AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Super Project Manager [SPM]

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
rob
Participant
1927 Views, 12 Replies

Super Project Manager [SPM]

Hi,

I would just like to add some feedback regarding a recent purchase i made of the Super Project Manager (SPM) from Doug McAlexander at www.ecadconsultant.com

The software has proved to be a fantastic investment, and the benefits it now introduces on larger projects is immeasurable!  We have recently started manufacturing multi-bay sytems and, as a result, the drawings now need to have a far greater level of project structure and flexibility - made very easy by SPM!

Highly recommended!

Regards,

Rob

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
Pertech-LLC
in reply to: rob

Interesting.

Does this keep seperate project databases for each sub project?

IE: It would be nice to group a few current projects into one "Super Project" to run reports such as component tags, drawing lists, etc.

Message 3 of 13
rob
Participant

Hi,

When you create each sub project, it also creates its own WDP allowing individual project settings/title block info for each sub set of drawings.  I am finding it very useful at the moment for having several different component prefixes for each cubicle of a multi-compartment system.  The wire numbers and component references can then be set up individually within each sub projects properties area.

Still getting to grips with it conceptually - but so far very impressed!

Hope this helps.

Rob

Message 4 of 13

There is a separate project "scratch" database for each sub-project because each sub-project has its own project definition (projectname.WDP) file.  But remember that the project "scratch" databases AutoCAD Electrical creates are only slaves of the drawings, not the other way around.  These databases are mainly used to expedite processes within AutoCAD Electrical.  In fact, they can be deleted without damaging your project, since the drawing data is stored inside of the drawing (.DWG) files themselves.  To prove this exit AutoCAD Electrical and delete the projectname.mdb file(s) from your User subfolder.  Start AutoCAD Electrical again and it will create a new projectname.mdb file for each project you activate.  This is actually a healthy exercise to perform from time to time as you work on a project. 

You could create a master or "super" project and add the drawings from the various projects to collect all of their drawing data into one project "scratch" database.  Be advised however that you run the risk of component tag duplication errors, wire number duplication errors, etc. if any of these projects have tags or wire numbers that match.

Note: AutoCAD Electrical has always allowed us to reference drawings from other projects or folders into any project, making it possible to update the same drawings from multiple projects.  For example, let's say you have a legend sheet that should be referenced by every project.  You do not need to put the same legend sheet in each project folder.  Just create the legend sheet and store it in a common folder/repository.  Right-click on a project in the Project Manager and choose Add Drawings.  Navigate to the folder containing the legend sheet drawing and add it to the project.  Anytime the legend sheet is updated, the changes will appear in each project that includes this same legend sheet. In the case of a legend sheet it is advisable to set it as a "For Reference Only" drawing so none of the projects add data from this page to their "scratch" database.

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Phone and Web-based Support Plans Available

Phone: (770) 841-8009

www.linkedin.com/in/doug-mcalexander-1a77623

Please Accept as Solution if I helped you. Likes are also much appreciated.
Message 5 of 13
BrettQ

Hi,

Will SPM allow you to cross reference between parent & child components between the main and sub projects?

Also can you cross reference between source & destination arrows between the main and sub projects?

Cheers Brett

Message 6 of 13
dougmcalexander

If used properly, the main project will see all drawings across all sub-projects. Activate the master project when linking parent to child or linking source to destination.

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Message 7 of 13

Hi Doug,

Is there any possibility that the super project manager can be added to Vanilla AutoCAD, just for the utilization of such tools as the titleblock update?

Cheers,

Mike Miller

Message 8 of 13
dougmcalexander

Hi Mike! The Super Project Manager is an extension of the Project Manager that comes with AutoCAD Electrical. It doesn't stand alone and thus offers no improvement to plain AuroCAD. Are you stuck using plain AutoCAD again? I can't imagine using plain AutoCAD again.

Doug McAlexander

Message 9 of 13

Thanks Doug,
No, I've not been reduced to using Vanilla, but I'm trying to figure out a
way to have the advantages of the project manager available for the piping
and CSA teams. It was just a long shot hope that maybe it could be
integrated into Vanilla. Not to worry, I will look at other options.
Cheers,
Mike
Message 10 of 13
dougmcalexander

Are you still in Canada? You mentioned CSA. You know Electrical has the ability to create piping and instrumentation diagrams right?

Doug McAlexander

Message 11 of 13

Yes, still in Canada, in Calgary. CSA was actually a reference to the
Civil, Structural and Architectural team.
Message 12 of 13
STEVENAR
in reply to: dougmcalexander

Hi Doug,

Can you advise how much this Super Project Manager add on is.

Thanks.

Message 13 of 13
dougmcalexander

Contact me direct at: www.ecadconsultant. com or ecadconsultant@gmail.com

Doug McAlexander

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost