AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Titleblock update

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
sparky_mike
519 Views, 10 Replies

Titleblock update

Does anyone know why I all of a sudden have the "update active drawing" button greyed out now when I do a title block update?

I also cannot get my "loop_number" attribute on titleblock to show up when doing drawing index report.

Thanks,

ACADE 2014

Mike

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11

Be sure that the active drawing is part of the active project.

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Phone and Web-based Support Plans Available

Phone: (770) 841-8009

www.linkedin.com/in/doug-mcalexander-1a77623

Please Accept as Solution if I helped you. Likes are also much appreciated.
Message 3 of 11

Hi Doug.

I am in SDI=1 mode, and it is part of the active drawing. I have never seen this before.

Mike Laterrade
Electrical Designer
[cid:image001.png@01CFBC5B.58D98550]
Applied Control Technology
12400 Coit Road, Suite 700
Dallas, TX 75251
214-276-8938 (office)
972-391-3428 (cell)
214-276-8951 (fax)

E-MAIL CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: The contents of this e-mail message and any attachments are intended solely for the addressee(s) and may contain confidential and/or legally privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient of this message or if this message has been addressed to you in error, please immediately alert the sender by reply e-mail and then delete this message and any attachments. If you are not the intended recipient, you are notified that any use, dissemination, distribution, copying, or storage of this message or any attachment is strictly prohibited.
Message 4 of 11

Sounds like a glitch.  Exit the software, delete the project scratch database, and see what happens.  Have you tried SDI=0 just to see if thatbhas any affect. It shouldn't, but there are some functions in AutoCAD Electrical that are not compatible with SDI mode 1.  In fact, I have been told to inform customers that SDI mode could be phased out.  It is not th Electrical developers who would do it.  It is part of the AutoCAD side.  I used SDI mode extensivley in the past, but since 2014 introduced the tabs, I no longer use SDI mode 1.  The tabs help me keep track of how many drawings I have open, and I benefit from not having to open a new session when I want to edit a block.

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Message 5 of 11

Thanks Doug.

I will try that now. I have recently gone back to using sdi=1 mode under the impression it was better for ACADE with the "handshaking" to the databases and such. Glad you mentioned that. I prefer 0 mode, especially for publishing project.

I will let you know how it turns out.

Thanks,

Mike Laterrade
Electrical Designer
[cid:image001.png@01CFBC5E.71862C40]
Dallas, TX 75251
214-276-8938 (office)
972-391-3428 (cell)
214-276-8951 (fax)

E-MAIL CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: The contents of this e-mail message and any attachments are intended solely for the addressee(s) and may contain confidential and/or legally privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient of this message or if this message has been addressed to you in error, please immediately alert the sender by reply e-mail and then delete this message and any attachments. If you are not the intended recipient, you are notified that any use, dissemination, distribution, copying, or storage of this message or any attachment is strictly prohibited.
Message 6 of 11

Mike, once upon a time, single document interface was better for the database.  But in release 2006 multiple document interface made its way to AutoCAD Electrical.  I will admit that I never had a database crash prior to multiple document interface, but once it was introduced, the software had to accommodate it. It has been quite a challenge.  There were many postings here regarding database crashes related to AcePmComServer.exe errors.  But the programmers worked diligently to remedy the issue.  

It would be much simpler for the developers if the software only had to track one drawing at a time, as it relates to all other saved drawings in a project.  It now must track all changes to all open drawings in relation to how they might affect other open drawings, and then reconcile that against the saved drawings.  It can mess with your head just to contemplate what the database manager has to do.  

One of the main reasons some of my customers prefer SDI=1 is when a project is shared on a network and multiple designers are working on it simultaneously.  Since AutoCAD locks a drawing for editing if someone else has the drawing open, SDI=0 opens up the possibility that one user could have a dozen drawings open, which makes it impossible for other designers working on the same project to execute a project-wide update.  Of course that's where the Task List comes in handy, but SDI=1 would at least keep one designer from having more than one drawing locked out.  But again, I have been told that AutoCAD might phase out SDI=1 completely.  The Electrical developers would probably benefit from this decision as well, because they would no longer have to test every command and workflow in both modes.

Doug McAlexander

Message 7 of 11

Doug,
I still cannot get one of my attributes (loop_number) to show up in the drawing list report. I went ahead and started fresh with the wd_TB method of titleblock mapping (per your website), and everything else seems to work, but I cannot get the report format to display this value. I tried to show all available fields, and I do not see the value that is in the loop_number attribute on any.

I am including my .wdp, and .wdl, with a few of the project drawings.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike Laterrade
Electrical Designer
[cid:image001.png@01CFBC7D.CBE83380]
Dallas, TX 75251
214-276-8938 (office)
972-391-3428 (cell)
214-276-8951 (fax)

Message 8 of 11

If you have added a custom attribute to a block, and you wish to see it in the available fields list, you need to click on User Attributes and add the custom attribute to the list. This creates a projectname.wda file in the project folder. Custom attributes listed here will be visible in the available fields for applicable reports. But a drawing list report mainly just shows drawing level data.

Doug McAlexander

Message 9 of 11

Doug,
The loop_number attribute is just an attribute that I have mapped to my .wdl file, but the value is different on every sheet. I enter in the number on each page as it is created, but never run the titleblock update for that attribute since it varies. I had this working recently, but as of late, it is not showing up in the drawing index report.

Mike Laterrade
Electrical Designer
[cid:image001.png@01CFBC7F.6FB69960]
Dallas, TX 75251
214-276-8938 (office)
972-391-3428 (cell)
214-276-8951 (fax)

Message 10 of 11

You could use one of the 3 description lines or section or subsection. These already exist as unique drawing values, which the software will allow you to map to your title block attributes. Map these on the drawing values page of title block setup.

Doug McAlexander

Message 11 of 11

Did not even think of that. That attribute does display, and am not really using it for these loops.

Thanks,

Mike Laterrade
Electrical Designer
[cid:image001.png@01CFBC80.3CEAA480]
Dallas, TX 75251
214-276-8938 (office)
972-391-3428 (cell)
214-276-8951 (fax)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost