AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Titleblock- Model space vs Paper space

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
kenaslan
2293 Views, 7 Replies

Titleblock- Model space vs Paper space

I have noticed that in all of the Demo samples that ship with ACE and with the templates for create new drawing ie. ACAD_ELECTRICAL.DWT the title block are all in Model space. What model space instead of paperspace. All the other versions on AutoCAD have the titleblocks in Paperspace. Is there a functionality that is lost in paperspace?

Ken
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
sgsawdy
in reply to: kenaslan

We find it much easier to ignore paperspace and just do everything in model space. We don't need multiple views in our drawings so we do not need to mess with paperspace at all. Just one thing less we have to mess with.

Scott
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous

I prefer to have the Title Block in Model Space for
schematics and wiring diagrams, but put the Title Block into Paperspace for
General Arrangement drawings that are done on a 1 to 1 scale.

Having said that, we have had customers who wanted
every drawing to be set up with the Title Block in Paperspace..

You do lose the ability to use the co-ordinate
system for the cross-referencing of components and such when you do
this. 
 I think this is the only thing
that get lost when using Paperspace though.

I've also noticed that extra layouts don't get
updated automatically when using Title Block update, and individual dwg numbers
and sheet numbers have to be done manually as they don't get individual
dwg/sheet numbers in the dwg properties.

About the only good thing about P/space is the fact
you can have several layouts attached to the one M/space for different views of
the one dwg. This can be a help with the GA type dwgs when close up views of
details are required.

Regards Brad

style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
We
find it much easier to ignore paperspace and just do everything in model
space. We don't need multiple views in our drawings so we do not need to mess
with paperspace at all. Just one thing less we have to mess with.
Scott
Message 4 of 8
mikegoutier
in reply to: Anonymous

I know this is a bit of an old topic but I am running into this issue now and would like some insight. I have a 17.5' x8'x4' panel I am designing, huge to say the least. It is for a r&d line I am working on so I know there are going to be multiple changes at time goes by. So the old way of doing things would be to do multiple models (copy paste) and every time there is a change, change multiple sheets for even the smallest thing, which Im thinking is going to be around a 50+ page panel layout document. This seems ridiculous to me, if my wire way had to move an inch it would take me a day to be copying and pasting. Does anyone have a better way to do this where i can change 1 model and be done.

Message 5 of 8
testsubject
in reply to: mikegoutier

Mike,

Although I have never had to do this with 50+ drawings, it has worked just fine with 4-5 drawings so it should be scalable.

Create the main drawing in modelspace. For all the other views, create a new drawing and setup the titleblock so it is in Paperspace. In modelspace, xref the master drawing into the new drawing. Create one viewport in paperspace that fits the interior of the titelblock and then "zoom in" to the view you want. Save the drawing as a new name in sequence and then using this new drawing zoomin to the next section. Save as a new drawing in sequence, rinse and repeat until you have all the views that you want..

After creating all the drawings, add them to your project ( I am assuming that the titleblock has the Autocad Electrical attributes already in it) and fill in the description and sheet number, drawing number, etc.Run a titleblock update for the entire project to update the titleblocks. Now when you make changes to the master drawing, all the other drawings will automatically update when you open them.

This works with using only one layout in paperspace. ACE does not work well with updating more than one layout tab.

I hope this helps,

Bob Hanrahan
Ace User since 1998
If this answered your question, please click on "Accept Solution"
Message 6 of 8
mikegoutier
in reply to: testsubject

Bob,

I am very much intrigued as to how this actually works but it seemsl ike you are on the right track. You seem like you are a bit more seasoned than I am. Am I understanding this correctally, you create a project file (.wdp) and create 1 model space drawing, then use the .wdp to only look at paper space? If you could explain a little better or even if you could send an example that would be great.

Message 7 of 8
drathak

I would like to hear a little more on this too.  I want to do our panel layout as one big model space drawing, then provide details on additional sheets as views into the main model.  If I have to do this with XREF's, that's fine, but I'd like to know all the ins and outs before I get started.

--------------
Joe Weaver
Principle Associate Engineer - Nashville Electric Service
P&C Committee Chair – SDS Industry Consortium
Message 8 of 8
sonny3g
in reply to: mikegoutier

The .wdp file does not have anything to do with this issue.

I used to do all my drawings in model space only and a title block with views in paper space only when a customer required it.  Now we do all of our work in model space and all of our title blocks are in paper space. 

We also do plant wide layouts.  These are produced by our mechanical department and consist of many drawings. The controls department has to sift through the layouts to see which ones will carry the information we need and then we create a layout by xrefing in all of those layouts.  In this drawing we create mutiple layouts with a title block in each.  Note, you can use the Titleblock Update tool on this drawing for all information that will be the same in every title block.  We put different sheet numbers and some of the descriptions might be different.  Those we update and change manually.

In each layout we have a different view of the model.  In that view we have the specific items needed.  We have different layers so we can show different levels or associations.  These drawings can get quite large when the plant is several hundred thousand square feet.

This way, any of the xref's get changed by mechanical, those changes will show up in our layout and we can make adjustments.

There is a lot more on this subject, but it is time to go home

Scott 

Scott G. Sawdy
scott.sawdy@bluecoyotecad.com

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost