AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Symbol Builder Defaults

12 REPLIES 12
SOLVED
Message 1 of 13
amh90hewitt
1596 Views, 12 Replies

Symbol Builder Defaults

Hello All,

Is there a way to default the place Symbol Builder looks when you are browsing for Symbols to edit? Attached is a photo of the area I am talking about. It is the browsing button you see when you first click on symbol builder. It is defaulted to the jic125 folder on my C drive. I need it to look onto the network in our custom library file structure (just to save some time and not have to repeatedly search for this file).

Thanks,

Aaron

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13

I usually edit my symbols by opening the file directly by double-clicking. But Symbol Builder generally looks at the active symbol library folder, the one assigned to the project you have active.  Be sure that the path to your custom folder is at the top of the assigned library folders for the active project.

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Phone and Web-based Support Plans Available

Phone: (770) 841-8009

www.linkedin.com/in/doug-mcalexander-1a77623

Please Accept as Solution if I helped you. Likes are also much appreciated.
Message 3 of 13
sonny3g
in reply to: amh90hewitt

Aaron,  I would try looking here in your wd.env file.  Change the red text line to point to the directory you want as the default and remove the asterisk in front of that line.  This should do what you are asking for.

************************************************************************************

* Symbol Insertion and Library Paths

************************************************************************************

WD_LIB,%SL_DIR%/jic125;%SL_DIR%/jic125/1-;%SL_DIR%/pneu_iso125;%SL_DIR%/pid;%SL_DIR%/hyd_iso125, schem, 1-line, and pneumatic/pid/hydraulic default paths

WD_PNL,%SL_DIR%/panel, panel layout symbol library base folder

*WD_CIRCBUILDER_FNAM,"ace_circuit_builder.xls",Circuit Builder spreadsheet file name

*WD_INSCOMPDLG,x:/some path/,to override starting path for INS SCHEM COMP browse button

*WD_INSFPDLG,x:/some path/,to override starting path for INS PNL COMP browse button

*WD_INSCKTDLG,x:/some path/,to override starting path for INS CKT file selection dialog

*WD_WBLOCKDLG,x:/some path/,to override starting subdir for Black Box Bldr WBlock option

*WD_PICKLIST,%WD_DIR%/catalogs/wd_picklist.mdb,ins component from catalog list file

*WD_USERCKTDIR,x:/some path/,default folder for "USER CKTS"

*PLC_ADDRESS_FORMAT,I:00%10%2;I:%1%2/00;--;O:00%10%2;O:%1%2/00;--;,default PLC address formats for "Quick pick"

Scott G. Sawdy
scott.sawdy@bluecoyotecad.com
Message 4 of 13

You mean this?

Message 5 of 13
amh90hewitt
in reply to: sonny3g

That directory already has something in it

Message 6 of 13
sonny3g

Yes, the value you have in your .png shows the default directory as represented by the variable %SL_DIR%.  See below.

* %SL_DIR% = base folder for "Libs" symbol library subfolder
*            (example "c:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\Autodesk\Acade 2010\Libs\")
*            (corresponds with global GBL_WD_BASELIBS)

If you want it to look somewhere else then do not use %SL_DIR%, replace it with the desired target directory.

Scott G. Sawdy
Message 7 of 13
amh90hewitt

It did not work. I adjusted that line to the correct file path and I get the same result.

Message 8 of 13
sonny3g

Sorry, try changing this line instead:

*WD_INSCOMPDLG,x:/some path/,to override starting path for INS SCHEM COMP browse button

The one I told you before is for the black box builder default.

Scott G. Sawdy
Message 9 of 13
amh90hewitt

It was a no go.

I appreciate all your suggestions and help sonny3g. Thank you a lot.

Message 10 of 13

I hope I understand your objective correctly.  If you want the Browse buttons in the new Symbol Builder to default to your custom symbols folder, you need to be sure there are attribute template files in that folder.  The software goes to the first folder in the library list for the active project, and looks for attribute template files.  If none are found, it moves to the second folder in the list.  If you copy the attribute template files from on of the Autodesk library folders and paste them into your custom symbols folder (i.e. NFPA to Custom Symbols), and place this Custom Symbols folder first in the Project Properties library assignment list, Symbol Builder will always default to this folder.  See attached screen capture.

Note: The netwok path to your Custom Symbols folder must be accessible or the software will continue searching the library list.

In case you aren't familiar with attribute templates, these are the files/blocks that Symbol Builder merges into your new symbol/block to provide you with the appropriate attributes for the type of symbol you selected to create.  The files start with AT_ and there is a set for each library you choose when you install AutoCAD Electrical.  For example, AT_HC_CB.dwg is the Attribute Template for a Horizontally-wired, Child Circuit Breaker.

Hint: The entry in the wd.env file that you were advised about by sonny3g is necessary as well.  This determines the default location to save a new symbol to:

WD_WBLOCKDLG,%SL_DIR%/Custom Symbols/,to override starting subdir for Black Box Bldr WBlock option

There is another line that controls which folder opens when you click the Browse button at the bottom middle of the Insert Component dialog, in case you haven't added all custom symbols to the menu and need to insert them by selecting the file.  I usually set mine to my Custom Symbols folder.

WD_INSCOMPDLG,%SL_DIR%/Custom Symbols/,to override starting path for INS SCHEM COMP browse button

Be sure to remove the asterisks or the line is commented out.

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Phone and Web-based Support Plans Available

Phone: (770) 841-8009

www.linkedin.com/in/doug-mcalexander-1a77623

Please Accept as Solution if I helped you. Likes are also much appreciated.
Message 11 of 13

Thank you Doug!

That is everything I needed to be done. This was a big help. Your posts are very informative.

Thank you to sonny3g for your help also!

Message 12 of 13
sonny3g

Your welcome, but really, Doug is THE MAN! Smiley Happy

Scott G. Sawdy
Message 13 of 13
amh90hewitt

That statement can not be denied!Smiley Tongue

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost