AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why Electrical will not work with mm?

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
drauckman
553 Views, 3 Replies

Why Electrical will not work with mm?

I created a template and setup everything to the units that we work with (mm).  The template project that I have I setup the Scale Multiplier in the properties dialog to inch, inch scaled to mm, and mm full size.  I have typed "units" at the command line and changed it to unitless, mm, inches.  I have tried every iteration of the two combinations and yet when I go to draw a parametric plc it draws the points on top of each other almost.

When dropping the PLC there is a Spacing setting, which has a default of .75.  If I multiply this by 25.4 then I get a more suitable output.  Is there a way to set the default so I do not have to manually enter in a number every time?

I know during install at one point there was an option for mm or inches for drawing settings.  I selected mm, in 2010 I selected inches (and did not have all the scale and layout problems).  How can I change the setup of AutoCAD so it is in inches instead of mm?

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
JDMather
in reply to: drauckman

@tonofsteel wrote:
 How can I change the setup of AutoCAD so it is in inches instead of mm?

-dwgunits  (be sure to include the - dash)

follow the command line prompts.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 3 of 4
electricman1
in reply to: drauckman

Project Properties has a few multiplier settings.

I have experimented with mm scaling. One thing I did see is a difference in the "units" insertion scale settings for object block files. Some were set to unitless and some inches. Most of these block drawings were custom and not out-of-the-box defaults.

If I were to try mm scaled drawings I think I would load the ACADE with inches selected and make sure your CAD drawings are set to unitless. Then play with the scale settings in the properties. This is were I would go next, however, I wouldn't guarantee this to solve all your issues.

I know of a very large company that using inch scale for the electricals and mm scale for the mechanicals. Since electricals are not heavily dependent on scale, inch scale seems ok for most international customers. However, the mechanicals rely more on accurate scale modeling and requested by customers.

Message 4 of 4
Icemanau
in reply to: electricman1

Even though you have you dwg set to use mm, it sounds like your blocks are still using the inch standard.

Reset your template so that the symbol library is looking at one of the metric systems (IEC for example) and this should fix some of your your problems.

Regards Brad

Icemanau (NNTP handle: Brad Coleman
AutoCAD Electrical User and IT Hardware Support

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost