AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WDP file issues

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
henslero
715 Views, 6 Replies

WDP file issues

Hello,

I am using ACADE 2013.   I cannot get the tag format to change.   The project wdp file is reflecting the changes but it seems the project is reading another wdp file.   Is there a way to find out where the stray wdp file is that it is reading?

Thank you,

Rob

Tags (2)
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
testsubject
in reply to: henslero

If you are using Apply Project Properties on a drawing after changing the Project, there is a known bug and this does not work anymore. I have been using Settings Compare to update a each drawing to match the project properties.

Bob Hanrahan
Ace User since 1998
If this answered your question, please click on "Accept Solution"
Message 3 of 7
henslero
in reply to: testsubject

Thank you, that worked.   It seems like I would have run into that before.   Now everything works except the parametric plc tagging.   It does not increment the cards from one drawing to another, therefore linking the cards because it is repeating tags.   Thank you again for your help and any more wisdom is appreciated.

Rob

Message 4 of 7

Bob, I haven't noticed an issue with making a change to the tag format in project properties and applying that to all drawings.  I just tried to deliberately break it but couldn't.  Is there a particular set of steps to go through to duplicate the issue you are referring to?

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Phone and Web-based Support Plans Available

Phone: (770) 841-8009

www.linkedin.com/in/doug-mcalexander-1a77623

Please Accept as Solution if I helped you. Likes are also much appreciated.
Message 5 of 7
dougmcalexander

The PLC tag format is controlled by the PLC database.  The format is set to a default value of PLC%N.  If you wish to see the sheet number in the tag, the format has to be set to PLC%S%N and this must be set for each PLC module that you use. 

Some people use ladders that create the rung numbers by adding the sheet value (%S) to the rung numbers (%N), so rung 100 is actually sheet 1 rung 00.  It looks the same on the drawing as if you had simply typed in 100 for the first line reference when inserting the ladder.  So if your ladder style is set to Reference Numbers>Numbers Only and you type in a first line reference of 100, it is assumed that this ladder is on sheet 1.  In this case the entire line reference number indicates sheet and rung together and is part of %N.  This is the default method the software uses and therefore the PLC symbols are tagged with the rung number only.  So if you use Reference Numbers>Numbers Only and type the sheet number in as part of the first line reference number for a new ladder the PLC tag will be correct.  You will have to edit each PLC in the PLC database and add any additional replaceable parameters that you would like to include in the tag.  This can be done using MS Access so you can find and replace.

When you split a PLC across multiple drawings, all "pieces" of the PLC are still representing the same physical module, thus they all get the same tag.  This is not an error.  However there is no cross-referencing back and forth between the pieces, or sections, to indicate where the other sections are located.  I manually insert stand-alone cross-references next to my broken modules to indicate where the related previous or next section is located.  We actually cover this as part of my work flow-based training class.  I through in lots of tips and tricks that are not necessarily documented or endorsed by Autodesk, but which have become staples for me over the years for my own design projects.

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Message 6 of 7
testsubject

Doug,

I misunderstood the OP's  question.

The issue I am talking about is when using the Apply Project Defaults to one or more drawings, it does not work. The only thing that does work is Settings Compare and from there I can update a drawing to match the Project Properties. I have brought this to Pat's attention and she was able to duplicate it. This is in 2013.

Bob Hanrahan
Ace User since 1998
If this answered your question, please click on "Accept Solution"
Message 7 of 7

I changed the tagging format on a project from %F%N to %F%A%N and it applied to all drawings just fine.  There must be a particular work flow that exposes the issue and I am not seeing it.

Doug McAlexander

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost