AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

titleblock set up

21 REPLIES 21
SOLVED
Message 1 of 22
april_herr
983 Views, 21 Replies

titleblock set up

I just went through the titleblock set up, but when I try to insert my new block, nothing inserts.  It acts like it inserts with no problems but nothing is actually there.  I'm on layer0

21 REPLIES 21
Message 2 of 22
rhesusminus
in reply to: april_herr

It might be like a gazillion reasons to why it doesn't work.

Can you post a drawing with the title block here, and maybe even the WDT-file (if you are using that instead of a WD_TB attribute)?

THL

Trond Hasse Lie
AutoCAD Electrical and EPLAN expert
Ctrl Alt El
Please select "Accept Solution" if this post answers your question. 'Likes' won't hurt either. 😉
Message 3 of 22
testsubject
in reply to: rhesusminus

Is gazillion a technical term? Do you work in tech support??

😉

Bob Hanrahan

Bob Hanrahan
Ace User since 1998
If this answered your question, please click on "Accept Solution"
Message 4 of 22
rhesusminus
in reply to: testsubject

Hehe.. yep, it's a technical term used... well, at least here in Norway 😉

Been working with AutoCAD tech support since 1993...

THL

Trond Hasse Lie
Ctrl Alt El
Please select "Accept Solution" if this post answers your question. 'Likes' won't hurt either. 😉
Message 5 of 22
Icemanau

First of all, open your layer state manager and check for ANY layers that have been turned off or frozen. If there are any, make a note of their names then go through and enable them. If the title block appears, you know that it is not on Layer 0. Also check for any layers that have a colour setting that matches the background colour.

If this is the case, open the title block dwg and move all the geometry to Layer 0 and save. Erase any title blocks that are showing, purge the dwg and try re-inserting the title block.

Regards Brad

Icemanau (NNTP handle: Brad Coleman
AutoCAD Electrical User and IT Hardware Support

Message 6 of 22
april_herr

Ok.  Deffinately on layer 0 and nothing is frozen.  I'm pretty sure I am missing something in the titleblock setup.  When I try to update it, it comes up with a dialog box saying no attributes have been found.  These may be seperate issues?  Thanks for all help guys

Message 7 of 22
rhesusminus

Just open your drawing template-file (dwt), and create a block of your title block (using the BLOCK command i AutoCAD).

Then, everything will update as expected.

See attached drawing.

THL

Trond Hasse Lie
Ctrl Alt El
Message 8 of 22
testsubject

The title block was created in paper space.

Move it to model space and it inserts just fine.

I do not know how you are mapping the attributes though. WD_TB attribute is missing.

Bob Hanrahan

Bob Hanrahan
Ace User since 1998
Message 9 of 22
sonny3g

Is the block a nested block?  If your are inserting your titleblock as a nested block, it will not work.  Titleblock update will not find it to update the attributes.

Scott

Scott G. Sawdy
scott.sawdy@bluecoyotecad.com
Message 10 of 22
april_herr

I'm not sure what a nested block is... So I'm going to say probably not.  Could you explain to me what a nested block is and why it is used?

Thanks!

Message 11 of 22
april_herr

Thank you, that absolutely did work!  Norway? Awesome!Smiley Very Happy

Message 12 of 22
rhesusminus

Yeps. Norway. It's getting colder now, but I could still fire up the bbq for dinner 🙂

Please feel free to use the kudos buttons, and set the post to "solved" 🙂

THL

Trond Hasse Lie
Ctrl Alt El
Message 13 of 22
sonny3g

A nested block is usually not recommended as it "hides" attributes.  How they are created is typically by making a block in a drawing, inserting the drawing as a block into another drawing.  Because you have already created a block in the drawing being inserted as a block you will have nested blocks.

The only time I use nested blocks is when I DO NOT want the attributes to be accessible.  That is usually related to when I have multiple identical blocks but only want one block to feed information to my reports.  Especially useful when presenting mutiple views of a 2D block like an enclosure where each view has pre-defined catalog information.

Scott

Scott G. Sawdy
scott.sawdy@bluecoyotecad.com
Message 14 of 22
april_herr

One more question:  I have my block set up in model space with my WD_TB file associated with it.  But when I try to input info, it reads backwards.  I checked my wd_tb file and it reads fine.

Message 15 of 22
april_herr
in reply to: sonny3g

Thank you for explaining nested blocks.  I will keep this in mind for the futureSmiley Happy

Message 16 of 22
rhesusminus

I'm not completely sure what you mean here. The file APRILS_TEST.txt semms to be a *.WDL-file (that sets the decription labels for the project), and it has nothing to do with the WD_TB attribute... well.. unless your problem shows up when running title block setup?

THL

Trond Hasse Lie
Ctrl Alt El
Message 17 of 22
april_herr

Ok, I am completely confused!  I thought I the text file was my WD_TB.  When I ran the setup the first time, it kept saying my attribute was missing when I ran the update.  But when I do the set up again, I go in order, and the same thing happens where it is backwards.  I apologize for so much confusion!  But I do appreciate your time and helpSmiley Happy

Where does that text file come into play?

Message 18 of 22
testsubject

That text file you posted is the descriptors for the various lines in the Project Description Dialog box. This information will replace Line 1 with Job NO, Line 2 with Cust, etc. It need to be renamed to default_wdtitle.wdl to work properly. 

Here is a wiki that explains how to set it up:  http://wikihelp.autodesk.com/AutoCAD_Electrical/enu/2011/Help/User's_Guide/115Project-WideTools/1399...

Bob Hanrahan 

Bob Hanrahan
Ace User since 1998
Message 19 of 22
april_herr
in reply to: testsubject

I read through that very helpful link, followed it to a 'T' and my titleblock is still going backwards.  The order that I clicked on each attribute, is backwards.  If I look at the WD_TB it lists the attributes in the correct order.I also redid my txt file as per your instruction.  Thank you very much for your help!

April

Message 20 of 22
rhesusminus

I think I know what you mean now.. You mean the order the attributes appear in, when you double-click the title block, right?

In this case, use the BATTMAN command in AutoCAD. Select your title block (in the DWT-file of course), and use the Move Up/Down buttons to move the attributes to whatever order you want them to be in.

THL

Trond Hasse Lie
Ctrl Alt El

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost