AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to change part catalog number on schematics

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
BorisGu
491 Views, 12 Replies

Unable to change part catalog number on schematics

For some reason I am unable to change Circuit Breaker catalog number (on schematics).

I can change catalog number, locate in database, click OK, and part number is magically will change to its original value.

I changed two parts in multiple catalog section for the same block with no problems.

I changed the same part number and multiple catalog parts on layout drawing.

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
RickWoodAU
in reply to: BorisGu

Did you ever figure this out. I have a user having this problem on his computer and cannot figure what is causing it. It doesn't happen on any other system. He changes the catalogue assignment but he doesn't get the option to change pinlist and keep the P/N, it just bulls through as though the check box for not showing this option again has been checked.

Related question, if you are trying to change a P/N, why would an option come up to not allow the P/N change?

RWoodwyk
Message 3 of 13
BorisGu
in reply to: RickWoodAU

Hi Rick,

I still can't explain exactly why this happened.

I was working on somebody else schematics and after I changed part number, clicked OK, part number was restored to the previous one. I think, this happend as it was connected to the layout footprint.

I end up erasing schematics components and re-inserting them again.

I hope this will help.

Boris

Message 4 of 13
RickWoodAU

That's about the conclusion we have come to. Thanks for the reply.

RWoodwyk
Message 5 of 13
dougmcalexander

That is odd. The part number is served from the project scratch database. After you change it on the schematic does AutoCAD Electrical prompt to update the footprint? After both schematic symbol and footprint are updated, save and exit AutoCAD Electrical. Delete the project scratch database and restart. See if the CAT value remains.

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Phone and Web-based Support Plans Available

Phone: (770) 841-8009

www.linkedin.com/in/doug-mcalexander-1a77623

Please Accept as Solution if I helped you. Likes are also much appreciated.
Message 6 of 13
BorisGu
in reply to: dougmcalexander

Hi Doug,

I was working on somebody else schematics and after I changed part number, clicked OK, part number was restored to the previous one. I think, this happend as it was connected to the layout footprint but I never was prompted to update it.

I end up erasing schematics components and re-inserting them again.

I had this problem a few years ago and I don't experience any similar now.

Thanks for your responce.

Boris

Message 7 of 13

That is what I was trying to explain, AutoCAD was not asking to update the footprint, it is as though the small box at the bottomwith the "Do not ask again" is permanatly checked so the part number is not updated. On the other systems the prompt does ask to update the footprint. He has restarted autocad, rebooted, and deleted rebuilt the project DB. This is the 3rd copy of this project but the first time he had to change the part number. I had him change the panel layout to refence to keep working and as soon as he did that he could change the schematic P/N.

Our other systems come up with an option to update the footprint, but for some reason his doesn't. I've never had this issue and I can't think of a setting that would do this. Maybe his installation has a slight corruption.

RWoodwyk
Message 8 of 13
RickWoodAU

We have narrowed it down to his personel settings. I can log on to his computer and AutoCADE behaves correctly, but his settings will not allow the option to update the footprint. We reset his default settings and AutoCADE works correctly until he imports his personnel settings again, then the option goes away. Is there a way to change this behavior through a switch setting?

RWoodwyk
Message 9 of 13
dougmcalexander

Check for differences in the support file search path.

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Phone and Web-based Support Plans Available

Phone: (770) 841-8009

www.linkedin.com/in/doug-mcalexander-1a77623

Please Accept as Solution if I helped you. Likes are also much appreciated.
Message 10 of 13

We've looked at the support file paths. Couldn't find anything there.

RWoodwyk
Message 11 of 13
Icemanau

You say it is ok when you rest the settings until he imports his old settings.

Was that with a completely new profile or using his old profile and just restoring the settings to factory default?

If it's using his old profile, there may be a solution but it is slightly time consuming.

Reset the settings and then go through and change each setting to match his old settings manually.

Testing the catalog part number change after each setting change. When you hit the setting that causes the problem, load his old settings and then change the problem setting back to the factory default.

Just be aware that this problem could be caused by a combination of settings, not just one particular setting.

Regards Brad

Icemanau (NNTP handle: Brad Coleman
AutoCAD Electrical User and IT Hardware Support

Message 12 of 13
RickWoodAU
in reply to: Icemanau

Thanks for the reply,

He actually used the migration utility export, then reset the default settings, then imported his settings. Since he had a saved CUI, we also tried just replacing the CUI with his custom one with the same result.

So now we at least know it has something to do with his customized setup and we've come to the same conclusion that he'll have to start with the default CUI and add in one item at a time or just redo his CUI altogether. We had hoped to find a switch but no system variable seems to cover this.

Thanks everyone who tried to help, I'll p[ost again if we ever find a solution.

Rick Woodwyk

RWoodwyk
Message 13 of 13
cmdrumright

We just had this issue come up as well. For anyone running across this, the "Footprint Symbol Missing" dialog box has probably been hidden. To re-enable this go to

Options > System > Hidden Messages Settings

HiddenMessageSettings.PNG

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost