable anywhere along the wire (on either side of that terminal) but it is stuck on the left side. The wire on the left side of the terminal also happens to be so short that in effect the wire number has no room to move. Autodesk, would you care to reproduce and possibly fix this bug?
Message 11 of 11
Tim_L

Hey Peter,

Thank you for the post. In doing schematic ladders I have reason to check the engineering units about once a year. I tend to forget about those little 'gotch ya' setting inbetween times.

Thanks again, Cheers

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost