AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why do i have to keep resetting the user settings to "factory Default" ???

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
AcadE2014
657 Views, 13 Replies

Why do i have to keep resetting the user settings to "factory Default" ???

Hello All,

I am running into an issue with having to reset my user setting to "Factory Default" on a regular basis. Today is another example. I tried to edit a symbol in symbol builder and NONE of the required fields are coming up...completely blank (see attachment).

I was told it could be windows search indexing that causes this issue but I disabled that early last week.

By the end of the day my electrical commands will simply stop working.

This is the second company i have worked for that has this same issue.

Last company I was using ACADE 2012 and this one is ACADE 2014.

Has anyone seen this and/or have a solution for this issue???

I have submitted a case file to Autodesk but there seem to be more knowledgable people here and certianly a fast responce than Autodesk.

Thanks for you help in advance.

Dennis

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
rhesusminus
in reply to: AcadE2014

As you might understand, this isn't something that everyone experiences.

It could be everything from the anti-virus software to internal settings in the company network structure (like if roaming data is replicated to a server rather than locally on the computer).

So, your best bet it to communicate with Autodesk to get to a solution to this.

Trond Hasse Lie
AutoCAD Electrical and EPLAN expert
Ctrl Alt El
Please select "Accept Solution" if this post answers your question. 'Likes' won't hurt either. 😉
Message 3 of 14
AcadE2014
in reply to: rhesusminus

I have submitted this to Autodesk. There response :

"As for the Electrical commands simply going south, that just shouldn't be happening.Certainly, we've had scattered other reports of that happening from time to time, but not on a reoccurring basis. That's a difficult one to track down, but backing up your settings, and then restoring them when it happens again should save you a considerable amount of time getting things back how you like them."

"

My interpretation of that statement is "HEY we understand your problem but it's YOUR problem".

I will continue to figure out what is going on WITHOUT Autodesks help.

Thanks for your help.

Dennis

Message 4 of 14
PatMurnen_Adsk

Dennis,

One thing you might do is to turn the log file on in AutoCAD Electrical. Then when something stops working you can post the day's log files (zip them) and I can take a look at them. There may be a clue in there. You can get even more detail in the log files by turning on the Command Trace for AutoCAD Electrical.

In AutoCAD Electrical

LOGFILEON - turns on log file

AEONLISPDEBUG - turns on AutoCAD Electrical command trace

LOGFILENAME - provides the current log file name and the default location for all log files

Also, when you post provide as much detail as possible including any error messages that you see. Screen shots are especially helpful. I didn't see an attachment to your original post. Was there a file there?

When you say you reset to Factory Defaults, what exactly are the steps you take that gets things working again?

Regards,

Pat Murnen

Pat Murnen
Principal Content Developer
Product Development – AutoCAD Product Line Group

Autodesk, Inc.

Message 5 of 14
AcadE2014
in reply to: PatMurnen_Adsk

Thanks Pat

I will turn on the logging.

The link between symbol builder and the libraries was broken for some reason. I adding the link back and the symbol builder started working again. Don't know why I lost the link but adding it back corrected the issue.

It may take a few weeks, a few days, or a few hours for this to crash again but I will post the log file once it happens again.

Thanks for your help

Dennis

Message 6 of 14
PatMurnen_Adsk

Dennis,

OK. Can you be more specific on what you mean by the link between symbol builder and the libraries? What exactly did you do to restore the link, i.e. commands you used, options you picked on dialogs, files you copied somewhere etc. What you mean by link to libraries may mean something different to me so the more details you provide the better. So we know we are talking about exactly the same thing.

Regards,

Pat

Pat Murnen

Autodesk, Inc.

Message 7 of 14
AcadE2014

Sorry for not being more detailed.

The link I was talking about is the link to the libraries in the project settings.

Right clicked on the project in the project manager.

clicked on properties.

under the project settings tab, Schematic libraries, added back in the libraries that hold the "AT" drawings.

This project I was working in the morning and for several days before with no issues. I have no idea how or why the libraries changed to the default libraries that were on my C: drive.

In setting up ACADE I have custom libraries on our network drive and I delete the ones on my C: drive.

Thanks

Dennis

Message 8 of 14
PatMurnen_Adsk

Dennis,

Each project .wdp file contains the library paths for that project. So we will want to keep an eye on the .wdp file to see if it is getting changed somehow. Also, when you set up a new project make note of the project it is taking its settings from. Make sure you select a project that has your custom library setting rather than one of the sample projects supplied which will have the default library paths.

Regards,

Pat

Pat Murnen

Autodesk, Inc.

Message 9 of 14
AcadE2014

My template project has the correct libraries included in it.

I will see if the WDP file is changed next time this issue arises.

Again I had been using this project for several days with no issue before this came up so something is changing and now I have some places to look when it happens again

Thanks again for your help

Dennis

Message 10 of 14
AcadE2014

Pat,

I am not sure if this is related to the same issue but now I cannot use the Manage Visibility States button in symbol builder. I can change states on an existing symbol but I cannot add a new state.

Attached is a screen shot and the symbol.

In the screen shot the first command is changing the states from on to off. the second command is trying to start the manage visibility states command. All I get is a error chime when I click anywhere on AutoCad E. I have waited upto 5 minutes and the command never starts.

I did notice that the 2 commands are different in that when I change states the command is "_-bvstate" and the command when I push the Manage Visibility States is "_bvstate" missing the - in the second command.

If I type in the "_-bvstate" i can then add the new state.

I have the log available but I am unsure as to when this started as I do not use this command in symbol builder often.

Any ideas where to start looking to see where this has gone wrong?

Thanks

Dennis

Message 11 of 14
PatMurnen_Adsk

This command is not an AutoCAD Electrical command but a base AutoCAD command. So I am not that familiar with it. I do know that the chime sound usually indicates that a dialog is active and you need to dismiss it before you can do anything else.  The _bvstate command without the dash would bring up a dialog. Is there a dialog off the screen, maybe on a second monitor?

If this is reproducible on any block and when using just the AutoCAD Block Editor (rather than the AutoCAD Electrical Symbol Builder) I would suggest just using the AutoCAD Block Editor to troubleshoot and maybe post on the AutoCAD discussion forum. The AutoCAD Electrical log would not be useful in this case.

Regards,

Pat

Pat Murnen

Autodesk, Inc.

Message 12 of 14
AcadE2014

Pat,

I only have 1 monitor and I checked and there is no dialog box popping up.

It does the same thing in the autocad block editor although opening it through the block editor seems to be the same dialog box.

It also does this on any/all/new blocks.

Thanks

Dennis

Message 13 of 14
PatMurnen_Adsk

Dennis,

you can post a video of what you are doing here and see if anyone can tell what is happening. But, I think the AutoCAD discussion forum is a better place.

Regards,

Pat

Pat Murnen

Autodesk, Inc.

Message 14 of 14
Icemanau

If you have a missing dialog box and think it may be offscreen, try the following.

1. Alt+Spacebar

2. M

3. Use arrow keys on the keyboard to move the Open
dialog window back onto the viewable screen

Hope this helps.

Regards Brad
>

Brad Coleman, Electrical Draftsman
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost