AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Terminal Panel Layout Item Numbering

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
ZekeZ
697 Views, 1 Reply

Terminal Panel Layout Item Numbering

I'm using ACADE 2011 and I'm having an issue with placing my schematic terminal into my panel layout using the terminal block editor, and having the schematic terminals item assignment copied to the panel terminals item assignment. The panel terminal insert and arrange fine with no issues.

When I do a Panel Report across the whole project with "Full: include schematic components not referenced on panel layout" I show two sets of terminal. The set with the correctly assigned item number from the schematic, and a set with no item assignment on the panel layout. When I alter the panel terminal symbol block to add the P_ITEM attribute, and manually assign it the same item number as the schematic item number, the report generates just fine.

My question is, why isn't this automatically happening when I insert / rebuild the terminal from the terminal editor? This was working correctly before, and has stopped just recently, but I don't have a reason why.

Any help offered would be appreciated, thank you.

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
dougmcalexander
in reply to: ZekeZ

There is much confusion with regard to item numbering in Electrical.  The schematic item number field is left over from the earlier versions, before the program had the intelligent panel layout function.  It is true that the schematic item number assignments can feed forward to the panel layout, but there is no practical and fully-functional link between the panel item number field and the schematic item number field, thus changes made on the panel layout side do not back-annotate to their schematic equivalent symbols.  I wish Autodesk would modify the code so the item number re-sequence utility will update all item number attributes for related components so they match (i.e. schematic, panel, one-line, pneumatics/hydraulics/P&ID), thus extending the automated alphabetical item number assignment to all drawings in a project, not just panel layout drawings.

Version 2011 introduced the ability to auto-assign the item numbers to the panel layout footprints in alphabetical order, by manufacturer name, saving much time and headaches.  I've been using the program since 1997 and I never generate a panel BOM and include schematic elements.  This is a crutch intended for those who call out hardware items in their schematic only.  I may add such hardware components as Flex I/O terminal boards, relay bases and clips, screws, washers, the panel box itself, and other hardware as Multiple Catalog entries, but they transfer to the panel footprint symbol when I insert the footprints from the schematic list.  I use the DIN rail and wireway generator from the Panel Layout menu so they are dynamically inserted and added to the BOM.  I even include the warning labels, since they are a purchased item.  For parts that do require a footprint, such as tape, wire number blanks, etc., I insert a generic marker, the non-graphic intelligent footprint that displays MFG and CAT only, but can include an ITEM number and is included on the BOM.  I then generate a panel BOM only, which will include all component footprints I inserted from the schematic list, plus hardware. 

This method is the cleanest and is perfectly accurate.  It is best not to mix a BOM with schematic and panel elements.  I only generate a schematic BOM for a design review or to order long-lead items.  My final BOM is a panel BOM.  Wait until you get to panel layout to assign item numbers and let the software do it for you in alphabetical order by manufacturer.  This saves much time and your purchasing agent will see all the parts from each manufacturer together on the list.

I only wish Electrical would back-annotate the schematic ITEM number fields with the assignments made from the Resequence Item Numbers utility on the panel layout menu.  Once I run the Resequence Item Numbers utility, so my BOM lists the vendors in alphabetical order (or an alternate preferred order), the schematic item numbers will no longer match the panel layout item numbers/balloons.

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Phone and Web-based Support Plans Available

Phone: (770) 841-8009

www.linkedin.com/in/doug-mcalexander-1a77623

Please Accept as Solution if I helped you. Likes are also much appreciated.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost