AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strange reaction to newly created symbol.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
testsubject
260 Views, 4 Replies

Strange reaction to newly created symbol.

After I insert this symbol, it takes forever to do an edit or retag on the symbol. And when I say forever, I meant 3 minutes.

After this is over, I check the text window and see these lines which I never noticed before:

Command:  _.ZOOM
Specify corner of window, enter a scale factor (nX or nXP), or
[All/Center/Dynamic/Extents/Previous/Scale/Window/Object] <real time>: 1X
Command: _.ZOOM
[All/Center/Dynamic/Extents/Previous/Scale/Window/Object] <real time>: _PREV
Command:
 Searching for PLC address. . ._.ZOOM
[All/Center/Dynamic/Extents/Previous/Scale/Window/Object] <real time>: 1.0X
Command: _.ZOOM
[All/Center/Dynamic/Extents/Previous/Scale/Window/Object] <real time>: _PREV
Command:

The one that gets me is the "Searching for PLC Address" line. This is not  PLC part. It is going to be a component that represents a slipring assembly. If I check a different component, the edit dialog box pops up like normal. The only real difference from my other components is that I am using WD_JUMPERS to tie the terminals together left to right.

I did delete and rebuild the project's scratch database so that is not it.

Any clues??

Bob Hanrahan
Ace User since 1998
If this answered your question, please click on "Accept Solution"
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Bob, I tested your symbol and it seems to work just fine.  I checked the WD_JUMPERS attribute value and all looks in order.  In fact I tested that the wire numbers carried through from left to right.  There is no delay when I insert or edit and I see no reference to searching for PLC address.  The program expects a symbol name to begin with PLCIO if it is to be treated as a PLC.

Just a thought.  Have you purged all previous occurrences of the symbol from your drawings, or used Update Block, just to be sure there are no leftover problems from a previous insertion. I know that when I create symbols this large, it sometimes takes a but of tweaking until they are perfect.  I have very similar symbols I use for Flex I/O.  I also use the WD_JUMPERS attribute to internally jumper the DC+ and DC common.

I am using ACE 2012 with Windows 7 64-bit.

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Phone and Web-based Support Plans Available

Phone: (770) 841-8009

www.linkedin.com/in/doug-mcalexander-1a77623

Please Accept as Solution if I helped you. Likes are also much appreciated.
Message 3 of 5
testsubject
in reply to: testsubject

Thanks for trying Doug.

I did try all the things you suggested before I posted. It is really strange. The funny thing is that I have other symbols that are very similar to this one and I have no problems with them.  I was hoping that I just overlooking something. That whole "Searching..." thing is making me wonder what is going on. I will try again on Monday and see if there is something I am missing. Sometimes a couple of days distance causes things to become clearer...

Bob Hanrahan
Ace User since 1998
Message 4 of 5
rhesusminus
in reply to: testsubject

Hi Bob.

It got it to use more than 30 seconds to insert your component, when this checkbox was checked (Not exactly 3 minutes, but it might be your problem. Many connection points, many wires to check for an I/O):

Capture.PNG

THL

Trond Hasse Lie
AutoCAD Electrical and EPLAN expert
Ctrl Alt El
Please select "Accept Solution" if this post answers your question. 'Likes' won't hurt either. 😉
Message 5 of 5
testsubject
in reply to: rhesusminus

THL,

That was it! This was a very subtle problem.

Sometimes it is good to throw it up for everone to see. It can be hard to notice something like this if you are too close to the problem.

Bob Hanrahan
Ace User since 1998

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost