AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Symbol Libraries and Custom Symbol Libraries

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
Junki3JJC
3641 Views, 4 Replies

Symbol Libraries and Custom Symbol Libraries

Hi all,

Just looking for a bit of help on the symbol library aspect of ACADE.

Here's a scenario: you create a drawing, say, with IEC symbol libraries, put symbols in it and save it. You then send it to a colleague who works with ANSI or GOST libraries. Is he then able to open and edit the drawing, and does he need the IEC symbol library to open it or does he only need it to add in more IEC symbols if required? Basically what I'm trying to get at is if you work across different regions, are you required to have all libraries installed to view/edit drawings or not.

I'm also wondering about creation of a custom symbol library (say for our company), and again how this would be affected for everyone (i.e. would everyone need an up-to-date copy of the library on their system).

A final part of the question to follow on from that - in relation to any answer to the above, how exactly does ACADE reference symbols etc., is it stored in the .wdp project file, in each individual .DWG...?

Thanks very much for the help in advance!

John

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
mathalekar
in reply to: Junki3JJC

Hello John,

The drawings created with standards (in your case IEC) can be shared and opened by your colleague without any problem. Make sure you share entire project directory along with WDP file to open at your colleague's end. However if your colleague needs to modify / add the drawings will require libraries that you worked on. AutoCAD Electrical provides comprehensive standards libraries which are available in installer.

Symbol libraries are nothing but special drawing (DWG) files or block with special attributes which works with AutoCAD Electrical features.

Every standard (IEC / JIC / NFPA etc) have a DAT file which helps to pick the right symbol from library folders. When you create a project, you specfy the symbol libraries dependending upon standard you select in project properties along with DAT file to be used for symbol insertion use.

You can refer our demo projects to see the mapping of the project properties for symbol libraries & assignment of DAT file depending upon standard you select.

Every DAT file can be customized as well as custom created symbols can be mapped in DAT file using in product feature.

Message 3 of 5
Junki3JJC
in reply to: mathalekar

Wow, thanks for the quick response!

Yeah I thought that'd be the case (no libraries required to open, but libraries required to edit) which is fine.

So really to manage a custom library all that would be required is the .DAT file and the associated custom symbols? I will need to have a proper look at the demo projects also!

Final quick question before I accept the solution - you're saying there's an in product feature. Is this the Icon Menu Wizard, then selecting the relevant .DAT and then adding the symbols in here using the toolbar at the top right of the popup window?

Thanks very much for your help, it's really appreciated!

John

Message 4 of 5
mathalekar
in reply to: Junki3JJC

Hello John,

Icon menu wizard it is ! This is something which (i believe) is simpler way to integrate custom symbols in Icon Menu. Ofcourse if you very familier with symbol naming, then there is a browse button in Icon menu that also helps to insert a symbol in drawing. Some advanced user use editing of DAT files & customizing for their own made symbol use.

In short, if you are heavily going to create custom symbols or want to make a custom symbol library, you can consolidate your own category / combine with existing category etc. AutoCAD Electrical expects to have proper inclusion of paths in project properties / DAT files & correct use of standards which by which you can make use of custom symbols. Usually users will master the consolidation of symbol handling as they start working on it. Recommend to go through DAT file (it is a text file and can be opened on notepad / notepad++) to get a better understanding of mapping and use of symbols.

I am suggesting to have a look at the AutoCAD Electrical Demo set properties for understanding the mapping of standards libraries, inclusion of DAT files in project properties etc to have a general idea. This broadly will give you how you can work integrate the custom symbols & their paths etc to make use in the project.

Message 5 of 5
Junki3JJC
in reply to: mathalekar

Great! Thanks very much again for your help! 🙂 I'll definitely need to try using the Icon Menu Wizard and play about with the .DAT file to see how it works!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost