AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tagnames and the "%D" drawing value

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
JCard
1163 Views, 4 Replies

Tagnames and the "%D" drawing value

I have a question regarding the setup of titleblock attributes and how they relate to component tagging....

History information:

Customer requires title block information to have a unique drawing number per drawing, sequential sheet value and a sheetmax value, along with the other typical title block attributes.  Also their component tagging and wire numbering requirements have the drawing number as part of the tagging; (101DRV01, where the drawing # = 101, component family = DRV, and the sequential component number = 01, 02, etc. on that drawing).  The sheet & sheetmax values they want is to just count the sheets sequentially and display that values as "Sheet: 1 of 10" for example.

Is it possible to use the %D value (for drawing) in the Component Tagging and Sequential Component Tag Formatting and still be able to use the resequence, retagging & updating utilities without much LISP or Scripting?  Example: "%D%F%N".

Would there be any issues if a project wide resequencing was required?

Is the %D value able to be incremented?  (I do not see that option in the Project Update/Retag options, like you can on the %S value).

I am thinking that the Sheet (%S value) would be better suited to use in the Tagname since the relationship between the sheet and the ladder referencing and component placement is able to be resequenced/retagged if required or incremented. 

How would an X-Y grid referencing impact this possiblity?

What other issues could arise?

Any insight is appreciated to this inquiry.

Thanks,

JCard
Electrical Designer
Logical Systems, LLC
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
jalger
in reply to: JCard

Hi Jcard,

Would there be any issues if a project wide resequencing was required?

You can use the %D value without any issues in a project wide update / retag.

If there is no value for %D in the Drawing it updates then you get a Blank space.

Is the %D value able to be incremented? 

Not without a script or some programming.

if you want something that will easily increment use the %S (Sheet) value.

How would an X-Y grid referencing impact this possibility?

The X-Y Grid Referencing uses the %N, so it would stop working if you switched to Sequential numbering.

%N flips switches and does a lot of things depending on the settings you have.

If you have Line Referencing on and Rung Ref on in the options then %N pulls out the Line ref from the ladder

( and adds the unique char as required, so it adds A,B,C or 1,2,3 at the end of the Value pulled from the Ladder)

If you have Sequential on and Rung Ref on in the options, then %N is taken from the Sequential number.

(sometimes people think its replaced entirely but the fields in the project file show that is subbed in).

What other issues could arise?

Not sure, it could run smoothly with no errors.

If you have repeating sheet numbers (like you would with sections and sub section drawings),

then you may need to add an additional Parameter, to keep the values unique.

%N Reference number

%F Family Code

%D Drawing Code

%S Sheet Number

%P Project Code

%I Installation Code

%L Location Code

%A Section Code

%B Sub Section Code

I hope this helps,

James Alger
(I'm on several hundred posts as "algerj")

Work:
Dell Precision 5530 (Xeon E 2176M)
1tb SSD, 64GB RAM
Nvidia Quadro P2000, Win10
Message 3 of 5
mikegera
in reply to: jalger

Not to hijack this thread, but is there a complete list somewhere of *all* the "percent" operators?
Message 4 of 5
JCard
in reply to: mikegera

Yes,

Check out "Using Replaceable Parameters" in the help files (Users Guide).

JCard
Electrical Designer
Logical Systems, LLC
Message 5 of 5
JCard
in reply to: jalger

Thank you for the tips and information.

I am taking these under consideration and investingating further at this time.

JCard
Electrical Designer
Logical Systems, LLC

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost