AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

title block

1 REPLY 1
SOLVED
Message 1 of 2
A2u1t5o9desk
923 Views, 1 Reply

title block

I created a template with a title block embedded in it. When setting up the template I have these attributes TITLE1, 2, 3, that I want to be able to access from the drawing values screen, so when I set them up in the Title Block Setup editor I assigned them to Drawing Description 1, 2, 3 in the Drawing Values tab. This results in values that can be set when a new drawing is created based on this template, but can never be changed again (such as by resetting the fields in Drawing Properties). On the other hand, if I assign TITLE 1, 2, 3, title block attributes to lines in the Project Values tab of the Title Block Setup editor, then they can be changed on drawings created with this template - but only project-wide, not on a per drawing basis. Finally, if I assign TITLE 1-3 to lines in BOTH Project Values and Drawing Values, they remain blank and unchangeable in drawings created based on this template. What would be great is if they could be assignable/changeable in the Drawing Properties editor of a drawing created with the template, on a per-drawing basis, so that each drawing can have something descriptive on the title block that is unique to the drawing. How is this done? How is this done when creating the title block assignments?
1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2

What you seek is normal.  That is how I set my title blocks up. It is how I teach it in my classes as well.  You can have problems if some of your attributes are nested in a block.  I keep everything, border and attributes, at the same level.  I use Title Block Setup to map everything.  I prefer Method 2, so the mapping is stored inside the template.  Drawing values, DD1, DD2, and DD3 of course point to attributes I have positioned as drawing description information, which will be unique for each drawing.  I use DESC1, DESC2, and DESC3, but you could use TITLE1, TITLE2, and TITLE3 if you prefer.  Save this drawing as a .DWG file.  Now, insert it into a blank drawing that you create using the acad.dwt template.  Add Drawing Properties, Wire Types, and assign colors and line types to the layers, if you don't like the defaults.  I usually change the LOCBOX layer to dash dot line type (per IEC but works in U.S. as well) and set the color to green or blue.  You will need to create this layer, or insert a location box from the menu and Electrical will create the layer.

Delete any blocks you have inserted for testing purposes and purge only unused blocks.  Do not purge anything else.  Finally, save this drawing as a template (.DWT).

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Phone and Web-based Support Plans Available

Phone: (770) 841-8009

www.linkedin.com/in/doug-mcalexander-1a77623

Please Accept as Solution if I helped you. Likes are also much appreciated.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost