AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sprecher & Schuh (KTA7-25S-4.0A) Motor Circuit Controller Symbol ?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
652 Views, 4 Replies

Sprecher & Schuh (KTA7-25S-4.0A) Motor Circuit Controller Symbol ?

I'm somewhat new to AutoCad Electrical (2014), so this question may not be the most technically demanding.  I'm putting together a ladder schematic which includes a 3p motor circuit controller from Sprecher & Schuh (KTA7-25S-4.0A).  It combines a few functions including short circuit protection, thermal overload protection, etc..  How can I find the schematic symbol for this device for use in Electrical?  I'm guessing something like this is not a "standard" component, so what's the best plan-of-attack to try to find something?  Maybe someone has already created a symbol for it, if so, what's the best method to try to find it?  Another throught, maybe another manufacturer has a similar device that does already have a symbol available that I could use.  Again, how to find it?  Last option would be creating it myself, if that's necessary, how do I do that?  Appreciate any help.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Icemanau
in reply to: Anonymous

I would assume that it has contacts that control the power flow to the motor as well as monitorint the current flow, motor temperature and control signals.

My suggestion would be to insert three contacts in the power side along with 3 CT's. Have the CT's feed into a box symbol with all symbols being child symbols.

Now all you need is either a power supply as the parent or a coil. and some child symbols for inputs. See the attached Drawing1 for an example.

Another option is to have the power feed shown going through a box which would contain the CT's and contacts. See Draawing2 for another example.

These are just basic examples and would never be something that I would use in the field without a fair few more controls and safeties in place...

Regards Brad

>

Brad Coleman, Electrical Draftsman
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 5
drathak

How would you have drawn this before ACADE?  If as a series of contacts, coils and CT's, all of those pieces exist in ACADE.  All you'd need is to add an entry in the catalog database.  To me, ACADE should be looked at as a way to use as few basic symbols as possible to represent as many different devices as possible.  The habit with plain ACAD was to make a specialized symbol for everything.  I now try to avoid that whenever possible.

Well, except for panel footprints...

If previously drawn as a device similar to what Brad suggests, then it's time to get your hands dirty and create a new symbol.  That's a skill set you need to develop anyway.

--------------
Joe Weaver
Principle Associate Engineer - Nashville Electric Service
P&C Committee Chair – SDS Industry Consortium
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: drathak

I certainly understand that I COULD spend the time to create my own symbol for the SS KTA7 Motor Circuit Controller.  But, it's hard to believe I'd be the first person to do this for the KTA7.  What I was really hoping to get was some tips about how to go about finding symbols that have already been created.  Are there any specfiic sites that people have used that allow people to share created symbols?  Searching the net, I've found some hit-and-miss options for symbol sharing sites but I was hoping to get feedback from active users who have had success with specific sites.  Anyone have any comments?

Regarding the SS KTA7 device, I did finally break-down and worked through the process of creating my own symbol for it (yes, I understand this is important and I wasn't trying to get away from it, just alot to learn up-front).  Unfortunately, I haven't even been able to find a defined view of exactly what the symbol should look like (Sprecher & Schuh docs. have some elements but not the complete symbol).  And of course, the device is configurable, with trip contacts & aux. contacts (bottom & side mounted - NO/NC), which makes it even more difficult.  I guess the best option would be some type of dynamic block symbol that would re-configure itself based on the selected options (wish the component vendors would spend the few minutes and just create these when they are released, that would make our lives soooo much easier!).  This application is using a series of KTA7-25S-4.0A devices (with dual AUX contacts NO).  It's not 100% complete yet but here's what I have so far:

ScreenHunter_171 Jun. 17 16.49.jpg

I'm stumbling a bit on all the details in the symbol builder and getting colors and layer settings correct.  If something looks stupid here, please let me know.  If anyone wants the block when I get it completed, just let me know and I'll send it along.

Thanks.

Message 5 of 5
Icemanau

One important thing when creating blocks is to keep everything on layer 0 and have the default line type, colour and thicknes all be by layer.

ACADE will place the attributes on the correct layers for you and they will then take on the layer settings. The symbol itself will be placed on either the SUM or PSYM layers depending on if its a panel symbol or not.

The dwgs I attached used out of the box blocks for the most part. The only ones I had to make was the digital inputs & power supply blocks.

Regards Brad

>

Brad Coleman, Electrical Draftsman
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost