AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Updating details from single line components to schematic components??

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
Tee.Dee
455 Views, 7 Replies

Updating details from single line components to schematic components??

Hey all,

I have a bunch of single line drawings and schematic drawings.  If I add descriptions etc. to the single line component it asks if I want to "Update other drawings?"  this is fine and it updates the schematic version of the symbol.

The problem I am having is I have exported the single line drawings to Excel in order to add descriptions etc. but after I import the Excel sheet back into ACADE the schematic symbols are not updated.

Is there any way to update these schematic symbols so that they match up with the single line versions?

Thanks.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Tee.Dee
in reply to: Tee.Dee

Nevermind, I think that the changes need to be made to the schematic parent in order to be updated.

Message 3 of 8
rhesusminus

I don' belive that will work either.

THe update from spreadsheet will only update every specific block, and doesn't care about what belongs together.

Best thing here might be to export all components to excel, and change the values for both parent/children/single-line symbols here, before importing back into the drawings.

There isn't any synchronization tool that will sync this later on. A little programming might fix that tho'...

Trond Hasse Lie
AutoCAD Electrical and EPLAN expert
Ctrl Alt El
Please select "Accept Solution" if this post answers your question. 'Likes' won't hurt either. 😉
Message 4 of 8
Tee.Dee

Hmm yes you are right, Im sure I got it to work yesterday....  What I did was edit the schematic parts in excel, import to ACADE then use the "Child Location/Description Update" from the "Edit Components" tab to update the single line symbols but that doesnt seem to be working for me anymore.

Message 5 of 8
rhesusminus

Seems like that function only updates child components. The single-line symbol also is a parent (and peer) symbol, so i guess that is why it won't work.

Trond Hasse Lie
Ctrl Alt El
Please select "Accept Solution" if this post answers your question. 'Likes' won't hurt either. 😉
Message 6 of 8
Tee.Dee
in reply to: rhesusminus

Correct, would be nice if it updated everything.

On a spreadsheet related matter, the spreadsheet that I export has no values in the "TAG1F" column, so if I then import the spreadsheet all of the tags are blanked out.  The strange thing is that it still knows what each of the tags are for each component as when I make further changes to the spreadsheet and import them again the correct components still update eventhough they now have no TAG1F value, how is this possible?  To keep the tags from being blanked out im having to copy the values from the "TAGNAME" column and paste them into the "TAG1F" column.

Message 7 of 8
rhesusminus

What is it that you export? I don't get any columns named TAG1F when I export to spreadsheet.

AcadE uses the (HDL) and (FILENAME) column to identify what blocks to update. That's why it works when the tags are blanked out.

Trond Hasse Lie
Ctrl Alt El
Message 8 of 8
Tee.Dee

Oh ok, that will be handy to know then, thanks.

Im exporting a drawing set that contains single line drawings, schematics and I/O drawings,  I dont have any column named "TAG1" I only have "TAG1F" weather I have fixed tags or not.  I am using the General option to export.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost