AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Toolpalette fexibility questions

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
bryces_dad
325 Views, 7 Replies

Toolpalette fexibility questions

Hmmm,

Okay, TRYING to use Toolpalettes.  I can drag a symbol, lets say a terminal, to the toolpalette, rename etc, and it keeps the part number as I'd expect.  I then drag another copy of the symbol to the palette that has a different part number.  When I use the copy with the new part number, it actually uses the first copy's part number....  Is there any way to reuse a symbol with different part numbers in the palette tools?

Full circuits: I BLOCKED a set of wires and symbols so I could drag them over to the Toolpalette.  I'm unable to select the "explode" option in the properties.

Is there any way to store an entire circuit to the toolpalette and h ave it usable?

Thanks for your support,

Marc

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
rhesusminus
in reply to: bryces_dad

There is no easy way to implement the use of tool palettes in AcadE.

You have to make use of "commands" in the tool palette (no drag'n drop), and read a little bit in the API help file for AcadE.

Trond Hasse Lie
AutoCAD Electrical and EPLAN expert
Ctrl Alt El
Please select "Accept Solution" if this post answers your question. 'Likes' won't hurt either. 😉
Message 3 of 8
bryces_dad
in reply to: rhesusminus

This is unacceptable at this point in the game. The tool has been around in one form or another for decades. You can put blocks over there and use them, just not very well with acade. Every other Ecad out there has easy reuse palettes. I shouldn't have to keep 10 identical symbols in the library with different part numbers just to use this feature. It's no wonder so many are jumping for SWE. Having to learn the api and create my own tools to use a package that still has trouble the basics??? Thought Autodesk would be better than this. My personal business is nearly ready for launch and I have to pull the trigger on ecad... the decision is becoming clearer.
Message 4 of 8
rhesusminus

Autodesk have a nice place to suggest changes:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/autocad-electrical-ideastation/idb-p/37

Trond Hasse Lie
Ctrl Alt El
Please select "Accept Solution" if this post answers your question. 'Likes' won't hurt either. 😉
Message 5 of 8
rhesusminus

Also, in AcadE 2015, using the catalog browser, you can add all the components you use on a regular basis in "favorites".

Have you had a look at this?

Trond Hasse Lie
Ctrl Alt El
Message 6 of 8
bryces_dad
in reply to: rhesusminus

I've read on it... but that does not help in this situation. Currently, using different symbols for terminals based on where they will be and they can have various parts. The same part will be assigned to different symbols and the same symbols will require different parts. I have to use this app where I'm working, but I'm going SWE/EW with my own business. You can simply drag anything you've done to a palette and it's stored and reusable in that state forever (including multiple parts, full circuits..) You don't have to create slides for everything, Symbols and components are treated as separate entities and completely re-assignable, wires auto break/dot/connect/join, etc... etc... Things just take 5 times longer, more, in acade.
Message 7 of 8
sonny3g

Bryce, are you talking about what has been called the Design Center pallette?  Or are you talking about User Circuits?

I am just a little curious and suspect that I may not understand what you are trying to do.

Scott G. Sawdy
scott.sawdy@bluecoyotecad.com
Message 8 of 8
jalger

Marc,

I have to ask why are you trying to use the tool pallet for symbol insertion?

The icon menu has all of the symbols, and can be customized to your liking.

The database stores all of the metadata (Catalog numbers, Pins, descriptions...)

It sounds like your trying to use ACADE as Regular AutoCAD. ( or the other way around...AutoCAD as ACADE, which doesn't work)

Is there any way to reuse a symbol with different part numbers in the palette tools?

With Tool pallets no.

With Icon menu, and lookup absolutely. (this process is the same or VERY similar in SWE)

(if you wanted to you could store catalog data directly on a Symbol... but you would end up with lots of symbols for the same thing)

Is there any way to store an entire circuit to the toolpalette and have it usable?

With Tool pallets no.

With the Icon Menu yes... heck you can wblock out a circuit and use the insert wblock circuit command (so you can store the Circuit anywhere you want to).

I'm not going to tell you what you need to do, you have to make your own decisions... But it sounds like you were leaning towards SWE before Trying out ACADE. What you want to do can be done just not with the tool pallet, I would take a closer look at ACADE before dismissing it.

SWE has its own list of issues.

I hope this helps,

James

James Alger
(I'm on several hundred posts as "algerj")

Work:
Dell Precision 5530 (Xeon E 2176M)
1tb SSD, 64GB RAM
Nvidia Quadro P2000, Win10

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost