AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wire connections don´t scale up?

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
CAD-ICE
837 Views, 6 Replies

Wire connections don´t scale up?

Hi there,

I´m experimenting using ACADE using single line drawings such that components shown on the single line drawings are also represented on a building layout diagram. I´m using the wdtagalt attribute to show the same component on seperate drawings and when inserting the appropriate symbol on the layout drawing I set the scale scematic setting to 30 in the insert component dialog box. The problem occurs when I need to draw a wire from the symbol as the wire connections don´t seem to scale up with the symbol thereby making it difficult to see them!

One other thing I´m experiencing is that if the UCS is such that "North" is pointing at 3 oclock the insert wire tool  seems to have problems?

Any suggestions appreciated.

Regards, Gary

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
dougmcalexander
in reply to: CAD-ICE

Wire connections are normally invisible anyway. The TERM01, TERM02, etc. attribute values should be visible and should scale up. Also be sure that the insertion point is at 0,0 for the block. If not, the block can scale up and away from the insertion point.

Hint: Press X and Enter while in the wire command to see wire connections marked with a green "X".

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Phone and Web-based Support Plans Available

Phone: (770) 841-8009

www.linkedin.com/in/doug-mcalexander-1a77623

Please Accept as Solution if I helped you. Likes are also much appreciated.
Message 3 of 7
CAD-ICE
in reply to: dougmcalexander

Hello Dough,

well that´s basically what I meant that is, when pressing "X" to see the wire connections, the green wire connections aren´t scaled up. So when using symbols on a bigger scale drawing for instance on a building layout, the green wire connections are barely visible.

Thank´s again,

Regards, Gary

Message 4 of 7
dougmcalexander

The green x is just a temporary graphic generated by the he software the show wire connections. It is not part of the block. The closer you are zoomed in the larger the green x.

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Message 5 of 7
CAD-ICE

Ok I get it...was kind of hoping that the green temporary graphics had something to do with the term attributes.

Anyway it would be nice if this function did scale up automatically with the term attributes...don´t you agree?

I hope Autodesk will register this on the wish list for later issues.

By the way, I posted another post yesterday regarding using ACADE for representation of component on a building layout. Do you have any comments?

Thank´s again Dough for all your support through the years Smiley Happy

Regards, Gary

Message 6 of 7
dougmcalexander

Gary, the green X option was added by Nate Holt at my request, back in 1997, before I knew about the wire trap. I had been using a competitive program that required the connections to be exactly on snap. Nate was too kind to tell me to just get the wire close and let the wire trap handle it from there. He added the green X just as I requested.

You should normally have an entry in the pin field of the block. This appears on the from/to list and helps you know approximately where to attach your wire. That is why, after all these years, nobody has requested changes to the green X. You can also add a graphic to represent a screw. The Symbol Builder includes that option. Also, I always recommend to place wire connections on a new symbol so that they are on the grid/snap to make it easier to insert wires.

Doug McAlexander

Message 7 of 7
CAD-ICE

Hi Dough and thank´s for thorogh answers as usual.

I can as you mention alway´s add a graphical connection point and that´s what I´m going to do.

Best regards, Gary

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost