AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Updating....

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
313 Views, 5 Replies

Updating....

What exactly is happening when I see this pop-up:

Untitled.jpg

I assumed it meant that ACADE was updating either the mdb database file for the project, or the wdp file.  However, I will often see this box displayed for 1/2 hour or more.  It would be ridiculous for either of those file updating tasks to take that long.

We will get this problem especially often and bad (long delay each time you see it) when we have multiple drafters working within the same autocad electrical project.

I figure my 1st step to fixing it is to find out exactly what ACADE is doing when I see this pop-up.

Thanks.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Icemanau
in reply to: Anonymous

Your problem is that multiple people are working within the same project.

ACADE has to reconcile all the changes that each person is making in regards to what is being changed in the other dwgs. 

As an experiment, try updating a project were you are the only person working on it. Then get a couple of other drafters to open the same project and then a dwg withing the project before running an update again. This will demonstrate the difference in time taken for the updates.

I assume that each drafter is working on a seperate sectionof the project, so it would make more sense to break the large single project up into several smaller projects that only encompase the particular section.

You still keep the large overall project to tie everything together but for working on the dwgs and such, you would use the smaller projects. This will speed up the processing of the projects when a drafter starts a project wide update for a particular section.

Regards Brad

>

Brad Coleman, Electrical Draftsman
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: Icemanau

Sorry I probably shouldn't have even bothered to mention that the problem gets worse when other people work on the project. It distracts from my main question.  I get this pop-up even when I'm the only one working on the project.

My main question is: what exactly is happening "behind the scenes" when I see this pop-up?

Is it writing changes to the project's MDB file database stored at:

C:\Users\ferrellc\AppData\Roaming\Autodesk\AutoCAD Electrical 2013\R19.0\enu\Support\User

?

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous

Hi Dirtyc,

When the Updating Screen is up, it is syncing your drawing Information with the Scratch database (and Visa-versa).

It usually happens when you start a new project, or if you open a project on a machine that never opened the Project before.

It also gets triggered when you share the drawings with someone else, and they make a change to the drawing.

I know I have seen it trigger when you have tasked items as well.

(oddly I can't get it to work on my end ...likely because I was the one who tasked the changes... it shouldn't make a difference but I have stopped asking question like that...LOL) 

I hope this helps,

James Alger

SolidCAD

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi Dirtyc,

When the Updating Screen is up, it is syncing your drawing Information with the Scratch database (and Visa-versa).

Ok, so what I thought was happening was correct.  That's mainly what I wanted to know.  Now why on earth it takes so long to update a database that is local to machine....that's another mystery entirely.

I can understand why this might take sometime when multiple users are on the same project.  if 5 guys were working on it and 1 made a change, those changes would need to be wrote to his local scratch database, as well as the 4 others sitting on the other 4 guys' local machines.

Message 6 of 6
rwydesk500

I thought those "scratch" databases were on the network drive such that multiple people could access the same project.

Regards,

Rick Yoerger

AutoCAD Electrical 2016

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost