AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switching between Symbol Libraries Command (Custom and default)

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
Junki3JJC
798 Views, 7 Replies

Switching between Symbol Libraries Command (Custom and default)

Hi folks,

Quick question about the command seen here for switching between symbol libraries:

(c:wd_loadmenu "Custom_Menu.dat")(c:wd_insym_go2menu 0)

which gets added to the icon menu. I know that the naming of the .DAT file has to match obviously, but the thing I can't get to work is if I have my default symbol library (let's say IEC) on my computer, but a custom symbol library on the network which I would want everyone to be able to access (let's say a folder on my mapped F: drive). In this case, the above command doesn't work. I've tried changing the first part of the command to:

(f:wd_loadmenu "Custom_Menu.dat")

incase the initial "c" was determining file location.

In short - I want to be able to switch between the default local symbol libraries, and a custom library on the network.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance! 🙂

John

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
dougmcalexander
in reply to: Junki3JJC

John, I usually set the default path in the wd.env file to my preferred library and menu path.  Then all I have to do is click the Default button in Project Properties to automatically assign the menus and libraries.

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Phone and Web-based Support Plans Available

Phone: (770) 841-8009

www.linkedin.com/in/doug-mcalexander-1a77623

Please Accept as Solution if I helped you. Likes are also much appreciated.
Message 3 of 8
Junki3JJC
in reply to: dougmcalexander

Hi Doug,

Thanks for the response, but it's not entirely what I'm looking for.

I'm still looking to have the functionality to switch between the different "Icon Menu" files - one being a default library, then a custom "company" one on the network. Apologies if I worded this wrong before and confused.

I've set up as in the previous example above, and I get errors when trying to switch to the network file.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

John

Message 4 of 8
Junki3JJC

Further info for anyone reading this, I'm basically just trying to follow this, but make it work for a .dat icon file on the network:

Icon File Tutorial

Message 5 of 8
dougmcalexander

Try placing all menus on the network, so they all reside in the same folder. Be sure to include the network path in the WD.env file. There is a line in the environment file that redirects the location AutoCAD Electrical searches for menus.  Be sure to remove the asterisk from the line in order to activate the option.

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Message 6 of 8
sonny3g

I think your problem may be putting the f: where you need it to be c:.  That does not indicate drive but rather that it is a function.  You would use f: inside the "Custom_Menu.dat" to indicate drive where the .dat file resides.

Hope this helps.

Scott

Scott G. Sawdy
scott.sawdy@bluecoyotecad.com
Message 7 of 8
dougmcalexander
in reply to: sonny3g

Scott is right.  I didn't catch that.  The c: is a command call, not a path.  Good eye Scott.

Doug McAlexander

Message 8 of 8
Junki3JJC
in reply to: sonny3g

Thanks folks - managed to get it working using that point! Also had to use escape characters to get the pathname correct... incase anyone was wondering, my working command now looks like:

(c:wd_loadmenu "\\\\elmarnt\\PC_APPS\\engineer\\AutoCAD Electrical\\ELMAR_MENU.dat")(c:wd_insym_go2menu 0)

Double backslashes being the escape characters.

Thanks again folks! 🙂

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost