AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Symbol Alignment with Wire

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
Anonymous
343 Views, 3 Replies

Symbol Alignment with Wire

Hi,

My use of Autocad Electrical began earlier this week.

I have encountered a problem where my custom symbols made in separate .dwg
files do not lay exactly on the wire when I insert them using Insert
Component. Using my mouse, I locate the block image so that the 2 (1 left
and 1 right) wire terminals in my symbol lie precisely on the wire. When I
click the mouse button, however, the symbol block I am inserting shifts up a
pixel or two, depending how closely I am zoomed. This occurs whether or not
SNAP is activated. Apparently, the insertion is otherwise working properly
as it breaks the wire.

I believe I am using the necessary attributes. Furthermore, this problem
occurs only with some of my custom symbols. All of my symbols use an
insertion point of x = 0, y = 0, and z = 0, which is at the precise center
of my wire terminals.

Any advice with this problem would be greatly appreciated. One of my
problem symbols is attached so it may be inspected and tested.

Thanks,
Andrew

P.S. I read Lint's response to the 11/25/2003 posting entitled "Create new
item." In it, he advised that the WD_M block not be inserted on our
symbols. As I understand it, this WD_M block is invisible. How do I
determine if it is on my symbol, and if so, how do I get rid of it?

Attachment not added (too large): "HPB1_PRNTmPushBtnNC.dwg"
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
MartinLee
in reply to: Anonymous

Several years ago, when the product was known as Cimlogic Toolbox WD, there was something about having a symbol's insert point NOT being on a wirecut point. It sounds like you may have your insert point near a wirecut. All of our custom symgols (we have hundreds) have been build with the insert point near the center of the geometry, for instance a pushbutton's insert point is centered between the left and right wirecut points. I don't know if all this is still true, but none of our symbols cause problems. Hope this helps.

Martin
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous

Andrew, AcadE automatically tries to align the inserted symbol in line with the insertion points of the wire connection attributes X4TERM01 and X1TERM01 (for a 2-wire device) so that tese align with the underlying wire. If the XY coordinates of these attributes are not sitting on Y=0.0, then you'll probably see a problem like you describe. Check it out. Make sure these invisible attributes are "Left" justified and at the exact point where the wire is to touch the device. Nate. "Andrew Fenton" wrote in message news:4022ad1d_2@newsprd01... > Hi, > > My use of Autocad Electrical began earlier this week. > > I have encountered a problem where my custom symbols made in separate .dwg > files do not lay exactly on the wire when I insert them using Insert > Component. Using my mouse, I locate the block image so that the 2 (1 left > and 1 right) wire terminals in my symbol lie precisely on the wire. When I > click the mouse button, however, the symbol block I am inserting shifts up a > pixel or two, depending how closely I am zoomed. This occurs whether or not > SNAP is activated. Apparently, the insertion is otherwise working properly > as it breaks the wire. > > I believe I am using the necessary attributes. Furthermore, this problem > occurs only with some of my custom symbols. All of my symbols use an > insertion point of x = 0, y = 0, and z = 0, which is at the precise center > of my wire terminals. > > Any advice with this problem would be greatly appreciated. One of my > problem symbols is attached so it may be inspected and tested. > > Thanks, > Andrew > > P.S. I read Lint's response to the 11/25/2003 posting entitled "Create new > item." In it, he advised that the WD_M block not be inserted on our > symbols. As I understand it, this WD_M block is invisible. How do I > determine if it is on my symbol, and if so, how do I get rid of it? > > >
Message 4 of 4
Anonymous

Martin, Nate, Thanks to both of you for your suggestions. Apparently, the problem was my justification of the X?TERMn attributes. As soon as I set them to Left justification, SHAZAAM!, their terminals snapped precisely to the wire. When I was originally setting up my custom symbols, I thought they would look better if the X?TERMn attributes were as symetrically justified as possible. Foolish mortal! I should have recognized that even when the anchor point for Middle Left or Middle Right appeared, the Left justify anchor remains in its position with respect to the attribute tag. Thus, when I was placing my components, the program was aligning the new component to the Left justify anchors, which, given my Middle Right or Left alignments, made the symbol appear above the wire to which it was connected. Superb! Thanks again. Andrew Fenton

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost