AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Source Destination arrows across projects

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
dreamweaver04
897 Views, 7 Replies

Source Destination arrows across projects

Can source/Destination arrows be used across projects?  For example, I have a "Panel A" sub-project, and an "Panel B" sub-project, and they are both combined in a "master project" in PM.  However, Panel B is a "remote control station" of Panel A.  I know the outgoing Terminal Block in Panel A will designate where the wire "stops" for Panel A, but how can I  ID where the remote control station (Panel B)  picks up the same wire. In the past I have just Mtexted in the references, but it seems there should be a way to intellingently reference the two points in AcadE.  Excuse my ignorance if this has already been answered elsewhere, I have only been using AcadE for about 10 mo. so if this isn't possible with ACADe, I'll just go back to the old method. Smiley Happy

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
ccad2509
in reply to: dreamweaver04

The answer is sorta !!!!!

if you have both panels in a single project and use the installation/location functions then you can define 1 panel as a1+b1 then the second panel can be a1+b2

which are 2 distinctive seperate entities  were it all falls apart ACADE not a fully implement the use of Inst/loc Code on wire number so you genrate a shed load of errors if you have the same wire number in both panels

see my moan about it in the ideas section

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/autocad-electrical-ideastation/try-house-keeping/idi-p/5160059

from thier you can knit together the wires and cable going between then panels

1 of my current projects has 5 main panels 2 large field junction boxes and approx 300 cables running between these and the field devices all in a project set up with each panel being in a differnet Location Field

so the answer is yes sorta !!!!!!

Message 3 of 8

I think I may have figured out a way to do this, if "wire number" isn't required to follow through to "Panel B". (Which is my case it isn't required).  AESAXREF should get me what i need, it is WAY better than Mtext! 

Message 4 of 8
drathak

@dweaver1 wrote:

Can source/Destination arrows be used across projects?  For example, I have a "Panel A" sub-project, and an "Panel B" sub-project, and they are both combined in a "master project" in PM.  However, Panel B is a "remote control station" of Panel A.  I know the outgoing Terminal Block in Panel A will designate where the wire "stops" for Panel A, but how can I  ID where the remote control station (Panel B)  picks up the same wire. In the past I have just Mtexted in the references, but it seems there should be a way to intellingently reference the two points in AcadE.  Excuse my ignorance if this has already been answered elsewhere, I have only been using AcadE for about 10 mo. so if this isn't possible with ACADe, I'll just go back to the old method. Smiley Happy

Are these individual "wires" or are they part of a cable?  I ask because I have numerous panels and cabinets in my project with cables going between them and have not had this issue.  I am not doing "sub-projects" though.  It is all one project.  By chance, are you calling sub-folders within the project "sub-projects"?  Because to my knowledge AutoCAD Electrical doesn't support sub-projects out of the box.

At any rate, if you can provide a sample of what you are needing to do, maybe someone can help.  But I think you have hit upon the right track with the Stand Alone cross reference.

--------------
Joe Weaver
Principle Associate Engineer - Nashville Electric Service
P&C Committee Chair – SDS Industry Consortium
Message 5 of 8
dreamweaver04
in reply to: drathak

These are individual wires.  I do have subfolders in the "master project" but those are only used for organization. It is my understanding that those subfolders are only "virtual folders" withine ACADe.  I've attached some images to help you better understand my application. (this is a different project than listed in my OP). The top number in the hexagon relates to my sheet number, and the bottom number shows the rung. I've followed the "Project-in-Project solutions" from doug's site (http://www.ecadconsultant.com/tips.html#Project_In_Project) and so far it is working fine, except for that small issue. This is my first time I was forced to do this, however, so we'll see how it works out as I progress. Also, FYI, here's my windows explorer file structure for this project. Each of the Fan and Lighting folders have their own wdp files inside, as well as their respective drawings. 

WExplorer_FileStructure.jpg

Message 6 of 8
drathak

@dweaver1 wrote:

These are individual wires.  I do have subfolders in the "master project" but those are only used for organization. It is my understanding that those subfolders are only "virtual folders" withine ACADe.  I've attached some images to help you better understand my application. (this is a different project than listed in my OP). The top number in the hexagon relates to my sheet number, and the bottom number shows the rung. I've followed the "Project-in-Project solutions" from doug's site (http://www.ecadconsultant.com/tips.html#Project_In_Project) and so far it is working fine, except for that small issue. This is my first time I was forced to do this, however, so we'll see how it works out as I progress. Also, FYI, here's my windows explorer file structure for this project. Each of the Fan and Lighting folders have their own wdp files inside, as well as their respective drawings. 

WExplorer_FileStructure.jpg

I wondered if you were using Doug's utility.  I've only skimmed that page before, but I just noticed this.  Could that be part of the problem?

"Create your master project with all necessary drawings, as usual. Next create another project for just the schematic drawings, placing its respective .WDP file inside the same folder as the master project.WDP file. Hint: Keep all drawings in the master project folder."

By that I would think having a .WDP file in those other folders might cause problems.  But I don't know for sure.

Also, I would think you would have to have the master project active to make signals work between sub-projects.  Does that sound right?

--------------
Joe Weaver
Principle Associate Engineer - Nashville Electric Service
P&C Committee Chair – SDS Industry Consortium
Message 7 of 8
dreamweaver04
in reply to: drathak

I'm actually NOT using Doug's utility (yet). Smiley Happy  I guess I basically did manually what (apparently) that utility does automatically?  At any rate, the method I used appears to be working so far. Not sure if the WDP in those folders will cause issues, but so far they haven't. I don't think ACADe reads those WDP's unless they are active in PM.  As Doug states (italics mine): 

Right click the schematic only project and select Add Drawings. Add only the schematic drawings to this project. Repeat this procedure again for the panel layout, and again for the wire list, and finally for the bill-of-materials. You now have one master project for performing project-wide edits and updates. But you also have 4 individual projects which you can activate to perform a title block update, allowing each of these "sub-projects" to have its own unique project line label data and thus a separate document number, description, page numbering, etc

At this point, I have the "Master" project active, (Fan & Lighting) and am working on doing my project wide edits, as well as project-wide cross-referencing. The individual WDP's are not active; only the "master" WDP.  The way I understand the above, if I need to work on just the "Fan" project for instance, I can close the "master" project, and open the WDP for "Fan" in PM, and perform my edits only on that project.   Upon re-opening the "master" project, all those edits follow through. I think this will turn out to be pretty cool, actually. I had no idea that ACADe could do this until I came across Doug's site. One thing I am not sure yet is how Titleblock update will work, I'll get to that later.   

Message 8 of 8
Icemanau

I actually create and use sub folders to organise my panel dwgs.

All the wdp files are in the main dwg directory along with various sub folders for the different panels and one for the complete board.

When you add the dwgs to the wdp's, ACADE inserts the path relative the wdp file if they are not in the same directory.

This actually makes it fairly easy to copy the panel projects when I have to duplicate panels. I'm not searching for specific dwgs in a large group but just selecting the contents of an entire directory.

Of course, I am still stuck on 2008 at work so I can't use the fancy sub folders within the project there. The wdp files that include sub folders also cause problems if you try to open them in a version of ACADE that does not support them.

Regards Brad

>

Brad Coleman, Electrical Draftsman
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost