AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wire Networks and Created Symbol issues

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
henslero
784 Views, 3 Replies

Wire Networks and Created Symbol issues

Hello,

From time to time when I create a new symbol with multiple wire connections ACADE counts seperate wires as one network throught the new symbol.   The symbol is not on a wirelayer.  

Thank you in advance,

Rob

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
dougmcalexander
in reply to: henslero

Possibly an issue with the distance between wire connections being closer than the wire trap distance. Check your Feature Scale Multiplier setting. I suggest no less than 0.5 and no greater than 2. The FSM should not be used for conversion between Metric and English. Use the Modify Symbol Library utility if you need to scale library symbols. Be sure to make a backup copy of the library folder first.

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Phone and Web-based Support Plans Available

Phone: (770) 841-8009

www.linkedin.com/in/doug-mcalexander-1a77623

Please Accept as Solution if I helped you. Likes are also much appreciated.
Message 3 of 4
henslero
in reply to: dougmcalexander

FSM is set to 1, wire spacing is set to .5".  

Message 4 of 4
dougmcalexander
in reply to: henslero

The main problem is that your symbol name begins with HC01. The naming convention for connectors is not the same as for other components. The zero in the 3rd character of a connector denotes no wire number change. Therefore the wire number had to remain the same for all connections in or out of the device. You can prove this by moving the symbol away from the wires and running the wire numbers command drawing wide.

I did however notice that your symbol graphics were on the _MULTI_WIRE layer. It is best to use layer 0 (zero) for symbol graphics. I also noticed that there was no TAG1 default value. The TAG1 default value determines the %F portion of the component's assigned tag (a.k.a. device ID). I also noticed that your FAMILY attribute had no value. It is a good idea to match this with the TAG1 value, though the FAMILY attribute is not used for tagging or even for catalog table assignment, as many believe. It is used to keep us from trying to create a parent-child relationship between dissimilar devices.  I added a value of PL for the TAG1 and FAMILY attributes.  PL is the component class designation for a plug according to NFPA-79 and ANSI-Y32.2.

I changed the symbol name to HCN1_etc. This is the file naming convention used for things such as power receptacles, and this component naming format results in a wire number change through the device.

I have attached a corrected drawing and the corrected symbol.

One other issue I noticed is that the origin point of your X-Y grid was not exact.  I adjusted this to match the upper left intersection of the vertical and horizontal border lines.  If this is not precise the increments between zones might not be precise according to your lines of demarcation.

Note: Terminal blocks also have a special naming convention and their 3rd character denotes wire number change or not with a 0 or 1.

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Phone and Web-based Support Plans Available

Phone: (770) 841-8009

www.linkedin.com/in/doug-mcalexander-1a77623

Please Accept as Solution if I helped you. Likes are also much appreciated.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost