AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

wd.env file location

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
daniel.davies
7176 Views, 7 Replies

wd.env file location

HI,

I'm having trouble changing the path of my wd.env file. Currently it points to the default position in 'MyDocuments\Acade 2010\Aedata' .. But I would like it to use the wd.env file kept on a server ''\\server03\Aedata\'' ... I have changed the 'Support file path' in 'options', and moved it to the top line... However, when I click on the settings of a project, I can see it is still looking at the wd.env file on my documents?? Many thanks

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Electrical tends to find the local AeData folder, if it is there.  If not found it will use the alternate that you have listed in Options>Support File Search Path.  When I am working in the office and wish to share the networked Electrical  projects, Catalogs, etc., I temporarily rename my local AeData (on my laptop) to AeData_Local so Electrical has to look elsewhere.  It finds the network path to AeData in the Support File Search Path and uses it.  Hint: Close down and restart Electrical after you make changes to the Support File Search Path.

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Phone and Web-based Support Plans Available

Phone: (770) 841-8009

www.linkedin.com/in/doug-mcalexander-1a77623

Please Accept as Solution if I helped you. Likes are also much appreciated.
Message 3 of 8

Yes that works great thanks for your help.

Message 4 of 8

Electrical tries very hard not to lose the connection to its support files. Sometimes we have to fool it.

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Message 5 of 8

Hello,

I know this post is old, but I just ran into this very same problem. I knew howto modify the Support file search path to point to a new wd.env file, but I could not for the life of me figure out why it would not pick up the new wd_env file! Wow really frustrating until I found this post. Yes the renaming of the folder did the trick.  I wonder where AutoCAD is hiding those values and if there is a way to purge it.

Thanks again!

Matthew Johnston
Sr. Controls Scientist
Corning Inc.
Message 6 of 8

Just FYI...There is also an entry in the wd.env where you can set an alternate suport file path. See attached.  

But I find it easier to just rename the local AeData temporarily, instead of modifying the wd.env.  I have the 😧 drive of my laptop set up to mirror the entire network of some of my support contract customers. I can set my Support File Search Path to their AeData path on my 😧 drive and operate as if I am at their office, allowing me to troubleshoot with them, work on development of their infrastructure, or even work on a project for them.  

It is great how all you need to do is lock on to the location of the AeData folder and everything else falls into place!

Doug McAlexander

Message 7 of 8

This is so old but still works in 2023.
Thanks @dougmcalexander 
Forced ACADE 2022 to read users custom wd.env file by renaming the default support folder C:\Users\username\Documents\Acade 2024\AeData to C:\Users\username\Documents\Acade 2024\AeData_Local

Message 8 of 8

Thank you!  Long ago, I requested that Autodesk force the software to use the first AeData folder it finds in the Support File Search Path, that is actually accessible. That way, we could enter the path to the AeData folder on the network above the local one, and the software would use the network path first, if found.  When we leave the office with a laptop and work from a hotel or a plane, the software wouldn’t find the network AeData folder so it would skip down the Support File Search Path and use the local (originally installed) AeData folder.  When we return to the office, we login to the network and the software again uses the AeData folder on the network. But alas, my request must have fallen on deaf ears/eyes.

Doug McAlexander

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost