AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Swap/Update Block for PLC I/O

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
superdaveyk
1613 Views, 8 Replies

Swap/Update Block for PLC I/O

Hi.

I'm new to the Forums and New to AutoCad Electrical so please have pity.

I am having trouble with the Swap/Update block utility when trying to Change PLC I/O.  We currently use Siemens PLC's but are planning to swap to Allen Bradley in the future. I understand that i should be able to use the Swap/Update block utility to change them on the DWG's. However, when i try to Update/Swap I navigate through the icon Menu to PLC Modules, but when i click on the icon, it closes the Utility and back to my drawing ???  If i try to type the Module part number in the icon menu, i get the error, FILE NOT FOUND and the a list of the libraries it has looked through.   This list includes the PLC library folder.

Any help would be highly appreciated.

Kind Regards

Dave

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Icemanau
in reply to: superdaveyk

I haven't had much to do with the PLC side but I believe that PLC blocks are built up by ACADE depending on what module you select, your wire spacing and so on. This means there are no blocks for ACADE to us to swap with.

I'm not sure on how to work around this. Hopefully someone who uses the PLC side a lot will be able to help more.

Regards Brad

Icemanau (NNTP handle: Brad Coleman
AutoCAD Electrical User and IT Hardware Support

Message 3 of 9
caddude1

Dave,

It sounds like AutoCAD is looking for a file in the library drawing path that was set at installation, and is not finding the requested file. You could check to see that the path specified in the default settings actually has the files located there as a first step. Does this error occur when doing a basic insertion of a symbol as well?

Mark Behrens
Autodesk Expert Elite
Controls Designer/CAD Manager
38 year AutoCAD user | AutoCAD Electrical user
Message 4 of 9
superdaveyk
in reply to: caddude1

Hi Caddude1

Thanks for your reply. No. If i insert, say a light or relay and use the swap function it works fine. It only seems to be when i try to swap a PLC module out.  I have tried to re-install Autocad and also done a fresh install on a new machine.  Still it does not work.  It seems to be some setup issue between Autocad and the PLC_I/O database file.  It would be a great help to get this sorted out, as I am having to swap the out manually, and i still have another 223 drawings to process.

Kind Regards

Dave

Message 5 of 9
testsubject

I am wondering if you used the PLC Parametric Build for you PLCs. If so, those are not swappable. As far as I know, only fixed units are swappable and your wires might not line up correctly due to the differences in the models. Maybe Doug could chime in.

Bob

Bob Hanrahan
Ace User since 1998
If this answered your question, please click on "Accept Solution"
Message 6 of 9
superdaveyk
in reply to: testsubject

Thanks for the reply.

I didn't use the insert parametric build plc option but rather inserted the plc i/o modules from the insert symbol pick list.

( I.E )  Schematic > Icon menu > PLCIO > PLCIO Modules. From here I choose my module that i want to insert ( input or output module ) and insert it into a blank drawing.  If I then select to Swap/Update block, I get the problem I describe in my intitial post.

Not wanting to sound like a winjer, but this is a new job i have started,and i'm still on probation. So this means quite alot to get this fixed. Any help would be much appreciated. I'm doubting myself more and more everyday whether Autocad is the option i would go for in the future. As much as I like the software, i'm not aware of any support line you can call to ask questions.  This makes life very difficult and I find troubleshooting quite time consuming.

( Rant Over !! )

Thankyou for any suggestions / solutions in advance

Dave

Message 7 of 9
testsubject

Dave,

There is a support line but it will cost you. I am not sure of the cost.

The vendor wants you (as a customer) to pay for the training that they provide. Everyone wants to get paid... 😉 I did not pay for the service but it took me many months of trial and error to teach myself how to properly use the software. I think if I was starting over again, I would take the week long training course to get a jumpstart on how best to use the software.

As far as your PLC build, using PLC Modules is the parametric build. Each PLC module is built on the fly based on a set of parameters stored in the database. That is why you are unable to find the PLC module to swap out. It does not exist.

Think of this way, the 16 point Input module from Allen Bradley is configured differently than the one from Automation Direct. The module is built based on how the physical device is built. So the input (output) wires would be in different locations for each configuration.

I think the only way to do this is to delete the original module and build the new module.

I realize that this is not the answer you were looking for.

Sorry I could not be more help,

Bob Hanrahan

Bob Hanrahan
Ace User since 1998
Message 8 of 9
superdaveyk
in reply to: testsubject

Hi Bob.

Thanks for your prompt reply.  It is and isn't the answer i was looking for.  I suppose what you say makes sense if it builds the units on the fly, using a basic set of parameters. At least now i know i'm A) doing the right thing by re-building the I/O modules and B) It makes the job time consuming.

Either way thanks for setting the record straight.  I very much appreciate you taking the time to help.

Kind Regards

Dave

Message 9 of 9
testsubject

You're welcome.

That is why a site like this is so important.

Users helping users.

Bob Hanrahan
Ace User since 1998

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost