AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trouble with ASSYCODE

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
rhesusminus
937 Views, 9 Replies

Trouble with ASSYCODE

Hi.

I've attached a small project, showing the problem.

On one instance of a component, I wan't to add one extra of a subpart, so I change the assembly code from "AC100;AC200" to "AC100;2,AC200" manually. In the component database, the assycode is set to "AC100;AC200".

What seems to happen, is that if the assycode in the symbol doesn't match the assycode in the catalog, the description for the "main" part disappears... Not just in the catalog check, but also in the BOM report. Bug or feature?

See pictures

Before:

Before.PNG

After:

After.PNG

Trond Hasse Lie
AutoCAD Electrical and EPLAN expert
Ctrl Alt El
Please select "Accept Solution" if this post answers your question. 'Likes' won't hurt either. 😉
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

If you are keying in the assembly code on the fly, for the flexibility of adding more than one subassembly part to a master part that is not set up as a master, your method should work.  But if the Master does have a code you must match the exact code.  The 2,AC200 to add a second AC200 will not represent an exact match if AC100;AC200 is the code assigned to the master.  Remove the ASSYCODE entry from the master and your code should work.  But if you want a permanent relationship of qty 1 of AC100 and qty 2 of AC200 set the Count field to "2" for the AC200 record in the catalog database.

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Phone and Web-based Support Plans Available

Phone: (770) 841-8009

www.linkedin.com/in/doug-mcalexander-1a77623

Please Accept as Solution if I helped you. Likes are also much appreciated.
Message 3 of 10

So... The answer to my question is that this is a feature?

Strange though that it's just the description for the main part that disappears, while everything else is ok.

It just doesn't make any sense that this shouldn't work.

Trond Hasse Lie
Ctrl Alt El
Please select "Accept Solution" if this post answers your question. 'Likes' won't hurt either. 😉
Message 4 of 10
Icemanau
in reply to: rhesusminus

According to the ACADE 2008 help files, the semi colon is the correct way to seperate different sub part codes. and the '2,' before the assembly code is the correct way to add multiple sub parts.

If this has changed in later issues it should be documented.

I have noted that if you make a change to the catalog entry, you have to select it, exit to the component edit screen and then do a second lookup and selection to have the correct data disply in the catalog check screen.

Regards Brad

Icemanau (NNTP handle: Brad Coleman
AutoCAD Electrical User and IT Hardware Support

Message 5 of 10
bpasqualini
in reply to: Icemanau

Hi,

I totally agree.

I have already reported this to Autodesk last year but there was no reaction.

Best regards

Message 6 of 10
rhesusminus
in reply to: Icemanau

This seems to be "the problem", and I have trouble seeing the logic here.

If an item in the catalog database has an assycode, the assycode in the edit component dialog MUST match the catalog.

If an item in the catalog database has an empty assycode, the assycode in the edit component dialog can be whatever you want. Empty og something you've specified manually.

I see that I works this way, but can't see any reason to why it should be like this? The flexibility of the program would be much greater if one could specify whatever one would like in the assycode textbox.

So, Autodesk: Is there a reason for the functionality to be like this, or can I add this for the wishlist of feature changes?

Trond Hasse Lie
Ctrl Alt El
Message 7 of 10
rhesusminus

*bump* Autodesk?

Trond Hasse Lie
Ctrl Alt El
Message 8 of 10
rhesusminus

*rebump*

Autodesk?

Trond Hasse Lie
Ctrl Alt El
Message 9 of 10
mriley

What i dont understand is that when these are hardcoded into the block there is no automatic update of the multiple catalog.

Am i missing something or is this another oversight?? 

Message 10 of 10

If a part in the database has a check designating it as a subassembly part, there should be an Assembly List value entered. If a main/master part contains this same value (really just a text string, and spaces are allowed) in its Assembly Code field, when a BOM is generated the software will add all subassembly parts with the same assembly list value to the BOM, directly below the master part that contains the same value in its assembly code field.

If you insert a symbol and assign a main/master part number to it, the Assembly Code field will fill in with the previously designated Assembly Code value.  If you determine that, just this one time, you don't need the subassembly parts, delete the text in the Assembly Code field. 

Now here is a neat trick. You have a main/master part that doesn't always need subassembly parts. You can have parts designated as subassembly parts without having a matching main/master part assigned. When you insert a symbol, you can just key in the assembly list value of a subassembly part you would like to add to this main/master part, on the fly.

Optionally, you can add multiple subassembly parts to this same main/master by entering a string of assembly list values separated by a semicolon. The default qty on the BOM will be 1 for each of these subassembly parts. For a qty of 2, add 2 and a comma to the beginning of an assembly list value. For example let's say you have a N.O. aux contact for a motor starter with an assembly list value of NOAUX, and N.C. aux contact with an assembly list value of NCAUX. You want 2 N.O. aux contacts and 2 N.C.contacts added to the BOM for a motor starter. Edit the motor starter coil symbol and key 2,NOAUX;2,NCAUX into the Assembly Code field. When you generate a BOM a quantity of 2 each of the aux contacts will appear below the part number for the starter.

Note that version 2015 will have no check boxes to designate main or sub.  You simply click the edit button in the Catalog Browser for a specific part number and enter the value directly into either the Assembly Code field, to designate a main/master or the Assembly List field, to designate a subassembly part.

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Phone and Web-based Support Plans Available

Phone: (770) 841-8009

www.linkedin.com/in/doug-mcalexander-1a77623

Please Accept as Solution if I helped you. Likes are also much appreciated.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost