AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Terminal Jumpers

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
bholle
1751 Views, 7 Replies

Terminal Jumpers

I am currently trying to find out another to show jumpers between terminals.  Currently we have our terminal strips laid out and have a jumper report next to the terminals.  Attached is an example of one of the ways that we are showing jumpers, the other is to just have the text, but we can only do this if the customer allows more than one wire per terminal.  What I am looking for is a way to show a graphical representation of the jumper comb or internal jumper, this has come after a customer request to show a representation of a jumper.  Also I was wondering how other people are showing jumpers, if they are just using the table of have another way of doing it.  Any info would be helpful.  Thanks in advance.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
rcreel
in reply to: bholle

I am using Doug  McAlexander's method  (ecadconsultant.com) look in the tips section under "power bus".

This method takes care of the schematic and panel layout.

Message 3 of 8
bholle
in reply to: rcreel

Thanks for the info.  However I have already come across this while doing research on the matter and deemed this not to be a viable solution.  Our internal jumpers are almost never a set distance all of the time, I would have to create a block for every jumper from 2 to about 20.  The other problem is that we do power distribution across fused disconnects, Weidmuller ASK1, and lever disconnects, Weidmuller SAKR type.  Both of these will only allow for an external jumper comb.  I may just have to look in to doing a parametric block for a solution. Again thanks for the info on this.

Message 4 of 8
Icemanau

Have you spoken to your Weidmuller rep. I managed to get a CD with cad dwgs for most of their terminal blocks and accessories from our rep. I just added the appropriate attributes to the blocks as I used them.

We tend to use the screw in jumpers here but the push in ones should be easy to do, no matter whatever the length.

At the first jumpered terminal, insert a jumper block that includes all the attributes to make it part of the project. the rest of the jumper length could be indicated with two 'dumb' (No attributes) blocks repeated as needed. One for the pin in place and one for the pin cut off.

It's a little bit cumbersome but a lot quicker than having to do a custom block for each full jumper and a lot easier than having to redo a parametric insert if the client wants to change something..

Regards Brad

Icemanau (NNTP handle: Brad Coleman
AutoCAD Electrical User and IT Hardware Support

Message 5 of 8
dougmcalexander

I actually have footprints for each type of jumper, screw in type, comb, etc..  You  create them like you would any footprint.  Mine are unique according to the manufacturer they represent.  I pre-load the MFG and CAT so when I insert the jumper it is automatically added to the BOM without the need for a Lookup. 

Hint: I also added icons to my panel menu so I can insert the jumpers using the icon menu.

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Phone and Web-based Support Plans Available

Phone: (770) 841-8009

www.linkedin.com/in/doug-mcalexander-1a77623

Please Accept as Solution if I helped you. Likes are also much appreciated.
Message 6 of 8
bholle
in reply to: dougmcalexander

Thanks for all of the info on this.  I ended up with a dynamic block that arraied in the y axis and patterned when you dragged it down.  Also included a flip and just copied and modified it to work with all of the variables that we use.

Message 7 of 8
dmanson

Can you post the dynamic block you created?

Message 8 of 8
jseefdrumr
in reply to: dmanson

I think it's important to add that dynamic blocks don't always function how you'd expect in ACADE. They seem to work just fine as ACAD objects but not as ACADE objects, meaning you may not see them in certain reports - like a BOM. So, I wouldn't recommend this unless you plan on not putting attributes in there. If it's necessary to include the data (not just the graphics), then try this workaround:

In the panel layout, I would insert a 'one-off' footprint, the kind where you draw a footprint's shape right in the middle of the command, and which will hold the part number for the jumper comb. Since these jumpers go on terminal blocks, and all terminal blocks should have wipeouts, I would then draworder the one-off footprint to the back of everything. This way, it's hidden by the terminal blocks, and I now have brought the jumper's catalog info into the drawing so that it appears when I run my BOM report.

After that is where the dynamic block comes into play. For this purpose, I would create one that gets placed on its first terminal, then gets stretched out to one direction or the other.

While I admit to not having done much with dynamic blocks in ACADE for quite a while, I'm pretty certain that what I've said still applies: dynamic blocks might not appear in some reports, and may not get updated during retags and other project or drawing-wide commands.

Hope this helps,

Jim Seefeldt
Electrical Engineering Technician

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost