AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Support File Search Path Update

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
amh90hewitt
1177 Views, 4 Replies

Support File Search Path Update

Good Afternoon Everyone,

The company I work for has 8 employees who work with ACADE 2015 all day. Another individual and myself are in charge of maintaining the ACADE structure so it is up to our standards. Recently we ran into the issue of not having the ability to share a mutual PLC database. We have since pushed a mutual PLC database onto our network for everyone to access. In order for anyone to access it, the support file search path needed to be updated so that we search for the network based database before the one on our local drive. Grant it that we only have 8 computers to update but is there a way to update everyone's computer at the sametime? I rather not have to go to everyone's computer and add the file path to the list. Is there something in wd.env file (we will have to push it onto everyone's computer but the IT department can set us up with software to do that)? I was unable to see anything that would allow for this but I don't understand the full capabilities of the WD.env file.

Thank you in advance,

Aaron

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

The easiest way to share the project data and databases is to move the AeData folder to your network and place this path at the top of the Support File Search Path.  It will also be necessary to delete, or preferably rename, the local AeData folder so each computer is forced to use the network path.  If AutoCAD Electrical finds the local AeData folder still present, it will default to it, even if you have redirected it in the Support File Search Path.  When you follow this method, everyone will share the same wd.env file, so as an administrator you only need to make changes in one place and everyone benefits from it simultaneously.  

So yes, you will need to set the Support File Search Path, and rename or remove the local AeData folder once per computer, but then you're done.  I usually rename the local AeData folder to AeData_local, so it is clear to anyone who stumbles across this folder that they are rerouted to the network.  I’m sorry but there really isn’t a quicker way to do this.  The other option can take longer. 

Using the aforementioned method, your designers will all share the same catalog database, PLC database, footprint lookup database, schematic lookup database, language database, electrical standards database, and even the spreadsheet that drives the DIN rail and wireway generator.

Optionally you can choose to share report format files, menu files, and symbol libraries.  You can simply point your projects to the new symbol and menu paths manually, or define the new paths as the defaults in the wd.env file.  There is also a line in the wd.env file to redirect the default folder for report format files.

You can change the default folder for templates in the Support File Search Path, just like you would with plain AutoCAD.

The methods I have outlined here are exactly what I do as part of my 3-day startup assistance program, where I go on site to a customer's facility and help them set up everything from the template to the network scheme and report generators, so this is a proven method.

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Phone and Web-based Support Plans Available

Phone: (770) 841-8009

www.linkedin.com/in/doug-mcalexander-1a77623

Please Accept as Solution if I helped you. Likes are also much appreciated.
Message 3 of 5

Thanks!

BTW, you have an email I can contact you at to discuss possible training at our facility?

Message 4 of 5

The e-mail address is: ECADconsultant@gmail.com

There are e-mail links at the bottom of each page at www.ECADconsultant.com.

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Phone and Web-based Support Plans Available

Phone: (770) 841-8009

www.linkedin.com/in/doug-mcalexander-1a77623

Please Accept as Solution if I helped you. Likes are also much appreciated.
Message 5 of 5

Email sent. We shall continue this conversation through email. Thanks!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost