AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Twisted Pair Problems

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
mgerbasio
3371 Views, 5 Replies

Twisted Pair Problems

Hi,

I'm trying to create a wiring detial for filed installed componets connected by twisted pair (non-shielded) cable. Typically the cable is shown as, for lack of a better word, braided. I can't seem to find a way to create this with AutoCAD Electrical. The best I could come up with is using the wire marker. The symbol is fine but it seems the spacing between conductors is fixed also it only adds one marker symbol where I'd like this along the length of the cable.

I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction. I did a google search but came up empty. Thanks.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Icemanau
in reply to: mgerbasio

There is a dynamic block under Miscellanous->Shields (non intelligent) just for twisted pairs. It automatically adjusts for the wire spacing. All you need to do is select the first wire and then the direction to the second wire.

I show this symbol near each connection point when I need to do a twisted pair.

I have seen dwgs with the two wires lookinig like a braid, but that would be very time consuming to do manually and I don't know of any way to have ACADE do it automatically.

Regards Brad

>

Brad Coleman, Electrical Draftsman
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 6
mgerbasio
in reply to: Icemanau

Thanks. I didn't see that one. The brading isn't such a big deal as I can use fan in/out with the symbol at the end. I'm not sure this is an industry standard symbol and I think it would have been better to have made the other twisted pair symbol dynamic.

Message 4 of 6
ham12ish

I do exactly as you suggested myself and it seems to do the trick.

David

Message 5 of 6
DanSteves7940

I finally got around to using IEEE symbols on a new project I started this week. I was attempting to insert a horizontal parent twisted pair cable, and found that the second conductor of the automatically-built symbol had no wire ID. After a little digging I discovered that the hw02_2.dwg block in the IEEE symbol library is missing several attributes, most notably the RATING1 attribute (which is where the conductor ID gets written). The vertical twisted pair command works fine.

My fix was to copy the missing attributes from vw02_2.dwg and paste them into hw02_2.dwg.

Dan Steves
Senior Electrical Engineer
Albany International Corp.
Message 6 of 6
Crustaceans
in reply to: Icemanau

Found it - thanks!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost