AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Titleblock issue

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
Anonymous
606 Views, 10 Replies

Titleblock issue

I know similar questions have been asked, but I haven't found any results that worked for me.

My issue is titleblocks...  I have been using ACADE for awhile, and have ALWAYS had a problem with titleblocks.  usually I woudl just ignore it and find a work around.  In my current role, however, I am the one to come up wiht a workaround.  That being said, my issue is this:  I have a titleblock, full of fun little atributes.  I create the WD_TB file, and do the appropriate associations, everything checks out ok.  I insert the titleblock, perform titleblock update, and the screen shows everything working fine (TITLE1, TITLE2, etc acqurie their new values.  One would *think* everything works well.  However, none of the information is shown on the screen.  I've checked layers (all layers are fine).  I've put everything on 'layer 0'.  I've checked 'BATTMAN' to verify none of my attributes are invisible.  Purged any old block.  As I said, everything checks out as if it *should* work.  It doesn't.  I have included my titleblock, for others to see where I may have messed up.

As you can imagine, this is frustrating, and I am hoping someone may be able to point me in the right direction.  Maybe provide some insight as to what I missed.

Any help would be AWESOME

Thank you again

Doug

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
vladop
in reply to: Anonymous

Maybe ATTSYNC command will help.

Message 3 of 11
pqphillips

Try saving the titleblock as a .dwt file and using it to create a new drawing. It helped on my end when I had a similar problem.
Message 4 of 11
rhesusminus

I tried to inert your title block into an empty drawing here, and doing a title block update populated every attribute that should be updated.

It would be more helpful if you could zip together a small project with just the wdp- and one dwg-file.

Trond Hasse Lie
EPLAN Expert and ex-AutoCAD Electrical user.
Ctrl Alt El
Please select "Accept Solution" if this post answers your question. 'Likes' won't hurt either. 😉
Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: rhesusminus

Here is a sample project, with the new title block in.  The test titleblock is in place.

You say got it to work.  Thats the thing, it *should* work.  I just don't get why it's NOT working.  Obviously if you can get it to work, i went through the steps correctly.  I just must be missing something...

If you can help figure it out, that would be awesome.

Doug (again...)

Message 6 of 11
Icemanau

One thing I did find is that the two title attributes use TITLE1A and TITLE2A while the mapping calls for TITLE1 and TITLE2.

Once I changed the block to match the mapping (don't forget to do a attsync), the two title lines showed up fine when I did a title block update.

NOTE - I did try to edit the mapping, but the attribute wouldn't allow any more characters so edited the title block attribute names.

Regards Brad

>

Brad Coleman, Electrical Draftsman
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 7 of 11
rhesusminus
in reply to: Icemanau

As Brad says, there is a difference in the content of the WD_TD attribute in the inserted block, and in the block definition. 

An ATTSYNC will NOT change the content of the inserted block, so the easiest thing to do, is the just delete the title block, and insert a new one.

Then everything works fine.

Remember to do this in your template drawing as well.

Trond Hasse Lie
EPLAN Expert and ex-AutoCAD Electrical user.
Ctrl Alt El
Please select "Accept Solution" if this post answers your question. 'Likes' won't hurt either. 😉
Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: rhesusminus

Ok.  I ended up deleteing the original block and inserting the new one.  I did a title block update, and everything remained blank.  However, when I check the dialog block, it showed everything updating.  I ended doing an 'ATTSYNC' on the titleblock, and then everything showed up.  However, when I chanegd a description on the block and re-updated it, it didn't take.  I had to 'ATTSYNC' again to force the change.  Any ideas as to what I'm missing?

Im fuzzy on the whole 'template' thing.  I am primarily self-taught, with a lot of experience, but the templates have either been already created or I've been able to work around them.  I know there is something I'm missing, but I'll be durned if I can figrue it out.  Advice?  Tips?  Help?

Thanks for the replies guys

Doug

Message 9 of 11
pqphillips

@Anonymous wrote:

Ok.  I ended up deleteing the original block and inserting the new one.  I did a title block update, and everything remained blank.  However, when I check the dialog block, it showed everything updating.  I ended doing an 'ATTSYNC' on the titleblock, and then everything showed up.  However, when I chanegd a description on the block and re-updated it, it didn't take.  I had to 'ATTSYNC' again to force the change.  Any ideas as to what I'm missing?

Im fuzzy on the whole 'template' thing.  I am primarily self-taught, with a lot of experience, but the templates have either been already created or I've been able to work around them.  I know there is something I'm missing, but I'll be durned if I can figrue it out.  Advice?  Tips?  Help?

Thanks for the replies guys

Doug

Okay, when I refer to template, I'm talking about a .dwt file. This is a file that stores all your baseline drawing information (such as titleblock, limits, layers, linetypes, text styles, etc) so you don't have to create them every time. 

What I would do is create a blank drawing and insert your titleblock, ensuring that all your attributes are blank. After that, you do your Title Block Setup. Then you add all your layers and whatnot.

After you have done all this, you do a SaveAs, name the file, and change the drawing type from .DWG to .DWT using the pulldown menu below the file name field. Then you save it to wherever you want it to be (If more than one person uses this titleblock, I would save it to a network location).

At this point, when you create a new drawing from the project manager, you can browse to that .dwt file under the Template information.

This will allow you to create a new drawing with the titleblock already in place, ready to go for you to just update the titleblock as needed.

Message 10 of 11
Anonymous

Ok, i get this.  And I have doen this in the past (but less template, more block).  But why, on my existing projects/drawings, do I need to ATTSYNC to make it work?  THAT is what is really confusing...

Message 11 of 11
pqphillips

Is the WD_M attribute in the drawing?

Are the attributes properly mapped?

If you are just inserting a titleblock into a drawing and moving forward without doing a title block setup (Under the Project Tab), this might be the issue. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report