AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to modify wd.env file for default symbol broswe location

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
Jlytl
987 Views, 12 Replies

Trying to modify wd.env file for default symbol broswe location

Hello,

I am trying to modify the default location when using them symbol icon menu browse function. I am currently using AutoCAD Electrical 2013 and the wd.env file is located on a network location :

\\autocad\shared\AutoCAD Electrical\symbols

I have attched my attempted modification of the wd.env file

Can anyone please tell me what im doing wrong i have tried many combinations

Thank you for your time

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
Jlytl
in reply to: Jlytl

Sorry the file did not attatch

Message 3 of 13
Icemanau

You are trying to set the location in the wrong place. You do that in the project settings under the FILES tab.

This way, you can have different projects using different libraries/icon menus.

To have your default dwg use the network location, set up a new default project that looks to the location.

See the attached screen shot. Note that the screenshot is for ACADE2008, but should still be valid for the latest version.

Regards Brad

>

Brad Coleman, Electrical Draftsman
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 4 of 13
johnq
in reply to: Icemanau

Hi Folks

What brad sez is still valid for ACE2012.

Regards  John Q

Message 5 of 13
Jlytl

I thought that only sets the libraries am i mistaken? In specific i am trying to set the browse location see attacked photo.

Thanks 

Jared Lytle

Message 6 of 13
testsubject

The path you show looks okay.

Try using forward slashes instead of back slashes in the wd.env. I seem to remember that being a problem before.

Bob Hanrahan
Ace User since 1998
If this answered your question, please click on "Accept Solution"
Message 7 of 13
algerj

Hi Jared,

You are changing the path in the right place for the browse button.

The only problem is you have  " \ " in you path and it should be  " / "

Its different from normal pathing. 

Regards,

James Alger

SolidCAD

Message 8 of 13
algerj
in reply to: testsubject

Well Bob beat me posting it by a minute...LOL

Message 9 of 13
Jlytl

I tried switching to forward slashes instead of backward slashes with no luck. Im startign to wonder if autocad is poitning at the correct wd.env file. Our network is crowded with old files from previous versions of AutoCAD

Message 10 of 13
algerj

Hi Jared,

You can check that out, in the Project settings. (right Click on the Project and Select Settings).

You can see all the pathes that the Project is currently Pointing to.

Also don't forget to restart AutoCAD Electrical After making changes to the ENV File.

Regards,

James Alger

Message 11 of 13
Jlytl
in reply to: algerj

If the default support path was pointing at two locations: one network based and one on my C drive . Would it prioritize them from higest order ?

I think it may be looking at a version o nthe network and on the c drive.

I tried making the network location the highest level but that did not work.

Does it prioritize c drive over network locations?

Thanks

Message 12 of 13
algerj

Hi Jared,

Normally It takes that highest Support Path. (doesn't matter if it Networked or on the c drive.)

You can Override it in the wd.env file (alt support path).

Your using the specific override for the browse button. (INSCOMPDLG). It does the same thing.

That said I would Actually Create 2 seperate Profiles (one for the network and one for the C:drive).

That way you avaoid conflict where the network goes down and then it automagically (...not really magic but...) grabs the C:Drive settings.

make the Network paths your highest level items(if the network is what you want to use) in the support file paths, or create a second profile.

I hope this Helps,

Regards,

James Alger

Message 13 of 13
dougmcalexander

The easiest way to network is to copy the AeData folder to your network and add this path to the top of the Support File Search Path. Rename the local AeData folder to something else, like maybe AeData_, so the software doesn't find and has to resort to the Support File Search Path. The wd.env file is located in the AeData folder. This has an added bonus. If you set up everyone on your network the same way you will all be sharing the same wd.env file.

Hint: The software doesn't care whether you use forward slashes or backslashes in the path names. I do advise not to mix them up on one entry though. Use all forward or all backward slashes. I also recommend putting the entire path in your WD_INSCOMPDLG path. Use an absolute path statement, not relative path.

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Phone and Web-based Support Plans Available

Phone: (770) 841-8009

www.linkedin.com/in/doug-mcalexander-1a77623

Please Accept as Solution if I helped you. Likes are also much appreciated.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost