AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

sub-assembly

15 REPLIES 15
Message 1 of 16
april_herr
757 Views, 15 Replies

sub-assembly

I am wanting to build a fused terminal block with a fuse holder associated with it for my panel layout.  I know that I have to use sub-assembly but I'm unsure exactly what to do.  Any suggestions?

15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
Icemanau
in reply to: april_herr

This is fairly easy to do IF you know what you are doing....

First of all, make sure you have all the correct part numbers and descriptions either on hand or already in your catalog database.

Now insert a fuse in a dwg, go to catalog lookup, and highlight the fuse that will be used in the fused terminal block.

Click on add down at the bottom of the dialog. Now change the description to show it is used in the fused terminal block.

Now look for two tick boxes, one should be marked Main ->subassembly. Tick this box and put a code (the code is whatever you want - I would suggest FTB for Fused Terminal Block) into the Assembly Code box which should now be available before click OK. This should give you a duplicate entry for the fuse with the original still allowing you to use it in normal fuseholders.

If you have more than one fuse that you need to do this for, do them now in the same manner and using the same code.

Once all the fuses you require have been added or modified, click on the ADD button again and add (or modify) the parts for the fused terminal block into the same table as the fuses. When filling in the information fields for the parts, you need to check the box marked As subassembly before placing the same code used in the fuse itself in the Assemblylist box.

Once all the new parts have been added or modified, click on one of the fuses that are to go into the terminal block fuse and click Catalog Check. This should give you a list of all the parts required.

Using the same Assembly code in the various fuse ratings means that each different rating will use the same fuse holder parts even if the rating on each fuse is different and you don't need a seperate set of entries for each fuse rating.

Regards Brad

Icemanau (NNTP handle: Brad Coleman
AutoCAD Electrical User and IT Hardware Support

Message 3 of 16
april_herr
in reply to: Icemanau

I wasn't able to find my fuse holder in the catalog lookup, so I added it, clicked main- assembly, used DCFTB as the code, then added my terminal block info, clicked sub-assembly with DCFTB as the code.  I then tried to insert using the fuse holder part number, and the catalog lookup didn't find it.  Where did I go wrong? 

I would like to choose the dc fuse holder and automatically get a tb with it.  And ac the same.

Message 4 of 16
april_herr

Another question I have:  I have setup many new catalog entries, chose the "add manufacturer" and chose a dwg with a wblock I made prior.  Hope that makes sense...  Those catalog entries won't be tied in any way to those files, will they?

Message 5 of 16
april_herr

Any ideas?

Message 6 of 16
Icemanau
in reply to: april_herr

Depending on how you entered the code, a lot could be wrong.

The best way is to edit the main component, Select the code and hit CTRL-C. Next edit the sub componentsselect whatever is in the sub assembly box and hit CTRL-V. This ensures that the code is exactly the same between the two entries. Even a change between upper and lower case will cause problems.

The other thing I have noticed, is that they must be in the same table. If you have the main component in the FU (FUSE) table and the other components in the TRMS (TERMINALS) table, it wont work.

Other times you have to exit out of the Lookup and then re-enter it to allow the changes to be assimilated or even re-start ACADE. Worst case would be having to re-boot the computer after setting something like this up.

Regards Brad

Message 7 of 16
robbm2k

Brad,

It sounds like you are familiar with the subassembly process, but my ACADE2012 is having issues (or just a lack of functionality). We have hundreds of different subassemblies and I wanted to make a copy of one, but cannot access these subassemblies to make copies, edit them, etc. I've tried clicking the 'display subassembly entries only for editing' but that, for whatever reason, is not showing all of the subassemblies (or entries that have something in the ASSEMBLYLIST field). For one table, it shows maybe 50 entries when this is checked. When i go to the MDB file and sort the same table, i come up with a couple hundred entries...

any thoughts?

Message 8 of 16
Icemanau
in reply to: robbm2k

Try de-selecting the 'Symbol name filtering ON' in the parts catalog. I have noticed that this function seems to hide all the sub assemblies and other items that shouldn't be hidden.

You may also want to select 'Subassembly values in pulldowns' for more functionallity.

When you say you want to copy a sub assembly, what exactly do you mean here.

Are you trying to copy the complete main entry and sub assemblies, Just the sub assembly information to use in another main component or the entire subassembly entry.

To copy the complete entry try selecting the entry, and clicking on 'Add'. then just make any adjustments you need.

To copy the just the sub assembly codes to use in another main entry, highlight the appropriate code(s) in the Assemblycode box and paste into the assemblycode box in the new main component.

As for copying the sub assembly's entry in the database, unless you are going to add it into another table, there is no need. If you use the same assembly code , it will get pulled out into different main components.

For example -  I have several indicator lights set up to use individual components. The head (lens) is the main component, with individual calls out to the matching LED lamp and the fixing collar on the back that hold everything together.

The lamps all use seperate assemblycodes to get the different colours but the collar uses one code that is repeated in each main entry. This means I only have one entry for the collar in the database but it is called by a lot of different components (indicators and push buttons) from the same manufacturer.

Regarsd Brad

Message 9 of 16
robbm2k

- I always uncheck the filter by WDBLKNAM to keep from missing anything (this is actually something i wish was a setting to keep that checkmark cleared, it seems every time i switch projects, etc, I have to clear that checkmark again - do you know if that can be set to unchecked as a default somewhere?)

- The subassy in pulldowns is where i'm stuck right now. ACADE2009 had that pulldown in the query fields, but i cannot find that anywhere in ACADE2012. That (i would think) would fix the problem, unless you mean the checkmark for 'display sub entries only for editing, because that is what i've tried and it's only showing 10-20% of the subassy entries in this specific table. Other tables show all of the subassy entries, but this table isn't (i can see all of them when i look through the file in MS Access).

- by 'copying the sub' i mean that i have a subassembly entries (ASSEMBLYLIST) for a part with QTY 4 of that part. I'd like to create a new entry for that same part # but with a QTY of 5. In 2009, i would simply select the existing subassy entry and then select ADD, then change the COUNT field and the ASSEMBLYLIST field (from PARTX-4 to PARTX-5 for example). Then I would create a new 'parent' item that calls out the new subassy entry.

I have also done what you propose when reusing the subassy for different 'main' or 'parent' components. In this case, it's the subassy that needs modifying, so I need to create a new subassy. Even if I'm creating an entirely new subassy (using lamps for example), I would prefer to select an existing subassy for a 24V red lamp when I create a 120V red lamp and use that as the starting point, so i can make sure I'm using similar naming convention, ASSEMBLYLIST code, etc so that the database is easier to manage.

Message 10 of 16
robbm2k

partscatalog1.png

The picture above is of the catalog in 2012, I have all the filters cleared, with the exception of the MFR (SMC), and the display subassy option checked, only a few entries. now below, the view of the MDB file in Access, I have the MFR filtered (SMC) and showing only ASSEMBLYLIST fields that aren't blanks (so only subassy entries), 54 total entries...

partscatalog2.png

Message 11 of 16
Icemanau

I think someone else may have to pick up this problem as I'm stuck using 2008.

Regards Brad

Message 12 of 16
robbm2k

just a bump to this in case anyone else can offer an explanation as to why i'm only seeing some of the subassy entries in ACADE, but all of them in MS Access...

Message 13 of 16
saju_321

Hi

I think i am also facing more or less the same issue here.

I have different footprints which have the same catalogue information in a drawing and want to link these footprints as main assembly-sub assemblies inorder to get a single line item in my BoM. Currently i am getting wrong results in my BoM (Screenshot attached). Each of these footprints as identified as separate items. 

Mine is a case were i have an enlcosure which has a part number and different foot prints for backpan, door, side walls, floor etc. But all these foot prints are having the same catalogue information. How do get a correct BoM here?

Message 14 of 16
dougmcalexander
in reply to: saju_321

Only one footprint should have attributes.  If you duplicate attributes, you will get duplicate entries on the BOM.  Look at how the enclosures insert from Autodesk.  They insert using the asterisk as the leading character in the Footprint Lookup database.  The enlosure inserts as one block but explodes one level so there might be a door, subpanel, and side view.  But only one of those will get the attributes pushed in. You that inserting a panel from the Enclosure menu in the Panel Menu, uses the Footprint Lookup.  Inserting in this fashion triggers a subroutine in the code that pushes one set of attributes into one of the blocks after the one level explode is finished.

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Phone and Web-based Support Plans Available

Phone: (770) 841-8009

www.linkedin.com/in/doug-mcalexander-1a77623

Please Accept as Solution if I helped you. Likes are also much appreciated.
Message 15 of 16
saju_321

Hi dougmcalexander

I understand the part were you are saying i have to add attribute only to one of the footprints.

The part that i don't understand is 'one level explode'

Could you please elaborate

Thanks,

Message 16 of 16
dougmcalexander
in reply to: saju_321

Insert RITTAL E302416 from the Panel menu Enclosure Lookup and you will see that all three pieces are together until you finish inserting them.  The asterisk in front of the block name in the Footprint_Lookup.mdb file triggers the AutoCAD engine to execute the Explode command.  After the insertion is completed, you will see three separate blocks.  The edit dialog pops up so you can fill in something like a tag, description, etc., but notice that the middle of the three blocks is actually the "smart" one.  The software merged a block from the root of the Libs/Panel folder into the middle block of the three.  This merged block is inserted at the base point of the middle block.  The other two pieces of the enclosure get no attributes and are therefore dumb blocks.

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Phone and Web-based Support Plans Available

Phone: (770) 841-8009

www.linkedin.com/in/doug-mcalexander-1a77623

Please Accept as Solution if I helped you. Likes are also much appreciated.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost