AutoCAD Electrical General Discussion

AutoCAD Electrical General Discussion

josephkalish
Message 1 of 4 (793 Views)

substation wiring schematics

793 Views, 3 Replies
09-14-2007 08:56 AM
hello everyone :-)

I I am required to advise on the this subject for a supportive software.for a long term aspect
which means either working manually with autocad and using manual labor or buying a more expansive software which will same man hour

in my checks I have crossed with several packages among other were Autocad's electrical, Aucotec elcad 7.3 and a FTZ schem elect .

can anyone help me by showing significant differences ?

much obliged

Joseph
SubStationDesignGuy
Message 2 of 4 (793 Views)

Re: substation wiring schematics

09-17-2007 11:47 AM in reply to: josephkalish
Hi Joseph,

Before the purchase of ecad our elementary schematics, relay protection diagrams, wire diagrams, ect… were manually created using Microstation or Autocad. We were putting a lot of design and drafting time into our schematics and diagrams. I too was tasked to reduce engineering costs for our Substation Design Team. I began to research electrical cad design software. I had looked at Eplan, Promis-e, and AutoCad Electrical. They were all good at what they do but we needed a versatile software package which we could run with AutoCad and Microstation. Eplan seamed to be very powerful, but they had their own cad drafting interface which was difficult to use. AutoCad Electrical did the job ok to, although it didn’t integrate directly with our Microstation drawings. Autocad electrical seemed to have more manually update buttons than Promis-e and Eplan. Like cross-references would need to be updated by selecting a button, where Eplan and Promis-e just automatically kept all that info up to date all the time no matter of the scenario. We ended up choosing Promis-e. When we did our pilot testing, Promis-e integrated very well with our other business systems. The Promis-e core database is in SQL, the same format as our business systems. Our test pilot consumed of over 100 pages and the SQL database performed better than the AutoCad Electrical system and Access Database. Another cool feature is the wiring diagram function, AutoCad Electrical’s seamed to function fine, but it involved more setup time with wire routing. Promis-e has a shortest distance function which automatically figures out the preferred routing path for your common signals. In addition, Promis-e wire diagrams are dynamic and you don’t have to select an update button.

Since the implementation of Promis-e I figure we cut down engineering labor by 35%. We are now implementing the integration with our Komax Machines. Promis-e generates a wire schedule with length and termination information and that get imported into our Komax wire cutting machine. I figure once we fully implement this feature, that would save about 25-35% on the manufacturing side. We hope to have this implemented in then next few weeks.

I would recommend contacting the Promis-e guys. They were very helpful thru the sales processes and still very helpful on support topics. Their support plan allows me to contact Promis-e’s support department directly by phone. This has helped out a lot, just being able to speak with Promis-e directly. They were able to offer suggestions and implementation and configuration for my needs.

Good Luck! on your research.

Jimmy
josephkalish
Message 3 of 4 (793 Views)

09-17-2007 12:18 PM in reply to: josephkalish
hey Jimmy

thank you for relating to my problem,your answer has given me much required data.specially referring to the data base issue

I still need to figure out what do aucotec offers ? which e-plan does not and vice versa but that is a different issue

have a great day

Joseph

Joseph
SubStationDesignGuy
Message 4 of 4 (793 Views)

09-18-2007 06:53 AM in reply to: josephkalish
Hi Joseph,

Sorry I can't off much technical detail on the aucotec products. I briefly looked at them. I saw that they work with VISIO, which didn't fit in with our engineering groups. We needed something to work with Microstation and AutoCad.

Good Luck!

Jimmy
Announcements
Manufacturing Community
The Manufacturing Community provides additional access to tips, tutorials, blogs and networking with peers.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

New AutoCAD Electrical Category!

The AutoCAD Electrical forum has moved into it's very own category page, and can no longer be found within the Additional Product Forums.