AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Update Wire Signal and Stand-Alone Cross-Reference not working

28 REPLIES 28
Message 1 of 29
mckuiper
2336 Views, 28 Replies

Update Wire Signal and Stand-Alone Cross-Reference not working

Since a few weeks i use Autocad Electrical 2012 and when i will update my signal references, it doesn't work.

I used the box from the pulldown menu Wires>Signal References>Update Signal References.

(I use the autocad electrical classic menu and not the ribbon menu)

In the box i have only checked "Update source/destination Cross-references" en then i click on Project Wide.

In the older versions it works but now it doesn't work anymore.

Can someone help me?

28 REPLIES 28
Message 21 of 29

Good point about making it a project setting. This would provide the flexibility.

Pat Murnen
Principal Content Developer
Product Development – AutoCAD Product Line Group

Autodesk, Inc.

Message 22 of 29
drathak
in reply to: PatMurnen_Adsk

@murnenp wrote:

I can log the wish that the destination descriptions update when a source description is changed. Couple of questions -

1) Would you always want them updated or are there circumstances where you would want them to remain different?

2) Would you expect the source to update if a destination description was modified?

Logging an issue means that it is considered for a future enhancement.

Pat

I can see where you are going with those questions, I think.  Yes, I would like to ok any change of the descriptions.  I'm using them to indicate "From" and "To" descriptions.  So I would want Source to update destination only on the initial insertion.  If I changed either after that, I would want to be asked how I want to handle the other end.

--------------
Joe Weaver
Principle Associate Engineer - Nashville Electric Service
P&C Committee Chair – SDS Industry Consortium
Message 23 of 29

Doug,

I will log this wish item regarding the wire types, to keep them in sync if a wire type is changed after insertion. 

Pat

Pat Murnen

Autodesk, Inc.

Message 24 of 29
PatMurnen_Adsk
in reply to: drathak

I will add this information to the logged item. Maybe a project setting as suggested, or maybe a task dialog where you get a chance to say how to handle it and to always handle it that way and not to show the dialog again. Anyway, I will make sure it is understood in the logged item that not everyone wants the update to happen automatically.

Thanks for the feedback,

Pat

Pat Murnen

Autodesk, Inc.

Message 25 of 29

I like the project setting idea as well.

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Phone and Web-based Support Plans Available

Phone: (770) 841-8009

www.linkedin.com/in/doug-mcalexander-1a77623

Please Accept as Solution if I helped you. Likes are also much appreciated.
Message 26 of 29

Thanks so much Pat!

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Message 27 of 29

There is one problem with the way that the wiretype update works. It "passes" through a terminal if one is attached. For me, this is a problem when the wiretype is Jumper. If I say "Yes" all wires on the same branch are changed to the new wiretype including the wires attached to the opposite side of the terminal. If it stopped at a terminal, that would be fantastic.

Bob Hanrahan
Ace User since 1998
If this answered your question, please click on "Accept Solution"
Message 28 of 29

I agree Bob.  I asked about that issue years ago but it got no traction.  I was told that it is because of the fact that terminals and connectors pass the wire number through them, and thus the wire type assignment passes through.  It seems to me that, since wire numbers are separate from wire type assignments, one of the greatest features of AutoCAD Electrical, there should be a way to stop the wire type assignment from passing through terminals and connectors.

Doug McAlexander

Message 29 of 29

I would also like the option to "Update the Source/Destination Descriptions" when updating signal references. We are running 2014, so maybe this has already been added?

As noted by Rhesus, the company I am at right now likes each end of the Source/Destination arrows to say "From: XXXXX",

"To XXXXX"

Ideally I want the source to note the location of the destination and vice versa. I want to add the "Location" to the XREF. I already "show" the signal code. That way I don't have to add a description if I don't want to, and it's all interactive and clean.

Example for for Source:

24VDC-LIFT CONTROL

10-E05,TO RACK 12

Example for matching Destination:

24VDC-LIFT CONTROL

02-C10, FROM CONTROL CABINET

My two cents.

Lynne

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost