AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Symbol Builder Tool

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
Warchild214
190 Views, 3 Replies

Symbol Builder Tool

Im wondering if can you take an existing built symbol (i.e Input Card) and add another wire connection point to it and have it reconize it as a wire connection.

This is how I tried it and it doesnt work. I brought in an input card, used "refedit" to open it, clicked "symbol builder" and slected "Parent", then selected "wire connection" and added two more wire connection points, then selected "save changes" on refedit. When I refedit the card again the wire connections are shown (text form). When I try to insert a wire and snap to these new connections it defaults to one of the main terminals?

I just didnt want to have rebuild the entire input card from scratch, I just want to add a few extra wire connection points so I can reference them to another dwg. Is there a way to do it?

Thanks in advance for replies
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: Warchild214

I've found it's easier to explode the block in question and then use the
symbol builder to add the new wire connections.

you can then wblock it as the original name or a new name. Then you either
have to purge the block from the dwg (if there's no
other instances of it in the dwg) or update the existing blocks to the new
version..

Regards

wrote in message news:5767200@discussion.autodesk.com...
Im wondering if can you take an existing built symbol (i.e Input Card) and
add another wire connection point to it and have it reconize it as a wire
connection.

This is how I tried it and it doesnt work. I brought in an input card, used
"refedit" to open it, clicked "symbol builder" and slected "Parent", then
selected "wire connection" and added two more wire connection points, then
selected "save changes" on refedit. When I refedit the card again the wire
connections are shown (text form). When I try to insert a wire and snap to
these new connections it defaults to one of the main terminals?

I just didnt want to have rebuild the entire input card from scratch, I just
want to add a few extra wire connection points so I can reference them to
another dwg. Is there a way to do it?

Thanks in advance for replies
Message 3 of 4
sgsawdy

Having gone through a similar situation, I found the easiest way to do it is to simply use the Add Attribute function on the Edit Attributes fly out. Using this method, I simply added the necessary X#Term as an invisible attribute where I wanted the wire to terminate and voila, I now have a wire connection.

Of course, the new wire connection is only good on that one instance of the symbol block, but, it was quicker than trying to edit the entire block or rebuild it.

Scott
Message 4 of 4
userlevel6

I'm responsible for keeping our symbol library updated.
My method for this situation has been to use REFEDIT, make necessary changes, including using the Symbol Builder, but NOT using the Block or Wblock functions in it; use it only for quicker access to the building blocks.
Then I use REFCLOSE, save changes, use WBLOCK to write the new definition out to disk, then use the Swap Block/ Update Block/ Library Swap tool to select and replace the block with a new copy (this step is to get new attributes placed properly.) I find this to be the quickest way to permananently affect block definitions. The Add Attribute function is nice for one-offs, but I generally need something that's more permanently re-usable.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost